Cinnamon

Healthy Eating Chat Part 1

Hi,

I thought we could chat about healthy eating & how our diets are going here on this sticky.

As most of you know,I am on Weigh"Ooops, word censored!"chers & have lost 1.5stone in total now.

It sounds a lot (heck, it is a lot!), but I still have a very long way to go so am in this healthy eating plan for the long haul :D

The plan works well for me as I don't have to cut out any food groups & can eat a varied,interesting diet & even still eat out sometimes.

My family have all been eating the same food as me & have not noticed that their fat intake has gone down & their veggie intake has gone up!

We eat veggie at least twice a week & I insist upon proper family meals,although we do eat in front of the TV at the weekends sometimes.

I am not sure if it is coincidental but my youngest daughters skin (she is 13 & can get oily skin) has improved a lot since I made this change in the way I cook.

I have some nice healthy recipes to share & am looking forward to seeing some of yours in return.

EDIT - I have made a seperate thread for the healthy recipes so we don't have to wade through the chat to get to them :lol:

Edited by Guest

Thank you Sarah for starting this up :wink: I did slimming world which worked really well for me but have not been back in a while :oops: I have started again but without going to the meetings, so being able to chat here will help :D I know what I need to do, I just need to get on with it :roll::lol: You are right about healthy eating rather then dieting, it really does work :D

I haven't done any organised diets or groups like weight watchers, but I occasionally do buy some of the slimming magazines to get some cooking ideas and get inspired by the 'success stories'... I keep thinking that if one person can lose quite a few stones, there is no reason why I can't lose two!!

I am aiming to lose one more stone to reach what I find is a good target weight for myself.

What I really need to do is cook at home more, rather than eat from takeaways (the chinese food delivery guy knows the kids by name, and the pizza delivery guy has got so used to coming here he actually plays with and kisses my toddler on the doorstep when dropping off the pizza!!)... but then need to gather the energy to cook for 6 at the end of a busy day... sometimes I'm so tired I can't think what to cook!!

I'm a vegetarian, and eat loads of vegetables of all kinds, so that's all good, as long as I don't put tons of butter on them!!

I have lost weight before without too many problems once I set my mind to it, and actually quite enjoy homemade healthy meals... another thing I love is my juicer... can't resist carrot, celery and apple juice...

It will be lovely to read everybody's ideas, progress and share suggestions for healthy family meals... :)

I have three and a half stone to lose since hurting my knee. I was referred to the gym by my GP Nurse last October (high cholesterol problems).

So, I excersize more and have been eating healthily - I have lost 12 lbs. Not a fantastic amount but I'm happy to lose it slowly and I feel so much better for the excersize. I had my last assessment last week and have to add more excersize each week - I'm going to do Aquafit.

I went along on Monday - it was really easy :D - I sat and watched :wink: I needed to make sure my knee could cope with it :lol:

I have a great recipe for a lemony Coleslaw which I will add later......

well since i spoke to everyone on here i have started shaking my head at the naughty treats although i do like a square of 70% dark choc with my tea when i've put the kids in bed!!!

I have found cutting back on alcohol has helped a lot. Im not a really heavy drinker but we'd have about three bottles a week between us and now im lucky if i have one glass, but... i feel so great for it.

Drinking loads of water helps too as it makes you feel a little fuller and then im less prone to snacking.

Went swimming for the first time in ages yesterday and got caught in a current ( its an 8 shaped corridor of water currant :shock: ) and i feel so much better for getting a bit of treadwater excercise. It was serious fun too :D .

Just want to say to everyone to keep up the good work!

p.s

an excellent filling meal:

chorizo and chickpea stew.

oone onion diced and fried (carotino oil works brilliantly and is very low in cholesterol) with 2 cloves of chopped garlic, one teaspoon of sweet paprika and the chopped chorizo. Add a tin of chopped toms or chop your own, stir and add 1 tin of chickpeas, leave on heat till a little thicker and serve with a roll or some new potatoes!!! :twisted:

Well done you lot!

I did a couple of courses on nutrition 20 years ago when I was a personal trainer, most of it is still in date though and I try my best.

I exercise a lot so need lots of 'fuel', but tend to like naughty snacks like cake and biscuits, which send my blood sugar through the roof and then make me tired (and in need of another snack :wink: ) a couple of hours later.

Rosie has a very sweet tooth and loves anything with a sugar and carb overload, but knows that these things need to be limited and eaten only after she has eaten something healthy. I am still struggling to get her to eat more fruit and veg, but at least she knows what is and isn't healthy, and that lifelong healthy eating habits are better than short-term dieting.

I have found that cutting back on the amount of carbs I eat stabilises my blood sugar and stops the yoyoing that I had when I was a cake monster :oops: (and I feel so much better for it). I still eat some cake, but smaller pieces and not so often. I eat loads of fruit and veg and try to start the day with a protein rich breakfast, whih keeps me full for the morning and wards of the sounds of the biscuit tin calling to me!

Great thread Sarah! 8)

p.s

an excellent filling meal:

chorizo and chickpea stew.

oone onion diced and fried (carotino oil works brilliantly and is very low in cholesterol) with 2 cloves of chopped garlic, one teaspoon of sweet paprika and the chopped chorizo. Add a tin of chopped toms or chop your own, stir and add 1 tin of chickpeas, leave on heat till a little thicker and serve with a roll or some new potatoes!!! :twisted:

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: sounds lovely and very easy which is my type of cooking :oops:

that chickpea recipe sounds amazing, i might try it tommorow.

I've tried every diet under the sun, including very dodgy diet pills :? but basically my problem is willpower.

i'm a size 14 and 5'10 so i'm not large but i am technically about 6lbs overweight.

i generally find that making lots of nice soup (leek and chicken or lovely lentil) is great for dieting as you can eat two bowls full if you like for a meal and it isn't too calorific.

i'm currently trying the Pink Patch!! this is a rather silly item supposed to help one lose weight.

i work in holland and barrett so if anyone wants advice on herbal healthy eating supplements then i'm your lady! :D

you name the diet and I've at least considered doing it. although I did realise (too late) that when I gave the various diets my weight crept up and stayed there so actually they did work after all :shock:

Lighter life was great after an operation last year to shift the extra weight but I couldn't manage more than the initial 3 mths which brought me down to a weight I wasn't too uncomfortable about.

Must get into healthy eating and serious exercise now the weather is improving...

I agree that chickpeas can give you the trumps or worse (you know who you are) but you can use any beans or even wheat free pasta.

I find also i love cheese grated on top but i always use parmesan as its much lower in fat!!!

A question for fluer also. I do not drink milk, eat much cheese, yogurt anything which is milk like in general as i have a huge phobia. Is there anything in H & B that could help me with my missing nutriants!!!

maggie

Ok, lets kick this topic off again as it looks like there might be some new activity on here soon!

Out with the confessions then:

My name is AnnieP and I lost 3 and a half stone last year, through illness, operations and stress. Not the most pleasant way of going about things, but hey, every cloud has a silver lining I guess!

I am now a very healthy size, feel great, am fit and have more energy, love clothes again and wish this had happened to me 10 years ago!

however, after 6 weeks of school holiday, 5lbs have crept back on, so I am hoping that my return to work, school dinners and routines will help me to even out again. I don't do diets. They have never worked for me and I always put on weight the moment I came off them, plus extra, so for me it is about eating healthily and that awful word... exercise.....

I need to loose weight.

I always had issues with my weight when I was younger even though I was a size 6.

Going to uni and finding friends who im comfortable with has made me eat egain and not be sooo scared of food BUT having teh problems with my knees has meant that I had to give up the things I loved (thai boxing, trampolining) and im struggling to replace them. Now I can do certain things at the gym im finding it had to fit it in with full time uni and working (6 days a week over the summer and part-time when uni goes back). Basically ive gone up to a size 12 through not being able to exercise even though I don't eat too badly and only have treats once in a while.

I don't want to go back to how I was but I would like to be a fit and toned size 10 - I just need to motivation and i think planning my Italian trip might be just that (another thread! lol)

Im just not sure how to go about it as I don't want to go back to the way I was - what diet plans would anyone recommend??

Sorry for the horribly long post

Stacey

x

My knee problems meant that I put on 3 and a half stone - and already had 1 stone extra but which wasn't causing me any problems at the time.

I started going to the gym under a referral scheme from my GP last year but a year of stress means that I haven't lost a great deal of weight.....but I am fitter!

I also started Aquafit and am off there this morning after three weeks off.

I don't get on with any of the slimming clubs at all - and prefer to eat less proper food than all the 'Lite' foods full of chemicals so I'll just be back to Healthy Eating..... and excersize. My problem has been eating too much proper food....and chocolate!

I really enjoy the gym - once I get there! :lol:

I have lost 32lbs with Weigh"Ooops, word censored!"chers over the last few months, but I have found the summer holidays really hard with the children around & I have also been quite unwell a couple of times.

My holiday to Portugal was fine - I stayed the same weight & lost 2lbs the week after - goodness knows how!

Just weighed myself & it looks like I have gained about 4lbs over the last few weeks, so I am trying to get myself back on track from TODAY.

Unfortuanatly I can't get to WW this week as it clashes with a hospital appointment,but will try very,very hard to be very,very good & lose some of what I have gained before the meeting a week on wednesday.

I have fat fighters, or Slimming World as they prefer to be called tonight. I have been going mainly to support Mum-in-law (she's lost an amazing 3 stone) but I really need to get my backside in gear and start losing. I have stuck to the plan religiously this week so I am hoping for a loss tonight.