Lesley

The Good Life !!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol:

Lesley - I've been thinking about that offer of some fertile barnvelder eggs - Ruby is broody now, and I could transfer her into the rablu and put the bunnies back into their hutch......I would only want to keep one hen though :?

I am a bit worried that Dolly might be going broody, she was on the nest a lot this afternoon when we got back, I heaved her off, no egg, but no shrieking either. I'd hate he to be broody, she's a great layer and my only blue egg layer :roll:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::oops:

Certainly a change there then :lol: All my family and friends are still going :?:?:shock: - I'm not and never have been, a pet person.

A dog is a necessity because we are isolated but as for the rabbits......... I think I had a mad moment :roll: I bought them for Lauren and Jake :wink:

.... and quite apart from the pets - if you'd told me 2 years ago when we first acquired chickens that I'd be eating meat again (albeit, only at home and when I know where and how it has been reared) I would never have believed you.

I was never a strident vegetarien - each to their own - but I didn't think after 25 years that I would start eating meat. Now, I'm playing a big part in the slaughter and preparation as well......... :shock:

Well Lesley I have made a connection for organic, reared turkeys that are killed on the farm. I have now decided that I don't want to eat any other flesh (ok yes I eat fish) but I do want my Christmas dinner this year.Anyone know of a good source please let me know about it.

I can't believe quite believe it but I am still a vegetarian beyond this forum. I have changed so much and it's such a fascinting journey. I am stuck for eating out sometimes and certainly at some 'friends' who don't get it. I am almost at the point of saying 'don't ask' unless you take my ideals seriously! :?

I also miss the family feel of Christmas dinners so I can cook and prepare the feast with respect this year. :D

BBx

Different people choose to be vegetarian for different reasons...

I was a vegetarian for a while after graduating, partly out of poverty (I found it easier to give up meat than relatively expensive veggies like peppers!) and partly out of concerns about intensive farming - organic meat was pretty non-existent in 80s SE London (and I certainly wouldn't have been able to afford it!). As a zoologist I recognise that animal foods are pretty much essential to human metabolism (which is why vegans are advised to take B12 supplements), but I also think that animals should be treated humanely - to do otherwise is indefensible in a so-called civilised society :evil:

I think it's a consent to move animals - I'm still trying to catch up with DEFRA regulations as well as reading any relevant pages in all the livestock books :roll: Jainie refers to it as a 'passport'

We noticed something the other night.........

We have the 8 new hybrid layers and one cockerel in their large run - they have 2, Mark2, Eglus to sleep in.

They all go into one Eglu :roll:

Because we are leaving the Eglu doors open at night, we didn't know until we noticed that one was full of poo and the other was clean :roll: Carl crept out with a torch the other night and they were happily squashed in one Eglu :?

I am stuck for eating out sometimes and certainly at some 'friends' who don't get it. I am almost at the point of saying 'don't ask' unless you take my ideals seriously! :?

I had the same problem Buffie. It drove me mad. That’s one of the reasons I started eating meat again (stupid I know). I only buy free-range now. After seeing The F word the other week with the pigs, it really brought it home to OH.

We noticed something the other night.........

We have the 8 new hybrid layers and one cockerel in their large run - they have 2, Mark2, Eglus to sleep in.

They all go into one Eglu :roll:

Because we are leaving the Eglu doors open at night, we didn't know until we noticed that one was full of poo and the other was clean :roll: Carl crept out with a torch the other night and they were happily squashed in one Eglu :?

They are funny :lol::lol: Would love to see a picture :wink:

I am stuck for eating out sometimes and certainly at some 'friends' who don't get it. I am almost at the point of saying 'don't ask' unless you take my ideals seriously! :?

I had the same problem Buffie. It drove me mad. That’s one of the reasons I started eating meat again (stupid I know). I only buy free-range now. After seeing The F word the other week with the pigs, it really brought it home to OH.

I go out of my way to ask about allergies and likes dislikes etc. We noticed one couple have just stopped asking us out to go for a meal etc and kept threatening a bbq, didn't happen. but I think they have just thought it's too much hassle. I don't care, I won't change how I feel nor will mikey.

BBx

It's a shame people can't be more flexible, but I guess that if they're not into wholefoods, etc, they have no idea what to put on a barbie apart from meat :roll:

My fave is sweetcorn, but there are some good veggie kebabs recipes around - I did Delia Smith's haloumi kebabs for a friend's BBQ, and they went so fast I didn't get to try one :(