Snowy

Blakeney

All you Nor - folk have a little gem tucked away on the coast! OH and I just got back from a couple of nights in Blakeney. What a gorgeous place! We had a short break without children - click on my www link to read about it in my blog.

DSCF1489.jpg

DSCF1486.jpg

It's been mentioned on here a few times lately and I've never been before. It lived up to all your recommendations!

Oh well, back down to earth and reality now :lol:

We've just come back from half term in Norfolk and Blakeney was recommended to us! Sadly, we never made it up there.

I did however, manage to drive past the Chicken Roundabout! I was all excited about it (sad, I know!) but there was only one lonely cockeral standing there. He was lovely - beautiful colouring - but I'd expected to see loads of them :( .

I did however, manage to drive past the Chicken Roundabout! I was all excited about it (sad, I know!) but there was only one lonely cockeral standing there. He was lovely - beautiful colouring - but I'd expected to see loads of them :( .
Chicken roundabout is not far from me and we often drive round it but rarely see loads of chickens. I think they spend most of their time in the trees, there is an old man who feeds them and once I went past when he was there and there was quite a crowd round him. I read once in the local paper that there is mostly cockerals as the girls get stolen and boys get dumped. :(

Blakeney is lovely. I would like to encourage everybody who comes to Norfolk to go there ....

... then they wouldn't come to the other places along the North Norfolk coast!

On a serious note, we are absolutely stacked full over the summer and it does cause us a load of problems. I don't know what the answer is - everybody has a right to visit lovely places and see the coast, but permenant residents do sometimes get a bit miffed when the roads are clogged up with chelsea tractors and families all over the place.

If you are going to come to visit us, and despite my apparent nimby, selfish attitude to visitors to our area I do encourage you to come (to Blakeney :wink: ), please make sure you support our local industries - buy petrol here so that we can keep some garages (don't just fill your tank up at a Tesco's on the way) and buy food from our little local shops.

We are losing our shops and facilities because there aren't enough people here to support them in the winter, and in the summer although there are loads of people, they bring stuff with them.

Rant over!

its a very similar situation down here in Devon & Cornwall. our local town's shops are suffering because of the out of town ones.

I've never been to Norfolk or anywhere around the east coast of Britain for that matter, maybe its time we paid a visit.....your pics look lovely snowy. :D

Ihe also says it rains a lot :(:(

Tessa

It certainly doesn't rain a lot.

We have far less rain than elsewhere. Its so flat in Lincolnshire that nothing drops there, and we aren't much wetter.

As I teenager I used to fish with my Grandad, whose fishing boat was moored in Blakeney pit, and then sell the mackeral we caught on Blakeney quay. This would be in the 60's, when you could go out and get a couple of hundred mackeral in a few hours if you caught the shoals right. Nowdays you'd be lucky to get a dozen all day.

I also love Blakeney, in fact I love the whole North Norfolk coast. I would

love to move to Norfolk, but DH refuses :cry: he says it is too flat, he couldn't live anywhere without 'views' he also says it rains a lot :(:(

Tessa

norfolk actually has one of the lowest rainfalls in the country

Yup, the gulf stream dumps all the warm, wet air on the west coast, so Wales and Ireland are very wet. It's usually run out by the time it gets east. Having said that - the coastal are has quite different weather from inland - on Monday, we woke up to pouring rain in Stalham, but by the time we'd got to Dilly's (40 minutes inland) it was fine.

I also love Blakeney, in fact I love the whole North Norfolk coast. I would

love to move to Norfolk, but DH refuses :cry: he says it is too flat, he couldn't live anywhere without 'views' he also says it rains a lot :(:(

Tessa

North Norfolk is not really flat. No majestic mountains but certainly not flat