Cinnamon

Healthy Eating Chat Part 1

Thanks :oops: I must say a public thank you to Penguinmad. If I had not followed her progress doing the Lighterlife programme I really don't think I'd be where I am now. She was truly inspirational to me.

I would heartily recommend the programme to anyone with a good amount of weight to lose.

Thank you - I would heartily recommend the programme too.

I've been in America for 10 days now and I forgot to pack my management bars that I bought. Eating here has been a challeng to say the least! I have a whole raft of stuff to write about obesity in America, I don't want to upset anyone by writing it here but I will put it on my diet blog when I get time. I have found it EXTREMELY dificult to eat anything even vaguely healthy here and I've been shocked to read ingredients even the Jam is made with high fructose corn syrup rather than sugar and that stuff has been debated as a high contributor to America's obesity problem. I weighed myself yesterday and I think I@ve put on about 1/2 a stone in 10 days and that was with trying to watch what I ate.

One thing I will say here though which I hope doesn't upset any of our American members as it isn't intentional but I'm scared that we are only supposed to be 5 years behind America on most things....I've been to Disney every day, healthy food is VERY hard to find there. A lot of people are very obese, a lot of children are even more obese. Many of the obese people are riding around in mobility scooters. Many of the obese children are being pushed around in strollers - the ones Disney rents out are LARGE - which is good because so many of these kids are WAY too old to be in a stroller - we have seen a lot of kids bigger than james (and older!) being pushed around in strollers - the stroller kids all look bored. James hasn't complained once about the walking around, has mostly had a huge grin on his face too. If any of you have seen Wall.E you no longer have to wonder where Disney got the inspiration from for the fat people who have evolved on the Axiom, they have seen the first generation of these people being pushed around their own theme parks!

I have to say that we found it extremely difficult in America as well Pengy. We were staying with family some of the time but we would be taken out to eat. In our hotel room we had a fridge and in desperation we raided Walmart and loaded it up with fresh fruit!

Hopefully we, as a nation, won't go down that route but it is very worrying.

I tried to join Lighter Life earlier this year but they wouldn't have me :( .

I am bi-polar, but extremely mild, only just got diagnosed in my thirties, and only have to take medication every now and then.

Unfortunately there is still alot of stigma attached, and it used to be that if you had this diagnosis you were very severe and on really strong meds. I ticked a box in the lighter life questionaire that asked if you had been diagnosed as bi-polar and then I couldn't join. The lady was very nice, she even appealed to the head office for me but they said no. I was very upset as people on here have had such good results, and one of the main reasons I get so depressed sometimes is my weight. I will have to find my own path, but I am really thrilled those of you allowed to join are doing so well :D .

Oh that's rediculous Mostin! I can't understand why that would deny you the chance to lose weight.

Shame you didn't know before hand you could have "forgotten" to declare it, especially as it's mild.

There are other meal replacent diets out there but I would say the councelling on lighterlife has really helped me.

I really hope you can find your method. Does your gp not know of an alternative for you?

Oh that's rediculous Mostin! I can't understand why that would deny you the chance to lose weight.

Shame you didn't know before hand you could have "forgotten" to declare it, especially as it's mild.

There are other meal replacent diets out there but I would say the councelling on lighterlife has really helped me.

I really hope you can find your method. Does your gp not know of an alternative for you?

That was my thought, I was going to try a different group and "forget" to tick the box but then she said everyone has to get the form signed by their GP before they start, and she can't lie :( .

I did try other meal replacement diets, I lost 5 stone on one in 2007, but put in all back on again in 2008, which was why I thought one that came with the counselling would be just what I needed.

Would your GP vouch for you mostin? - I'm sure he would rather you confronted your weight problem with support from somewhere like LL.

My GP offered to write a letter and give them modern information about the different degrees of bi-polar and all the different medications that can be used for it, e.g. when I am on tablets, they are officially licencensed for epilepsey, and I imagine they let epileptics join.

From a marketing point of view I would have thought they would be desperate to update their rules. Think of all those paying customers they are turning away, as there are many more people every year being diagnosed.

I was the 'Meet and Greet' lady at my local WW last night! We welcomed 21 new members :shock: and welcomed back alot of old ones. Made the meeting a jolly, rowdy affair, and I lost 2lb over Xmas :eh: I've gone under another stone marker, so I've been stripped of another Point, better dust off dem trainers and get my butt back to Step- if you see me on here friday morning SHOUT AT ME.

I've posted up a zero-fat zero-Points soup on the board, I'm armed with a big pot of it to keep me warm and full and out of the bread bin!

How we all doing? Mostin did you sort out your problem?

I had my first weigh in of the new year. I lost 5lb this week :D I'm hoping to get a new photograph taken next week (it's taken a lot of nagging) so once I get my before photo back I'll post them up for you to see.

Enjoy the step class Rapsody, I do one in my living room on the wii fit :lol: Unfortunately, most organised exercise classes have finished before I leave work so I'm left to my own devices. The DVD player and the wii fit have been so useful in getting exercise at home. I'll be glad when it's less chilly and slippery so I can get back to some longer walks.

Hope everyone else is having a good start to the new year.

Mostin did you sort out your problem?

No. No Joy.

I'll just have to get the bikes out of the garage and get going on the cycle paths again :( , plus just try to eat sensibly. Not too hopeful though, I'm well know for my lack of will power on the diet front :lol::oops: .

Mostin does that mean all diet programmes are out for you. I know you had your heart set on LL but my MIL has shed stone at Slimming World, and I swear by WW.

Love your photos Rhapsody, well done you :clap::clap::clap: .

As far as I know I can still join S.W. or W.W. but I've joined S.W. before and never lost more than 3 stone and then put it back on again. I wanted to try LL because of the couselling and because I have about 10 stone to loose :oops: . Maybe I should try W.W., I have never tried them. I think you can do it online with them, I just didn't want to go to a class with people who only had a stone or so to loose, another reason i wanted to go to LL.

I just didn't want to go to a class with people who only had a stone or so to loose, another reason i wanted to go to LL.

I think that's a really good point, we do have some very large ladies at my group but I don't know if anyone has the challenge before them that you do. I'd say any help is better than going it alone though, and I really enjoy our meetings, the leader is a scream and everyone is really friendly, interstingly it is the people who don't stay to swap tips and support each other that wail in despair every week on the scales! The e-source is good but I wouldn't have kept going without the meetings.

Mostin I sincerely hope you get this sorted and start posting up your sucesses on this thread, of course we are all humble before moochoo and penguinmad.......

I just didn't want to go to a class with people who only had a stone or so to loose, another reason i wanted to go to LL.

I think that's a really good point, we do have some very large ladies at my group but I don't know if anyone has the challenge before them that you do. I'd say any help is better than going it alone though, and I really enjoy our meetings, the leader is a scream and everyone is really friendly, interstingly it is the people who don't stay to swap tips and support each other that wail in despair every week on the scales! The e-source is good but I wouldn't have kept going without the meetings.

Mostin I sincerely hope you get this sorted and start posting up your sucesses on this thread, of course we are all humble before moochoo and penguinmad.......

Thanks Rhapsody,

you sound to be a really lovely person, and very understanding. I hope we all get there in the end.

Thanks Rhapsody,

you sound to be a really lovely person, and very understanding. I hope we all get there in the end.

Mostin, don't make a saint out of a sinner, in real life I'm a cow! :lol:

Mostin, don't make a saint out of a sinner, in real life I'm a cow! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Aren't we all, in the farm shop the other day I noticed a tub ob of horse supplement called "Stroppy Mare", for hormonal and difficult horses.

I think OH is thinking of buying some to mix in with my fed :lol::lol::lol::lol: