jak

Urgent rat question

So if I even needed to catch a rat, the bait boxes should be safe?

I reckon they are as safe as you can be. The bait is in a sort of side compartment in my plastic ones, and it has a lip in it. I'm still worried about field mice and hedgehogs and stuff - so once the rats have gone I take the boxes in and only put them out if we see rats back again. They only needed to be out for a couple of weeks.

Yep, got rats here too :( , on going battle with them, got a bait box and the little swines have made a home underneath it :x:x:x , they are under the garage as well and i have great delight in filling the holes with that expanding foam :P:P . Itake the food in every night and if i can see i dig over and bury and spills.

Igot mine from B&Qs, only problem is trying to reuse it as the nozzles got all filled up :roll::roll: , must be quicker at washing it out!!. dear beloved says that they"ll just dig another hole, true, but its going to be like dot to dot!, eventually it"ll all join up and the garage will be totally sealed!!!! : :lol::lol: . I know womans logic :doh::doh:

Igot mine from B&Qs, only problem is trying to reuse it as the nozzles got all filled up :roll::roll: , must be quicker at washing it out!!. dear beloved says that they"ll just dig another hole, true, but its going to be like dot to dot!, eventually it"ll all join up and the garage will be totally sealed!!!! : :lol::lol: . I know womans logic :doh::doh:

Isn't it a tad pricey? that stuff isn't cheap, and as you say, I've never managed to reuse it much because the nozzles get all bunged up.

I think I'd still go for the bait, and maybe my airgun, although it requires a bit of patience sitting and waiting to get a decent shot.

"fun"??? the lack of compassion for a living creature in some of these responses (and not just this thread but other threads on here about rats) really saddens me. Yes they do need to be gotten rid of and yes they do carry disease so it's not feasible to live in harmony with rats but all this talk of having fun in getting rid of them is upsetting and very distasteful.

Get rid of them by all means, just do it humanely and as quick and painlessly as is humanly possible and stop revelling in the disposal of the poor things!

Poet, I really dont think that the majority of people on this forum "enjoy" the thought of having to get rid of rats.

however, our "girls" are very important to us and obviously this will take priority over vermin in the garden that carry diseases.

I'm sure that no one means to offend anyone

cathy

Poet, I really dont think that the majority of people on this forum "enjoy" the thought of having to get rid of rats.

cathy

I never said that and don't think that either.

I tend to speak my mind when i'm upset, i've said my piece and you'll hear no more from me on this thread.

As ever, I wish you all well.

Edited by Guest

I think the "fun" was in the using of expanding foam, as opposed to the killing of rats. Expanding foam is great fun to use, as are laminators, paper shredders, power drills.... must get a life!!!! :lol:

Good luck with getting rid of rats any one who has them, they can be a real worry.

I'm horrified at the thought of rats being in my garden - mainly because it's either them ot the chickens. If I don't get rid of the rats, my chooks will have to go, simple as that. And if I'm not mistaken it is a legal requirement to control any 'vermin' on your property. I really don't want to have to kill them, but I have to try to eradicate them, and the only way I can do that is to make light of it - 'black humour'. Same as being a nurse - sometimes that is the only way you can deal with the emotions of a horrific situation. It does not mean I don't care. This forum is the only place where I can share this with others going through the same things and it gets a bit wearing having to watch what I say all the time in case I am seen as being 'insensitive'.

Rats on a chicken forum = death to the rat. Answer = don't click on the link.

There that's better - off my chest now. :silenced::D

This forum is the only place where I can share this with others going through the same things and it gets a bit wearing having to watch what I say all the time in case I am seen as being 'insensitive'.

Rats on a chicken forum = death to the rat. Answer = don't click on the link.

There that's better - off my chest now. :silenced::D

I know I said i wouldn't post again but i would just like to say, I wasn't talking about you, i was feeling exasperated at the posts I'd seen talking about having fun taking pot shots at rats with air guns amongst other thing and the reponse above just upset me-

You can't divorce cause and effect.

cause=squirting foam

effect=trapping or killing rat (with no concern if the rat was there at the time or not)

end result=fun!????

sorry, can't comprehend having fun doing that.

If I see something that upsets me in future or I think is wrong or insensitive, I'll just keep my mouth shut- that's a promise :silenced:

Oh dear, seemed to have caused a bit of a ruc on here, :cry: , rest assured poet no rats we"re harmed in the foamsquirting as it hardens really fast, in a couple of minutes really, it just bungs up the hole that they we"re using at that time!!!.The "fun" bit was the action of filling it up and me thinking of mr rat going""Ooops, word censored!"!!!, got to dig yet another flippin hole" which they do overnight judging by the excavations around the compost bin! :x:x

Oh dear, seemed to have caused a bit of a ruc on here, :cry: , rest assured poet no rats we"re harmed in the foamsquirting as it hardens really fast, in a couple of minutes really, it just bungs up the hole that they we"re using at that time!!!.The "fun" bit was the action of filling it up and me thinking of mr rat going"******!!!, got to dig yet another flippin hole" which they do overnight judging by the excavations around the compost bin! :x:x

Don't worry Hilly....we knew what you meant. :lol:

There is no real need for further comment....we don't want another forum hiccup. It spoils things for everyone.