Seagazer

Missing cat - when should I panic?

I have not seen my youngest cat Dave all day, I'm not sure even if he was in late last night. I went to bed at 10 and "Ooops, word censored!"ody can remember seeing him. I am so upset. Last night when I was taking my daughter back to Ebbsfleet to get the eurostar we passed a lady who had just run over a black cat a couple of roads from here. My YS said that could have been Dave. In my mind I know it wasn't because it looked too big and he is small.

When do I really panic. We are already typing out posters. Should I phone Identichip people now or wait until tomorrow.

He has never gone missing before, he is always hungry and desperate for food, so it is not like him. :cry:

Oh seagazer, i'm sorry, it must be really worrying for you. I'd call Identichip now, they won't mind and at least you'll know you've taken positive steps. Soemtimes, cats go for a wander, he may have been fed by someone else which has stopped him from coming home yet as he's not hungry.

Fingers crossed for his safe return :pray:

Thanks Helly Welly, I've phoned Identichip people so they've flagged him up as missing, I've just put leaflets through the 40 nearest doors. I've put a poster up on the tree outside of my house and will do some more when my hubby gets in.

In my mind I don't think it could have been Dave that was run over as I'm sure I heard him (he has a loud bell on his collar) on the drive as we were going out but you know it just keeps playing in my mind that it was him.

I've never had a cat disappear before (apart from when my MIL brought her cat here to stay for a while). We put posters up and a lady up the road had her.

I've just got a really bad feeling.

I wrote this a while ago & it is used as a sticky on a cat forum I go on

Here are some ideas to help you find your lost cat

* * Do some flyers / posters & distribute locally.

* * Register the cat lost at all vets / catteries / rescue homes

* * Leave food out and a toy

* * Ask the local radio station to announce your cat is missing and give out a contact number

* * Put an advert in the local paper

* * Put an advert in your local shop

* * contact the local council as they should keep a register of all cats that have died in road accidents

Finally have a look at these sites -

http://www.soyouhavelostyourcat.co.uk/#1

[/size]http://www.mymoggy.com/

http://www.amissingpet.co.uk/

http://animalsearchuk.com/home.htm

http://www.petsearchuk.org.uk/

I know how you feel.

My Chilli sometimes goes walkabout for 10 days at a time,but *fingers crossed* hasn't for several months now.

Try not to panic just yet & do all the things suggested in the other posts.Chances are he is shut in a shed or something,as I am certain my boy has been in the past :roll:

Sorry to hear that Dave is missing, but don't panic - as Cinnamon says, they can go AWOL for several days and come back absolutely fine.

Good idea to do leaflets, just in case he's got shut in someone's shed or garage. Fingers crossed that he'll turn up soon - they are canny creatures and look after themselves.

Yay - he's turned up this morning :lol:

I had such a sleepless night last night, I am so glad my premonition was so off!

My other cat Sophie obviously missed him as she sneaked in and slept with us last night. Dave looked very happy to see her this morning and ran straight over to her but she did her usual - hissed at him :roll:

I think he must have been shut in somewhere as he was starving and ate a big bowl of food and he's upstairs on the landing having a sleep.

Thank you everyone for your positive comments, I know I shouldn't have panicked but he's never done it before.

Here's a picture of the young man :D

animals002.jpg

:lol: Little Monkey. I'm so pleased he's come back for you safe and sound. I wonder what he's been up to?

We had one of our cats go missing for 4 days, years ago and she had been locked in a shed. Putting flyers through peoples' doors really helped as they checked and there she was :shock: I was in the garden at the time she was released and looked up to see her vaulting 4ft fences of back gardens on the street as she made her way home. I'm surprised she didn't turn on the spot as I just screamed when I saw her :lol:

Give him a lovely big cuddle from me. He's a very handsome boy :lol:

I like it when I read a thread after the event and it has a happy ending :D

So glad Dave came home fit and well :D

I once lost a tom cat his name was Felix and we got him from the cats protection who had found him hanging by his collar from a rose bush, he had to have his paw stitched back on pretty much. He was rather dim to say the least, but was a lovely baby who loved to cuddled. We came home from work one day with fish and chips - his favourite- and he went out never to be seen again :( about 10 years later we saw and advert by an old lady who was going into a care home and needed a new home for her 3 legged black and white cat and we wondered if it was him after more s"Ooops, word censored!"es but we didn't go to look because we had an old lady cat at this time who didn't like other cats. I often wonder what became of him.

Also when we got Scamp she disappeared for 24 hours and came back with a limp after what we think was a tangle with a fox.

Thanks everyone. Actually Dave's nickname in the family is Gorgeous Dave. I'll have to dig a photo out of him when he was a kitten because he just looked so very, very odd then but we all called him Gorgeous Dave. :wink:

He has not stopped eating all day so I think stuck in a shed must have been what happened to him as he is a great mouser (and unfortunately bird catcher).

These cats are such a worry, they go out and you just don't know if they are going to come back. I just hope he is a bit more wary of sheds etc, although my neighbour said that he is so nosey that they often find him in their house, he just goes in and wanders around the place. They have to check the house to make sure he's not in when they go out. They lost a cat just before we got Dave so I think he's their substitute.

Glad he's back seagazer, he looks just like my Mister, gorgeous boy indeed :D

My neighbour once locked Mister in his shed and we only found out because we heard him miaowing in answer to our shouts when we were out looking in the dark with torches as i dont like my cat's being out at night. but ive shut him in my own shed to, always a worry.

Oh I'm sooo pleased he's back and he's such a handsome, if slightly naughty, boy! I think you are right, he probably was shut in. I remember when Håkan was younger he went missing overnight once, and it was awful, I didn't sleep a wink, I walked up and down the canal towpath, was checking in the locks etc. He appeared mid morning and was absolutely starving, I think he'd been shut in one of the mills overnight (I used to live next to a canal in an old millhouse) I cried my eyes out with relief when he came home!

You're right though, we do fret about them....Håkan has only just come in for his tea and I was beside myself with worry as he was only a few hours later than usual (they are shut in at night once they've had their tea)

I absolutely adore my boys. Hubby is just as besotted. When he rings from Sweden, his first question is always "How are my boys?" - Håkan was coughing at the weekend and Guy was really worried about him, fussing over him....I told him it was probably furballs but he wouldn't have it....he kept telling him he must drink water to lubricate his throat. He seems to think that you can reason with a cat :shock::roll: Ha! Not a hope! :wink:

So glad he is back,

I was just about to post in case he wasn't back that one of ours, another black cat :roll: came back after 2 1/2 weeks missing. He had been shut in somewhere as well as he was thin but ok. They don't learn their lesson though as after he had been cuddled to death the next thing he did was get shut in the cupboard under the stairs :roll: .

Aww so glad he came back for you. My daughter lost her cat in April, our cat Lilly is much impressed that hes gone as she hated him :roll: but he is missed. he was chipped and we posted posters,door drops, rang vets etc to no avail.he was very handsome but never strayed before though liked trying to jump in stationary cars so we think either he was stolen or got in a car or van :(

Must be black cats then as when we had just got Dave my sister came over to see him the next day with her two boys. Well he disappeared and we searched high and low. We went out looking in the street in case he'd got out when they came in.

I was beside myself with worry as it was Jan/Feb time and he was so small. My sister left and I sat there in tears until we heard this squeaking from the living room. He had climbed in a sub-woofer box that we have to go with the surround sound, it has a round bit in the middle and he had got in there. I think my nephews had been too loud for him.

He has also got stuck in cupboards but luckily has quite a loud miaow so we normally find him. :D

Still alls well that ends well. :lol:

Aww so glad he came back for you. My daughter lost her cat in April, our cat Lilly is much impressed that hes gone as she hated him :roll: but he is missed. he was chipped and we posted posters,door drops, rang vets etc to no avail.he was very handsome but never strayed before though liked trying to jump in stationary cars so we think either he was stolen or got in a car or van :(

Oh no that is so sad, I'm so sorry. I think that would be the worst thing not knowing what has happened to them.

We found our other cat Molly dead in our garden 2 years ago last month and although it was a dreadful shock I'm glad she died in our garden and not somewhere else as the worry of where she was would have driven me mad. :cry: