Couperman

The council phoned today.......progress update

I am not normally that lucky but the man said there are a number that have become available so you never know.

The plots are about 5 mins walk from us and if I remember rightly they are massive. So we intend to share it with my brother and his wife to make it manageable.

I'm all excited now. I am just waiting for the guy to phone me back to arrange a site visit. :D:D:D:D:D

I might go and have a quick nosey :wink:

Kev.

I have just nipped down and had a butchers at it.

it is HUGE 1/17th of acre and there is already a massive rhubarb patch and what looks like a huge blackcurrant thicket type thing.

The drawbacks are;

It needs a lot of weeding doing.

There are some carrots already in and they have all been gotten by carrot fly.

You are not allowed to have a shed or a greenhouse on there, I don't know what that's about :?

It is also situated in a public park so it's not very secure and may get a bit of unwanted attention from vandals and the like. :roll:

But I will take Cathy and my Sister in law down there later and see what they think. I will have to send my brother some photo's he is at sea at the minute.

Kev.

Are you allowed to have compost heaps there?

Yes you are allowed compost heaps. You are not allowed to erect any structure that is higher than the 4 ft perimeter fence for some reason, barmy isn't it?

I think a lot of the plots are kept by people whose houses back onto them, they have a shed on their own land that opens onto the plot. Sneaky eh :lol:

I think we may go for an Anderson air raid shed half buried with a turfed roof :lol::lol::lol::lol:

If we decide to take it on I will probably just knock up a little lockable tool store about 4ft high :lol: and a few coldframes too.

Kev.

Hmmm.....no shed is a bit of a drawback.

What is access like as you will have to cart your tools too and fro.

Access is very good, there is an alleyway from the road that leads right up to it, so you can park about 30ft away.

Kev.

Oh good. That is the major obstacle dealt with. :lol:

Ooh good luck with that. We love our allotment. We havn't got a shed yet, but it's literally across the road from us and I have a power tryke with a huge basket :lol: We're not technically allowed sheds, but everyone else seems to have one! I think a storage seat type thing would be a good idea to keep the essentials in.

We've got a good book called "the half hour allotment" which helps busy people prioritise their time working a plot and advises on planting eg advising you to grow things which you love and are expensive in the shops rather than half a field of maincrop potatoes and runner beans!

One of the first things we did was to organise an asparagus bed and we're looking forward to reaping the rewards next year. I've also got some globe artichokes growing to start a bed next year - yum!

I have just been to take a few photos with Cathy and SIL.

We have decided to take on the mammoth task :D

DSC00498.jpg

DSC00497.jpg

DSC00496.jpg

DSC00495.jpg

DSC00494.jpg

As you can see it needs a little work :shock:

Does anyone have a JCB I could borrow for about six months :lol:

There is a water supply by the front gate.

Kev.

i'm really pleased for you. :D

Do you remember the disused allotment i took photos of and asked the council about? Didn;t get a reply so I chased them up about it today and got the following reply...

"Please accept my apologies for not replying sooner.

This is the current situation with plot 5 :

Although your offer to take on this plot in its current condition is commendable, we have to follow a clear and transparent procedure in offering vacant plots in the chronological order people appear on our waiting list. For information, we currently have in excess of 30 people registered for an allotment and we are in the process of terminating the current tenant and offering the plot out to the next person on the waiting list.

We do undertake inspections three times a year, however this particular plot has been rather problematic to say the least.

Our procedures to manage the allotments are a little long winded, however we have to give new tenants a period of time in which to commence cultivation. If no progress is being shown, we are then in a lengthy process of either improvement letters, or in the most serious cases; termination. As this is a legal process, it does take time to reach a satisfactory outcome. We also experience more delays in receiving a response from those offered a plot for a multitude of reasons. Many people move house, do not contact us with a forwarding address, are no longer interested in a plot or do not respond to offer letters, etc etc.

We do our best to ensure that plots are taken as quickly as possible, however it is frustrating for us that sometimes our procedures go awry due to the actions of others.

I hope you understand."

looks like we're in for quite a wait, you've been lucky! :lol:

keep us updated on its progress, would love to see some more photos once you get cracking.

Edited by Guest