Guest Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 read a book, always works for me. Right, just about to finish my cider and head off for a read Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cate in NZ Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 I hope you both managed to get off to sleep finally I find that a warm drink, a good book and keeping warm tends to send me off. Whenever I have one of those (thankfully infrequent) nights when I can't sleep I find it's better to get up out of bed for a while and do something, usually reading, although I have been known to tackle the ironing in the early hours , otherwise I toss and turn and get stressed about not sleeping. If I get up generally I'm feeling sleepy again after 30 mins or so and am ready to go back to bed and sleep Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 Try cutting down on the caffiene. Too many cups of tea in the evening prevent me from sleeping. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 I have spells of insomnia, & have used the following with great sucess. Boots do a pillow mist with peppermint & nutmeg,which is great.It comes in a travel size so you can try it out before buying a big one. Also there is a new Bach Rescue remedy night srpay,which is very good. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 I'll have to try that pillow mist. I've slept badly ever since I did a job managing a group that supported 24x7 systems where my guys would ring me when it all went so horribly wrong no one knew what to do (and that was years ago). The Bach night rescue doesn't seem to help me although I know it helps others. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Milly Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 I wish I knew the answer! I was one of those babies who wouldn't sleep and still have problems as an adult. The trouble with the reading a book idea is that, if it's a good book, I can read for hours. One piece of advice I found useful is to keep regular hours ie go to bed and get up at roughly the same time every day, even at weekends. I know it's not always possible, but a routine can help. My problem is waking up during the night as well - I might go and buy one of the remedies suggested here. Milly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
moochoo Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 I'm wondering what time of day you run? If it's in the evening, maybe you still have high levels of adrenalin / endorphines in your system which would certainly stop you from sleeping. On the subject of tips though I swear by eating a banana and some milk about an hour before bedtime. If you find your mind's very active and mulling over the days events, repeating a word such as "the" or "and" over and over in your head breaks your conscious thought cycle and helps you sleep. Don't lie in bed for hours tossing and turning if you're not asleep after an hour get up and watch tv for a while. Hope you manage a lovely sleep soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 I have always found a cryptic crossword very good. Somehow my brain is completely focussed on the clues, which stops it thinking about other things. After a while my eyes won't stay open. I have recommended it to others and it works for them too. I'm afraid I take a small dose of night nurse which gets me to sleep quickly and helps me stay asleep throughout the night. I shouldn't recommend it though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lapinou Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 Regular yoga practice is well known for helping with insomnia. Either get to a class weekly, or even get a one to one session to get a routine tailored specifically to your needs that you can do for 15mins each night before you go to bed Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Keanie Bean Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 Gillian McKeith has a good soup you could give a try. Its called sleepy lettuce soup. The recipie is 1tbsp olive oil 1 large onion peeled and chopped 1 crushed garlic clove 450g potatoes peeled and cubed 2tsp of bullion powder 8 tbsp millet 1 large romaine lettuce 4tbsp fresh parsley Heat oil with a bit of water in large saucepan, add onion and garlic and cook for few minuites. Add potatoes and cook for 2 minuites. Add 1 litre of water buillion powder and millet bring to boil and then simmer for 15 minuites or until potatoes are tender. Add lettuce until it has wilted. Allow to cool and blend with parsley. Reheat to prefered temperature adding more water if desired and serve. This serves 4 so you could make a batch and keep some for each night or freeze it for as and when. I have found this really works strange as it may sound. Tastes ok too. Sarah.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Louise Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 Lettuce contains some chemical that makes you sleepy I can't remember what it is called off the top of my head It is the main ingredient in herbal sleeping tablets so the soup is an even more natural form of taking it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ajm200 Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 (edited) You could try learning some deep breathing and relaxation techniques so help you to switch off at night. I've been trying some in preparation for my baby's arrival and although the instructor clearly says at the start that it is best to remain awake, I normally fall asleep within 5 minutes of the session starting. Even when I manage to stay awake, if I get disturbed before the end of the session, I feel like I've woken from a deep sleep. I guess you don't want a track that aimed at expectant mums but i have one called the secret garden that I downloaded free that i can let you have. Just PM me if you want it. Edited July 2, 2008 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Keanie Bean Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 The lettuce soup is also meant to be good for swollen ankles and yeasty problems such as thrush. I cant find the name of the chemical. The book I have says it just contains a 'compound' which is relaxing to the nervous system. Sarah.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 Keeping your mind occupied is a good trick - stops it working away at the kind of thoughts that keep you awake. One that works for me is alphabetical lists. Working through the alphabet I do pop groups from A to Z or singers from A to Z. Could be any sort of alphabetical list but its the kind of thinking that doesn't keep you awake. Rarely get all the way through, if I do i start a second one - never finished a second one! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ajm200 Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 I might have to try the soup as i need something to help with swollen ankles on hot days. I'll have to go shopping for the lettuce though as the slugs keep demolishing ours. Shame the sleep compound doesn't work on them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Keanie Bean Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 I'll have to go shopping for the lettuce though as the slugs keep demolishing ours. Shame the sleep compound doesn't work on them. Sarah.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
little cluckers Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 When I can't sleep, I concentrate on each part of my body starting at my toes and slowly working upwards and make sure that each part is relaxed and not tense. It's amazing - you can be clenching bits that you didn't realise and it's very relaxing by the time I've got to my head I'm normally out for the count I can't remember if I learnt to at yoga or during pregnancy but I've been using this technique for nearly 15 years and it does work- honest (I often use it at the dentist too and it helps keep me calm ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rolo Rabbit Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 I'm in the 'book brigade'. If I don't read before I go to sleep I could be lying there for hours with the day's events going round and round in my brain. I now always read when I get into bed, even if I'm really tired and think I don't need to (because I do). And I keep reading until my eyelids start drooping which is usually less than 10 minutes and can be annoying if I'm getting to a good bit. I also don't have any tea or coffee after 8 o'clock ish. And red wine is the worst for me - one glass maximum or I wake in the middle of the night and that's it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Helly Welly Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 A lettuce sandwich and a glass of milk is supposed to work. I also think you just have to try and get out of the mindset that you aren't going to manage to get to sleep. I know i start dreading bedtime and that just makes it worse. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Yorkshire Pudding Posted July 2, 2008 Share Posted July 2, 2008 If I wake with a head full of stuff-to-do (usually about work), I find stayng in bed pointless. I head downstairs and make a note of everything that keeps popping up in my head. Somehow once it's on the paper I don't have to keep it in my thoughts, I can let it go and clear my head better. Also a book that has dense text and isn't too interesting seems to knock me out every time! I haven't tried lettuce but the banana and milk works well for me. Tryptophan in the milk and complex carbs from the banana work together so you feel full and sleepy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted July 3, 2008 Share Posted July 3, 2008 I'm in the 'book brigade'. If I don't read before I go to sleep I could be lying there for hours with the day's events going round and round in my brain. I now always read when I get into bed, even if I'm really tired and think I don't need to (because I do). And I keep reading until my eyelids start drooping which is usually less than 10 minutes and can be annoying if I'm getting to a good bit. I'm a reader as well - but I'm banned from reading hardback books because I drop them on Carl's head Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
missuscluck Posted July 3, 2008 Share Posted July 3, 2008 I hate to say it but going on the computer before bed dosent help at all. If I go on before bed I cant sleep and wake up at stupid times through the night. Tv's not so good before bed either. Reading a book till you cant keep your eyes open is the best bet. Unless its a very exiting book and you are near the end, then I will wake up again at 2am to finish it. Oh, you cant win can you Large amounts of Alcohol???? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Trish Posted July 3, 2008 Share Posted July 3, 2008 If Lavender oil isn't working for you there are lots of other oils that aid sleep. Clary Sage works best for me but can lead to vivid dreams for some people, not nightmares but very vivid dreams. Other indicate oils for insomnia would be Bergamot, Juniper, Marjoram, Chamimille, Neroli, Rose, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang Vetiver, Nutmeg, Valerian and Frankincense. In choosing an oil see if you can find somewhere that will let you sniff tester bottles of the oils, most people are naturally drawn to the oils that will work best for them. Also remember that less is more, one or two drops of an oil should help sleep, four or five can be a stimulant and keep you awake. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Yorkshire Pudding Posted July 3, 2008 Share Posted July 3, 2008 My Dad spritzes the back of his London taxi with a lightly scented lavender spray. He says he has far fewer belligerent punters, most of them doze off! I once tried it in my classroom too. Y9 were initially not impressed with the smell, but once they forgot about it they were definitely calmer than normal. I had to stop in case someone had an allergic reaction though - I don't know how allergenic it is, but we couldn't risk it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...