susiepoos

The Mummy Diaries

Not wishing to be morose but did any of you watch the Mummy Diaries last night on channel 4?

What a sad but uplifting programme very sensitively dealt with. I think we should all make memory boxes whether we're terminally ill or not. Steve didn't want me to watch it last week but I waited until he'd gone to bed and watched it on c4+1 - no way I was going to miss it last night.

My problems pale into insignificance when you watch something like that.

No way I could watch this I'm afraid - my friend died at 38 with breast cancer and left hubbie and 4 wee ones (4,6,8 and 10 - I delivered 3 of them), She was the kindest, most laid back person (in contrast to me :roll: ) and when I was in her house they would all talk openly about flowers and songs for her funeral etc. - I tried not to cry in front of her but would howl all the way home :cry: .

Within a few years I lost my friend, my mum, my dad and wee Anna's dad so programmes about death are just too upsetting for me :cry: .

I avoided it on purpose too.

I lost my Dad in May and feel physically sick at the thought of anything happening to my Mum.

I am frightened of something happening to me so that my children have to deal with my death and I can't stand the thought of loosing anyone I love so I try as hard as I can to not think about it. :oops:

I would have been in tears from start to finish and no doubt for hours/days afterwards.

:roll:

I'm another that buried my head in the cushions over this. My best friend lost her Mum when she was eight to breast cancer. My parents fostered her and it was a terrible ordeal for all concerned. I just couldn't bear to go to bed upset and sleep on it.

I think it's because I'm pregnant too. Emotions doing somersaults at the moment.

What a sad but uplifting programme very sensitively dealt with. I think we should all make memory boxes whether we're terminally ill or not.

I watched it last week and recorded last nights programme. I haven't got any kids but I too thought the programme dealt very sensitively with it.

I watched it last week.

It was strange really, when I first saw the trailer I thought it was a terrible thing to have a program about such a sad issue, however on watching it was very impressed by sensitivity in which its been done.

The courage of these women (and their partners) is amazing, their concern for helping and guiding their children through this awful event in their young lives is admirable.

I am sure that there are many parents out there who are going through the same thing and watching this may help them help their families come to terms with losing a parent at a young age.

Helen

I didn't watch it - me and telly :roll:

A very good friend died of breast cancer after suffering for 10 years through operations and treatment. She was a real light - always bright and bubbly and an inspiration to us all. I did my first Race for Life in her honour as I know she'd have wanted to do it, she was married the next day and died 2 weeks later.

A lot of my family have died from cancer and I've had a couple of close calls, so programmes like that always leave me sobbing.

My hubby quite rightly persuaded me not to watch this last week but I did catch the beginning of last nights and it semmed to be well done.

I feel a little selfish for not wanting to face these issues but you just never know what is around the corner.

ED also saw the beginning of the programme and even 5 minutes made her clingy and sad, she is 14 and very sensitive at the moment.

All we can hope is that the future holds happiness and better luck for these families.

What a sad but uplifting programme very sensitively dealt with. I think we should all make memory boxes whether we're terminally ill or not. Steve didn't want me to watch it last week but I waited until he'd gone to bed and watched it on c4+1 - no way I was going to miss it last night.

I've just watched last nights this morning (less likely to get too sad dh is away) It prompted me to write some more letters. Every now and then I write my each children a letter about what theyre doing and what I've been proud of and I put it in their special box. I hadnt written my daughter one at all but have now just finished it. I too thought it was done very sensitvely and those women had my complete admiration. Their strength and beauty was amazing during something where I jsut know I would have beena complete mess.

A friend of mine was given two years to live two years ago. She said her only wish was to live long enough that her youngest would remember her. Chances are she knows about Winstons wishes but I'm definitely going to mention it to her. What an amzing charity and a hard job to do.

What a lovely idea, Bronze! I watched it, howling all the way through but then I do that at most things. (I've stopped reading on the Tube because of the tendency to come across a sad story and start blubbing).

It made me reflect both on people I know who lost their mums when young, and also on my own mum who died nearly five years ago (and I'm in my forties). I still miss her every day and I don't know how children cope with such a devastating loss.

I also thought about someone I knew who died very suddenly and totally unexpectedly last year - her twin daughters have no 'memory box'. I think your letters will be a delightful present for your children when they are older, Bronze, and I wish my friend had made something like this.

It is, on the whole, an uplifting programme despite the sad subject.

I didn't watch it but can empathise I had a subcutaneous mastectomy last year to remove a lump in my breast which turned out to be non malignant. but I still had to go for a mammogram first and endure a biopsy rather strange being a male in what is perceived as a female enviroment. Wake up call to all boys and girls check for lumps in boobs and (below for men) as this pernicous disease can affect anyone irrespective of gender.

I watched it last week and last night. Sobbed uncontrolably all the way through both episodes. :cry::cry:

Really puts things into perspective though (here i am worrying what to buy people for Christmas :oops: and these tremendous strong people are dealing with death and leaving their loved ones. :cry: )