Couperman

The council phoned today.......progress update

We haven't really thought about what to grow.. We haven't even signed up for it yet and are already talking about 'our allotment' :lol:

There is already a good supply of rhubarb :D I don't know what the bushy fruity type plants are so we are going to leave them and see what fruits.

It will probably take all summer to clear it so I think we will probably concentrate on a small area and just grow a few cabbages and leeks and the like whilst clearing the rest.

I am going to call the guy tomorrow to let him know we want to take it on. I don't know how long it will take before we can start attacking it ready for next year.

Kev.

If I may make a couple of suggestions? :D

1st, invest in some black plastic.

roughly strim then cover a large section of your new plot.

bung a couple of pots with flowers in, a couple of chairs and a makeshift table.

This section will then look nice and neat, be a nice place to take a breather and next March will be the perfect place to plant your brassicas (through holes cut in the membrane). The ground will be flat and compacted (perfect for caulis and cabbages) you won't have got disheartened slogging away and the weeds will be pretty much dead :lol:

2nd Go for perrenials. Things like globe artichoke, fruit canes, perrenial broc, and strawberries take little maintenance and pay for their space again and again.

but more importantly, it's so encouraging to have a crop growing away nicely while you're digging :lol:

3rd Get some salad crops in straightaway so you can start reaping the rewards from your labour as soon as possible 8)

Congratulations, have a great season! :D

Good ideas from Tara 8) - and taking the hens would be good :lol:

I took a flame thrower to part of our land yesterday - on my favourite weed - Hairy Bittercress :evil::twisted:

I wish it had been a flame thrower actually - it is a weed wand, but it was still therapeutic.

I just phoned the guy and said we would like to take it on.

He said no problem, will send paperwork out in the post and you can crack on straight away! :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

I have a pond liner I can use to supress weeds, I bought it to line my raised bed and theres loads left so I will take your advice Tara. Thanks for that.

I also have a roll of weldmesh left over from the new run which I can make some compost heaps out of. :D

There will be four of us tending the plot so will have to decide between us what to grow and share the results, seems daft all growing the same stuff.

I think when this seasons over I will convert my raised bed at home into a coldframe kind of thing for my seedlings and the like.

Can you tell I am excited, not that I am a fan of digging mind you. :lol: :lol:

Kev.

Kev! That is terrific news and what a great allotment (once you've got it under control, anyway!). We've only got half an allotment until something bigger comes up but manage to plant loads of stuff in it so you'll be able to achieve so much with all that space!! Congratulations! The Good Life just got better :wink: .

The bushes look like either black or red currants and you should get a good crop from them. It is worth throwing a net over them though once the fruit is set which it should pretty much be, because the birds love red currants.

The idea of clearing a small space for salad crops is a good one because you will get quick results and it will encourage you to carry on digging :D

Clearing a small area adding chicken poo or other compost and planting courgettes, marrows, and other squashes would be good beacuse it is the right time for them.

I spoke to the fella on the next plot. His back garden backs onto his allotment (how cool would that be?) so he has a shed on his own land with two doors.

He said sheds aren't banned on the plots you just need to obtain planning permission from the council which is always flatly refused and amounts to the same thing really. :roll:

I think he enjoyed telling me that.

Kev.

The allotment looks brilliant Kev, can't wait to see the pics of your crops :D

Is each allotment enclosed within it's own boundary fence :?

Yes it is. When we were first looking at it the guy in the nextdoor pristine plot said he was about to replace the fence between his and what is now ours (it is a bit poor to say the least). I am sure he was going to do it anyway but I will have a word to see if we can share the cost. I think as he lives next to his plot and ours it would be nice if he was a friend.

Kev

Congratulations Kev, don't blame you being excited that plot looks fantastic! We still have at least two years to wait (or maybe longer -I got a snotty email back from the local allotments association when I asked if we could get 6 of the 250+ people on the waiting list together, to ask the council to replace the two big allotment sites they've just sold off for housing. I suspect a local councillor is chairman. Haven't told OH as he will be very cross if I have got us black-listed :shh: )

Enjoy every minute of it.

Congratulations Kev. It's really rewarding. I agree with putting in some courgettes/ beans if you manage to dig over a small patch. Bean teepees make it really obvious there is stuff going on and you'll get a really good crop from courgettes especially as it's the time to be putting them in.

If you like asparagus - set aside some ground to clear now for a patch and get them in next time it's the right time - it's the first thing we did with our allotment and I'm really looking forward to next spring! 8) We're also starting off some Globe artichokes this year to have a bed of those next year.

Well we've mad a start :D

I went down on Friday for a couple of hours. Everyone was so friendly and chatty that I got about half an hours work done!

I built 2 compost bins out of weld mesh and started to attack the jungle. It's nowhere near as bad as it looks and the weeds come up really easy.

I got the paperwork through, we can't keep horses or donkeys on there either. :(

It also said that 'Sharing' an allotment is not allowed :? I can understand not allowing 'Sub-letting' by why no sharing and how would they know anyway? Weird.

We are just about to head off down there..............come along there Barbara....................Oh Tom.............. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Kev.

Just got back from another digging session.

One half of the plot is dug over almost as far as the massive rhubarb patch and SIL is making good progress on the other side.

We had rhubarb for tea last night and brought a load more home tonight.

Our new allotment friends have aquired us an extra compost bin, a water butt and we have been offered a load of seedling cabbages, collies and sprouts! :D What a friendly bunch :D

Kev.

Our new allotment friends have aquired us an extra compost bin, a water butt and we have been offered a load of seedling cabbages, collies and sprouts! :D What a friendly bunch :D

Kev.

give them some chicken poo! :lol:

ok, we have just been shopping :D

and have purchased (in plant form).....

purple sproting brocolli

onions

strawberrys

cauliflowers

courgettes

sprouts

leeks

red cabbage

we are off to plant :D

(we really dont know what we are doing, just gonna stick stuff in the ground and hope for the best :lol::lol::lol: )

have just been told by my mum that we have to take photos every step of the way, so we will :D

back soon

cathy

x