urbanchick

Ex batts arriving tomorrow - ARRIVED

I'm getting 3 ex batts tomorrow and wanted to ask a couple of questions.

I know they need layers mash, but I could only find layers meal which I was told is the same. Is this correct? Do I feed it to them dry?

I am supposed to turn up with a cardboard box to take them home in. Or can I just put them straight into their eglu in the boot of my car?

Does anyone who's done this before know if it's a suitable environment for my 4 year old to come with me? Or is that a big no no?

I have a problem with my Miss Pepperpot pecking the other two's bottoms. Do you think this will get worse with new hens, or will they "sort her out"?

After much umming and ahhing about what to house them in before they join the others in the cube, I have gone for what I hope will be the cheapest option - a new eglu! I hope to get back most of what I spent by selling it, as it will be "nearly new". So if anyone wants a purple eglu in about a month, I'm open to offers otherwise it's ebay....

Edited by Guest

Good luck! I think a new Eglu will be fine to transport them, they can go into roost mode then they won't even have the trauma of being handled YET AGAIN from box to henhouse when you get them home. Can't offer advice on picking them up as ours had been out of the cages for about 2 weeks - they were left over from a rescue (aahhhh :( ) and had no home so we took them. I took my three children to that (7 5 and 2) but as I say, the main rescue was over. Good luck tomorrow, ours have feathered up SO fast, I can't tell them apart from each other any more and the only way I can tell them apart from the other hens is because their combs are still paler, floppier and a bit dry looking.

Mrs Bertie

Hi

We picked our ex-bats on Tuesday - Our thoughts are that EGLU will be fime - but will you need to transport them to your car in something or is the eglu light and portable? We collected our chickens from a services car park and so we had to quickly transfer ours into cat baskets which we had brought with us. Generally the chicks are so shell shocked they are very well behaved and ours didn't make a noise all the way home.

As for taking your 4 year old - our only thoughts are that another adult would be needed - it is very intense concentrating on transferring the hens that I would find it difficult paying attention to both hens and 4 year old at the same time. Also they arrived late due to a breakdown on the motorway.

Good luck with your girls - we found arnica helped with the shock (a pill dissolved in water) and they really liked a porridge made up with layers mash and luke warm water.

It has been upsetting seeing them in such a sorry state - we had one quite featherless one - Myrtle. We have fallen in love with them very quickly and it was a joy today when they were being a bit mischievous when we were try to put them to bed (a bit early). They did need their nails cut too. We went for 5 and came back with 8 - be prepared! I hope this is helpful. :D(cube orange)GNRGNRGNRGNRGNRGNRGNRGNR

Oh my gosh! I collect my three tomorrow. It's over an hour journey and we have to be there by 5pm...with the box. Last night, I was sooo excited I got the fit of giggles to myself.I do this when I'm nervous. Collecting the ex bats hens reminds me of those films about the second world war and country folk went to collect their evacuees at the train station waiting room. You know the story it's often played out. How the person arrives late and there are two remaining kids just sat there looking all forlorn. I think this will be us tomorrow..arriving at 5 pm and three remaining chickens!!! lol.

Will tell you all how we got on and introduce our lovely new members of our family.

I collected them in awful weather and they slept the whole way home. When I unpacked them I discovered a lovely brown egg! I popped them into the eglu through the nest box and they settled in. Two of them ventured out into the run after about 45mins, drinking rainwater off the bars.

Emily and Lady are now out in the run eating and drinking, looking very chirpy, but Henrietta is still in the eglu. I haven't seen her stand since we brought her home so maybe she needs a night to recover. I hope she is ok.

They are still in run - will they know to put themselves to bed?

There are some pictures in our gallery, see link below.

Lovely girls! You've done the same as me, I've got 3 omlet girls and then added 3 ex batts, I bought an eglu which i plan to sell on ebay once they are integrated! :D It's going well so far but not put them together yet as Phylis has a poorly leg and Doris the ex batt is pecking her a bit, so when she can defend herself a bit then i'll house them together. :shock:

Great photos although I am having a deja vu moment.... I spotted your Wheatie, do you belong to the SCWTUK Yahoo group? If so I think I saw your pictures on there talking about Wheatens and chooks and it was one of the things that inspired us to get our cube :D Our Wheaten 'Kira' is far to excited at the moment to be let loose with them :shock:

Yes that's me! I asked the forum members what they thought of me getting chickens and I don't think I got a single positive response, just horror stories like chickens having heads bitten off through the netting!! It was my vet who encouraged me. When I posted my success story a few months later I got NO replies :(

Anyway it couldn't have been more successful and I am so glad we inspired you to have a go!