Popcorn

4ft Fence

Hmmm....I wasn't sure where to post my dilema, but seeing as it involves planting, I've popped it in here.

Our next door neighbour has recently replaced the hedge dividing our gardens, with a 4ft fence. We have suddenly lost all of our privacy, and as much as I like a chin wag over the fence, it's becoming too much. Everytime I go out into the garden, I get collared.

I am now creeping round the garden like a commando when I just want to see to the hens or peg some washing out without being accosted for half and hour.

It is a delicate situation as I don't want to cause any ill feeling at all, as the neighbours are lovely elderly people and of course I don't want to ruin the look of the lovely new fence by putting up taller fencing on our side.

But - we need some privacy back in our own back garden. Something put in place that makes it difficult for a head to appear over the fence whenever we go outside. We can't add trellis, there's no room ontop of the fence to fix it to anything. They've added some nice decorative balls to the top of the fence posts.

I was wondering about some sort of plant/tree/shrub that I could dot along the fence to shelter us a little, but I haven't got any ideas. I thought about clematis or honeysuckle, but that will grow over the fence and will definatley get cut down on their side.

Hopefully somebody will come up with an idea for us.

Hmm it is a bit of a funny situation isnt it! :?

Can you put tall slim posts of some sort on your side with a view to tying some gardeners twine along it and growing tall climbers which you have suggested or sweetpeas which should last most of the summer, smell fantastic and will block them out.

Passion flower is really easy to grow and looks great - mine is like a triffid (?) and still flowering now! :D

Hmm, tricky. Could you put some trellis up that sticks into the ground on your side and would be held up by attaching it to their fence?

Alternatively, perhaps if you wear a pair of huge headphones and sing loudly every time you go out they might start trying to avoid YOU :lol:.

If they're a bit deaf, maybe you could try the "oh, there's my phone ringing, must go" method a few times! Or make up a list of things you have to get back inside for - doorbell/something on stove/need the loo :wink: etc.

:shock: Oh dear, didn't they consult you in any way before they went ahead? I have to say that I favour a 2 metre fence, 'high fences make good neighbours' and all that.

Have you thought of maybe a fast growing bamboo, potted so it doesn't take over the garden, and also you can move it around along the boundary to find out where you need it most. Some varieties grow to 10 feet and are quite thick, they make good species plants. Rhapsody has already mentioned Russian vine (mile a minute), so maybe a pergola near the house or wherever you need it with russian vine growing up it? A row of slim fruit trees near the fence maybe? I have some mock orange which is really tall (so tends not to overhang) and would happily grow against a fence too. I have quite a few tall thin plants as I have a narrow garden, I will find out some names and get back to you.

How much of a boundary do you share with them?

Some great idea there guys, thank you. I have a passion flower on the other side, and I hadn't considered that. It does grow fast and stays green. It would get chopped on their side though I think... I like the idea of attaching some taller trellis to the fence and growing some sort of vine up it, and the fruit trees sounds great. It a very warm sunny side, so they'd be perfect there. The boundary is quite long, 13 fence panels.

They did ask us about the fence before they went ahead. We hadn't got half the cash to stump up (£300) when they approached us about it, so we said we were happy for the hedge to stay. There was nothing wrong with it. We were really surprised when they decided to go ahead with it. Of course, the fence is really theirs as they paid for it. I'm not sure on which side the boundary is ours though. We were never great at keeping the hedge properly trimmed, especially when Stefan came along, time was precious and trimming the hedge wasn't a priority. With them being retired, every spare minute is spent pruning, digging, wedding......and chatting!

Headphones. Well, when I mow the lawn I always wear them now, so that when I stop the mower to empty the grass, and the head pops over the fence, I can be a bit ignorant if I want to - and get the lawn mowed in 10 minutes instead of an hour!

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'm going to have a look at a garden centre at the weekend and see what's what ready for spring planting.

It's difficult isn't it ... and they probably enjoy being able to look over and see your chickens! I'd go for a trellis or cane structure, supported on your side - there's nothing that says you can't fasten it to your side of the fence. How about an evergreen hydrangea, or jasmine (winter and summer), montana clematis, grapevine, or a lovely climbing rose? They'd still be able to call out if they wanted to chat to you, and yes they'd probably prune it from their side, but you could say that you'd always wanted to have a (whatever you choose) and the lovely new fence is the perfect opportunity to grow one!

What about one of those arbour/seat type things? Then you'd have your back to them, and it would make a great support to grow some of the above against.

It is difficult Olly, as they really are lovely neighbours and would do anything for us. It's just too much everytime we are out there, and it even happens when we have company. I'm not complaining too heavily, it's nice to have a chat over the fence, we just need a little more privacy. It's almost like our garden and what we do with it is up for debate (oh, I wouldn't do that if I were you..I'd do this.....that tree needs a good prune...don't get decking, it will encourage rats....you need to spends an hour a day weeding..... :roll:), and as much as I can take or leave advice we are given.....I don't want it everyday.

I love some of your ideas, and I now have a really good idea of what we can do to hide us away a bit more. We've got some work being done on the patio, so one that's out of the way, i'm going to get cracking.

I had the loveliest neighbours in my last house, I even went on holiday with them once. They not only fed the cat if I was away, he used to trot next door for his dinner and spend the evening in there. We got on so well that they removed a fence-panel so we could move between the two gardens. BUT - yes, I also got 'ooh, you don't want to do that' a lot (they were older than me, and the female half was quite a forceful character!) Once she even came in and pruned one of my shrubs without asking me!

It is a problem, isn't it; sometimes I found myself NOT going out into the garden, because I didn't want a conversation. However, I accepted that I got lots of benefits from the arrangement - cat-feeding, loans of tools, an eye kept on the house, company when I did feel like a chat - and that had to outweigh the downside.

I moved, nearly a year ago, and I have not heard from them since, they didn't even send me a 'New Home' card. People are strange!

I'd go for the tactful, not-too-obtrusive trellis and growing things; if they are keen on gardening, they will appreciate that you want to use the lovely new fence to extend your choice of plants.

Clematis Armandii is good, evergreen and fast growing with lovely scented flowers as a bonus.

My neighbour has the dreaded Leylandi... about 14ft high :roll:

I pay someone to chop it back for me twice a year - so I wouldn't go down the route of planting those personally.

But I too value the ability to wander into my garden in privacy...

Helen

oh dear. thats a very difficult situation. we have some lovely winter jasmine climbing up one of the fences.. and some kind of prikly bush, and bamboo up the rest.

I have a similar problem, except i have a very high fence, but my neighbour has a box he stands on so he can chat to the hens (which is dont mind). What i do mind is when he lets himself into our backgarden and sits by the pond, and chats to the hens..

once apon a time they had a back door key to the cottage in case of emergencies... however that stopped when i was off work ill one day, was having a shower, and the neighbour let himself in.. and made some excuse about seeing one of our cats in his garden, and needing to put him back in the house. (I had only let them out less then 1min before hand, so it was a blatent lie, he must have come to the back door, saw the cat and picked him up on the way in!)

;(

I have something called Kerria Japonica, which grows in lovely tall straight stems to about 10 feet high, they do bend over towards the top though. It will grow nicely along a fence and increase the height, it has lovely yellow pom pom type flowers too. Also Forsythia is about the same height but a little more woody. My favourite has to be the mock orange though for the lovely blossom in June. It will grow in a clump if you let it. and is good for blocking views from neighbouring upstairs windows to parts of your garden you are trying to privatise, as it will grow to around 12 feet. Cotoneaster will spread along the fence and increase the height, but it is fairly slow at first, and will need to be trained and tethered as well. Pyracanthus (sp?) will also grow high and can be trained to cover boards but is very spiky, the birds like the berries though.

Kaz :shock::shock::shock::shock:

I'm shocked that your neighbour just let himself in!! Makes you wonder if he ever did while you were out. Gosh!!

Helen, I'm avioding the leylandi too. We've just helped our friends chop 6 of their down. I wouldn't want that trouble in my garden, and I'm not a fan of them either.

Claire - I've added those plants to my list - some brilliant ideas there.

You guys are fab! I've got a whole list of ideas and names of plants I didn't know, and I think I can make us a bit more private in a very subtle way now. Doing it gradually will also help.

ooh, Kerria Japonica is one of my faves - and if you cut it back after flowering, you often get a second bloom as well! That's a great suggestion.

I am happy for friends to have a key to my house, because I know they'd only come in if asked/in an emergency. If I found someone had come in while I was having a shower, I think I'd freak out though! :shock: Have you checked that he didn't plant any hidden cameras, Kaz! :wink::lol:

Clematis Armandii is good, evergreen and fast growing with lovely scented flowers as a bonus.

My neighbour has the dreaded Leylandi... about 14ft high :roll:

I pay someone to chop it back for me twice a year - so I wouldn't go down the route of planting those personally.

But I too value the ability to wander into my garden in privacy...

Helen

Sound like some shrubs on your side which will grow up gradually so it isn't a sudden shock to your neighhours. Don't get tempted by leylandii - they are a real pain once grown and you will regret it.

It might cost a bit but how about something that isn't too dence - put a couple of cherries or birch trees in, then shrubs in between.