Cinnamon

I have lost Pansy - need some advice.

Pansy,my dear Rhode Star has died :cry:

I need to know if its likely I am losing these hens to 'old age' or if I have another underlying issue here.

I have lost 2 hens in 6 weeks, both Meadowsweet hybrids,bought at the same time & both about 2 years old.

I lost another at around the same age just after Christmas, & another a couple of months prior to that.

All went in the same way.

1 - Not laying anymore, seeming less active, maybe also laying odd thin shelled eggs.

2 - Within a month or so,seeming very slow

3 - A couple of weeks later comb flopping,blue tinged, not moving around at all, not doing normal 'chickeny' things.

4 - Death

I worm my girls very regularly with Flubenvet, have seen no evidence of worms in the tray & also treat them with Eprinex for lice every 6 weeks (also acts as a wormer)

So,is this just the natural way of things & my girls are fluttering off,or do I have something to worry about?

Thanks all :)

Some people seem to think that 2 years is the sort of age a Hybrid will live to :?

I have lost a White Star, a Rhode Star a Pepperpot & a Speckled Star all at around that age.

3 were from Meadowsweet,one was an Omlet hen.

They were all vaccinated.

I am not sure what to think now,really :roll::?

I lost my 2 Gingernuts at the same time. They were nearly 3.

They were both very good layers and certainly didn't take a day off every week. They had both stopped laying 10-12 months before they died, but seemed happy. Kim had sterile peritonitis, undiagnosed but I'm fairly sure. Kath seemed absolutely fine.

My conclusion was that they were such good layers they exhausted themselves. They lived a third of their lives in retirement and then died. I think it was all quite natural. Talking to others when we met at Greenwich soon afterwards, we all agreed that 2-3 years old is about normal for Gingernuts. We also thought that the Pepperpots seemed to have more days off laying and therefore lasted a little longer.

I don't think you need to worry Cinnamon, but I'm sorry you've lost another hen. :(

Thanks Ginette, that has helped put my mind at rest :)

My hens were all fab layers,but with all of them their eggs got weird towards the end - thin shelled,odd shaped,ridged & so forth.

I guess that shows that their natural egg cycle was exhausted too.

I'm sorry to hear that Sarah :( .

The fact that you say that their eggs were 'wonky' towards the end points to them just being 'on the way out' :( Hybrids have a very limited lifespan - they're bred to lay eggs and like our own ovaries only have so many eggs in them, as they draw to the end, their ovaries and various egg tackle glands just start to pack up, hence the odd eggs. Sometimes, they gradually stop laying eggs and live a couple more years in stately retirement, but unfortunately they usually just flutter off as chicken angels.

I don't think there was an underlying health problem, just lovely hens that have reached the end of their shelf life.

Console yourself that they couldn't have had a better chicken mummy and were cherished as much as any hen could wish for.

Big hugs coming down the road to you

XXXOOO

Aww, sorry to hear about Pansy Sarah. My Beryl gingernut went the same way, she was about 2 and a half. She just slowed right down and died in her sleep a few days later. Although we'd had some good eggs after her moult, they were very erratic and towards the end of last year they were very weird shapes and soft shelled. :(

Sorry to hear about Pansy, Sarah. One of mine is not well and I've been getting softshelled and odd shaped eggs so I think Penny is on the way out too. At least she lived to her expected age, a lot of chicken lives are cut short by foxes.

It's so sad when they grow old and die, and it happens so quickly. My Pepperpot faded away like this just before her third birthday. Hybrids have such a short life. I know they can live to the age of five, but I don't think many of them do.

If you have space for more hens, I think that the answer is to replace each hybrid that dies with two pure breeds. (Warning: They are three times the price of a hybrid, eat twice as much, and produce half as many eggs.)

I started off wanting eggs, and ended up wanting hens: it's very strange.