bellekatz

Sorry Toby

Well after two weeks of having Toby at home he had to go back to the rescue. We all felt really bad about it but were advised that it would be best all round. He had major problems meeting other dogs having been attacked not long before we had him and would attack any passing dog in the park totally unprovoked. Good job he had so few teeth really! He also thought chasing cats was fun and had chunks of fur out of three of my cats who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. They were terrified of him :cry: Final straw was when he growled at DS one evening so he had to go.

As we have heard no more from the rescue ( i am very dissapointed in them - after numerous phone calls and promises of support and visits they didnt do anything) we had decided that the only way of ensuring a dog will cope with our six cats is to train one from scratch so we went to see a litter of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels on Sunday and fell for Jack. He will be coming to live with us in mid November and we are hoping that his age and breed will help him to get used to our cats fairly quickly.

jack1.jpg

We hope Toby finds a new home in a quieter area and one wherehe is the only pet in the house so he can get the attention he deserves. :(

Toby was 9. He was very big and strong for a springer and could pull like steam engine. He would rather strangle himself than stop chasing cats and squirrels when we were out!! :roll: He would also get over the baby gates if he saw one of our cats in the house which wasnt useful at all.

Spaniels pulling never!! :lol::lol:

They are incredibly strong and walking on leads isn't always their strong point, also there is such a thing as Spaniel aggression.....

I think you did the right thing and having a pup is the best option in such a busy household

I wish we had a cat the same time we had our first Spaniel - he will chase them given the chance - if he'd had them around as a pup there would be no novelty with them :roll:

Spaniels pulling never!! :lol::lol:

They are incredibly strong and walking on leads isn't always their strong point, also there is such a thing as Spaniel aggression.....

I think you did the right thing and having a pup is the best option in such a busy household

I wish we had a cat the same time we had our first Spaniel - he will chase them given the chance - if he'd had them around as a pup there would be no novelty with them :roll:

he was actually much better walking when we took him back than he was when we got him :):) That was until he saw a cat or a squirrel - hard to miss in an area next to a large park and meadows! If it had been just the issue with the cats or just the fear aggression then we would have tried to work it out with him but our cats lived in the conservatory for 2 weeks while he was around and were too scared to come out if he was in the kitchen :cry: I have felt so guilty that we had to take him back but am sure now that a pup would be the best thing for the cats and us.

Awww.

its amazing how quickly we become attached to animals isn't it - I'm sure they will find a new home for him....

The problem I have is that my two are very rarely on leads...... when I need to put them on they have forgotten how to behave :roll:

And I couldn't trust Dylan to walk down a road without chasing a cat or squirrel - thank god we live out in the sticks!! :roll:

Helen

I'm sorry it didn't work out with toby. We nearly went down that route as we really wanted to rescue a dog but we also found the two local (Dogs Trust) centres to be very unhelpful. i have one grandchild who was terrified of dogs and as both grandchildren are here at least twice a week, it was important we had the right dog.

We also ended up buying a puppy and it has been wonderful to watch Lauren go from running round the room over the top of the furniture because a tiny puppy was nearby to sitting in the dog bed with Jazz and cuddling her and asking to take her out for walks.

Toby will find the right person I'm sure.

That's a real shame - a good rescue centre should have identified those problems before letting you take Toby, and they should have offered more support. My friend's just got a rescued greyhound, and they are 'cat tested' before they home them (not sure how much fun that is for the cat :? !) Hopefully next time he will find the right home - it's got to be the right match, and as you say perhaps he needs to be an 'only' pet.

Jack looks very cute, I hope he settles in well with the cats!