:?

Why oh why aren't the roosting slats made of plastic? Ours are already coming loose and they would be soooo much easier to clean if they were not wooden! It's the biggest flaw in the eglu system...and we've got two eglus and an eggcube.

And when I say loose...I mean the glue joining the slats to the base, if you get what I mean!

I actually made myself a couple of spare rooster bar sets out of wood and am quite happy with them, but when I read about people wanting plastic ones I thought if would be quite quick and easy to make them with plastic roosting bars and wooden side bars but it seems mixing plastic with wood is a bit of a no no, never mind it seemed like a good idea at the time.

We have plastic bars :P

Hubby is in the trade, & got some thick plastic stuff to make me a set of bars which I use in the bants Eglu.

The poo just slides off them & into the tray, so they stay amazingly clean.

If I am 100% honest,I do prefer the wooden ones as I worry about the plastic being slippery,so I am asking him to make me some textured plastic ones next to get around this problem.

Am I the only person on this forum who loves the fact that the slats are made of wood, and wouldn't touch plastic ones?

They don't have to be perfectly clean: mine have the natural look.

No you're not the only one I wouldn't change to plastic. I find it quite easy to get the wooden ones clean anyway at the moment, though I have only had my chooks 5 weeks, I guess my opinion could change.

Surely the plastic bars could have a textured finish to make grip easier.

I appreciate this wouldn't keep them as cleanas a shiny surface but they wouldn't fall apart like the wooden ones. I've only had mine about 7 weeks and they are already looking like they're not going to last much longer.

How about a plastic "frame" that had wooden slats dropped into it which could be replaced using timber available from any DIY store (i.e. what my dad used to call "two by one" or similar).

How about making the bars from wooden dowel pushed down hosepipe cut to length. Hose pipe is fairly soft, but not soft enough for the hens feet to cut, it's plastic so it should clean easily, and the bars would have a core of wood so they should be strong enough.

Just a thought, but like the majority I think I prefer the wooden bars

My wooden bars are fine after a year - I'm worried this means I'm a slob who doesn't clean them often enough :shock::lol:

Well, have your chickens complained? :wink: When they march up to the run door and demand a scrubbing-brush, you know you've left them too long!

I don't do mine all that often, either. :oops:

I just ordered a spare set of roosting bars for my mark one. When they arrived the loose bars were very mouldy. I complained to omlet and said that I didnt want them goign anywhere near my chickens.

They said all their sets for the mark one will be mouldy as they keep them in the warehouse. I told them I was very disapointed!

Does anyone have any idea how I can stop the mould growth without using a nasty chemical?

You could try vinegar to stop the mould.

I really want plastic roosting bars. Mine have never come up like new even though i use a pressure washer on them, there's still a few stains :evil:

Surely textured plastic would be okay for the girls. I use the pressure washer so much that they are starting to splinter.

Well I ordered a spare set and they arrived today - that way I can leave one set drying whilst the other is put in after cleaning the eglu.

I like the wood and they clean up fine!

Louise