Cinnamon

Healthy Eating Chat Part 1

To be honest I'm not entirely sure. To get to a 'healthy' BMI I need to shift another 5 stone but whether I'll feel comfortable at that weight I really don't know. I've never been a healthy weight, ever, so I guess I'll just have to see when I get there.

You and OH look fab Moochoo. I've started another healthy eating plan :roll: I need to lose a lot of weight. I find it difficult to stick to anything so having just read the whole thread and feeling truly inspired thought I'd join in. I'm doing it on my own - no clubs, so I'll be looking throrugh the healthy eating recipes to get some ideas! Thanks ladies - you are really inspirational. :clap:

Thanks :oops: Hopefully, well be off plan by summer (if it arrives) so can enjoy wearing some pretty summer frocks. Can't wait :D

Don't be silly, John would look silly in a frock! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though, your new hairstyle is very flattering and chic (or should that be chook?) Sarah. I think that J looks even taller with less weight.

Wow - I've only just caught up and you are both looking GREAT! Your faces have come out - they were kinda just round in the first pic - I know mine was the same.

You are right you will know when you have lost enough, it'll just feel right and you'll move to management. I never thought I'd go the whole 10 stone but once I realised I could I knew I wanted to.

Mostin - it's horrid that they won't let you do LL, they are very hung up on the health aspects and geting all the medical approval right, they want their programme to be seen as healthy despite many peoples reservations about very low calorie diets.

We had this conversation in the staffroom the other day as someone said it just has to be BAD for you to eat only 500 calories a day, your body NEEDS more calories. I pointed out that it isn't CALORIES that your body needs its nutrients, they are not the same thing. I could consume 500 calories in the next 5 minutes just in a chocolate bar and a can of coke and that certainly wouldn't keep my body going all day. By the same token I could easily do 2000 calories and still not have anything good for me. It could be worth keeping in contact with lighterlife as they do change their rules whenever they can.

Finally I went to Costa yesterday and there was someone in the queue I knew, she was the Mum of one of my old tutor group. She'd seen me recently and was again telling me how great I looked - I was talking to her and we were both laughing a little as the girl in front of her was also in my old tutor group and you could see her trying to work out who I was, she knew my voice, she knew Jessica's Mum so she was sure she knew me but she didn't have a clue who I was. We told her eventually and she did the OMG thing! Never fails to amuse me.

Sarah! - those photos are great!! Yuo both look so well! 8)

I look forward to seeing you in Stratford shortly :D

Pengy, you are so right about the difference between calories and nutrients. I'm not keen on some of the very low cal diets but LL does seem to have good counselling and I think it does have its place, for those who have a lot of weight to lose.

Thanks. We both feel really well too. The councelling has really helped but it has been helpful to abstain from 'real' food too. It has really helped me differentiate between being hungry and just craving.

I still get moments when I crave something but it's usually through boredom or tiredness rather than true hunger. I go and do something for 10 minutes and that craving has passed.

I am glad that I have found this thread. I am so proud of myself having lost 6lbs since Christmas. I set myself a target of 10lbs initially as I am doing this on my own with no clubs handy and I wanted to be half a stone lighter by February 7th when we are off on the holiday of a lifetime to St Lucia. I really want to shed a stone but thought that smaller goals might be a better way to go.

I am 5 foot 6inches and now weigh 11stone 3lbs and think a good weight eventually would be about 10 stone 3lbs. Any ideas on some boosters for my diet. I eat an Activia Yoghurt for breakfast with a handful of high fibre cereal and a huge spoonfull of Omega seed mix. Every other day I have two poached eggs on toast as I read in GH that people who ate two eggs a day in a trial in America lost 65% more weight than non egg eaters.Then lunch is a big bowl of home made veg soup and a Ryvita with pumpkin seeds. If I am working then it is a salad from Boots and some fruit. I also put some seeds into the soup. Dinner is a normal meal but no fried stuff. I drink lots of green tea in the day and each night reward myself with two squares of chocolate. If I need it a mid afternoon snack is a bit of fruit or a few nuts.

I think I am doing quite well but would love to really put a spurt on with the loss, we were going to walk every other day but the recent miserable weather has put paid to that after a brilliant start, two hours on New Years Day and three more walks after that. :D

Well done Jillus! - that's a brilliant start to the New Year.

I am doing the same - on my own and eating less but healthily. I have lost a stone and a half now and kept it off over Christmas/Birthday/New Year.

As you haven't been able to walk because of the weather is there any indoor exercise you could do? - I go to Aquafit on Monday mornings and I love it. A whole hour of very low impact hard work! :D

Right, I'm inspired!

After reading this thread I'm going to join your group and get thin (or at least a little less fat). I've got an appointment with a SureSlim consultant tomorrow evening. I still don't know whether I'm going to join them or not, but I need to change something about my lifestyle as none of my clothes fit anymore (or they're very tight) and I don't want to buy an even bigger size.

I guess I'm going to have to lose about 4 stone to reach an ideal weight. I don't think I'll ever be thin as I've got wide hips and large breasts, so I'm not going to be a Kate Moss type, but my feet are starting to hurt at the end of the day if I stand up for a certain period of time and that's only the first of many disadvantages of being too fat.

So that's it: low fat soups and ryvita here I come.

You're all doing so fantastically well here that I'll be sharing with you any weight loss I achieve ( :wall: although my body only seems to be putting on... we'll see! :twisted: )

Hi folks, have just found this thread - could I join you please? I am really feeling disgusting :!: I am at the heaviest I've been in my life (including three pregnancies)I don't have time to read the whole thread - are you following specific diets or just cutting down :?: I can't do WW or similar - no time or money :!: but I think I could follow a diet which tells you what to eat and when. You know the kind of thing I mean. I anyone has a "good diet" please let me know. In the meantime good luck :!: Allisonx

I have a couple of "top tips" Some from Lighterlife and other diets I've done and some I've just worked out.

The no 1 thing is the water - are you hungry or thirsty, will you feel less hungry after drinking a large glass of water - very probably. Drink first, eat second.

Find some exercise you like. I have discovered pole dancing - 18 months ago I would have been too heavy for the pole and now I@m one of the slimmest in the class (there are a few chunky girls in my new class!) I almost don't believe it when I see myself in the mirrors there. I tried it for a laugh as a free taster and I was hooked - I've just signed up for my second lot of beginners classes - and as I'm the only one in the class whose done it before (till my mate comes next week!) I'm the expert! Astonishing for someone who has been overweight their whole life and NEVER exercised. I've signed up for Belly dancing now too - it's 6 weeks and free with my gym membership so worth a try.

Cook more things from scratch. If you know what's in them you have more control. At Christmas someone brought in M&S mince pies - they were 250 calories EACH. By making suet free mincemeat and rolling the pastry thin I brought mine it at under 100 calories each and still delicious. I've just had 2 slices of warm home made bread with home made jam, I know exactly how many calories are in them, no sugar in the bread, very little fat and of course although the jam is high in sugar it is fat free.

Right, I am in too 8)

I lost 32lbs with WW last year, but have put 15lbs back on :roll:

Stupid really, but I must say that I had a wonderful time gaining that weight!!!

Anyhow, nose back to the grindstone for me now.

Good tip about the water Pengy. For me I like to have a glass of tomato juice before my lunch & I find that really fills me up - lots of worcestershire sauce in it too for an added kick 8)

The other thing I have discovered is how delicious the Ryvita multi grains are, especially with a bit of lite Flora & marmalade on them. They make a super breakfast & seem more satisfying to me than a slice of toast :lol:

Another recent find of mine is the Cathedral City half fat cheddar which is totally wonderful - you wouldn't know it was half fat at all :P

I love cheese & really need to eat it,or I start to crave it & that is when it all goes horribly wrong :?

Hi folks, have just found this thread - could I join you please? I am really feeling disgusting :!: I am at the heaviest I've been in my life (including three pregnancies)I don't have time to read the whole thread - are you following specific diets or just cutting down :?: I can't do WW or similar - no time or money :!: but I think I could follow a diet which tells you what to eat and when. You know the kind of thing I mean. I anyone has a "good diet" please let me know. In the meantime good luck :!: Allisonx

Hi Allison

We're all doing different things but we all have the same problem! :lol:

I've been to both WW and SW and don't get on with them - I think they have changed now but when I was going they were pushing 'artificial food' all the time and as I don't eat food that has a list of ingredients on a label, then I didn't fit in. I won't eat low-fat spreads or use any sweeteners. My problem is that my basic diet is good - I just eat too much. As Rhapsody (?) said.......portion control!!!!!

I knew I needed to cut right down on butter, chocolate and avocados - and sit and work out a menu for at least a few days ahead so that I don't eat anything in a rush, without thinking about it.

My sister weighs more than me and has never wanted to join me in losing weight - we have another sister who is stick thin :roll: Last year my (heavier) sister suddenly decided to go to WW - and she is having a ball! :D I don't go with her but we are losing weight together - we both go to the same gym(sometimes :oops: ) and to the Aquafit on Mondays :D . When we get together as a family we each know what the other is trying to do and cater accordingly. It's working for us.

Mr Webmuppet has been told by the Physio that he needs to lose weight....he suffers from back ache and one of the causes is his tum. I have calculated that he needs to lose 3 stone :shock: . The nurse at the surgery has also suggested he lose weight. So I now have to convince him to :

1, stop drinking wine & beer (full of empty calories)

2, eat fruit

3, not eat fatty burgers & other such junk and to eat the healthy option

4, eat more veg and less of everything else

I have also enlisted the help of LMW to police him when I'm not around..........she has put a label on her cookie tin saying ' Daddy hands off ....eat fruit'. I am working my way round the kitchen cupboard removing anything he shouldn't eat.

Still we are on a healthy eating purge at the moment as I had the V&D bug just after Christmas and I can't eat anything much unless its fruit or vegetable or pulses. My stomach can't seem to handle much else.........I've lost half a stone so far :lol:

Any tips on getting him to look less like a Tellytubby gratefully accepted. I think the nurse and Physio might have finally convinced him where I have failed.

Wow! You can tell its New Year :lol: This thread is going to get lively isn't it? Here's some stuff I've learned over the past 3 months-

PORTION SIZE IS CRITICAL

Starches (rice, spuds, pasta ) the size of a tennis ball

Protein (meat fish tofu) the size of the back of your hand minus fingers and thumb

Butter and other fats the size of your thumbnail

Use a pump sprayer for oil and invest in a good non-stick pan.

Do not eat 'punishment food'- if you sit down for dinner with a plate of boiled vegetables you will be in the biscuit tin 10 minutes later, plan something satisfying instead!

Buy some seasonings and spices, all calorie free. Plain stir-fry chicken with veg makes me gag, but add some garlic chilli ginger and soy sauce and its scrumptious.

Get some zero fat yoghurts in for sweet-tooth moments.

Limit alcohol, imagine you are always the designated driver, and stick to that limit.

...................and don't forget to lean on everyone here :wink: