Snowy Posted January 2, 2009 Share Posted January 2, 2009 That looks lovely! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted January 2, 2009 Share Posted January 2, 2009 Ah Lesley, that's just what we want to do. I love your threads, so inspiring. I thought sheep were really difficult to manage - keeling over now and again for no apparent reason! I would like to have alpacas - are you likely to add them to your holding? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karen & co. Posted January 2, 2009 Share Posted January 2, 2009 What a fantastic skin I'd have my fingers buried in it all day long Karen x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mostin Posted January 3, 2009 Share Posted January 3, 2009 Looks gorgeous, I think I'd have to fight my moggies of that one for room . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted January 3, 2009 Author Share Posted January 3, 2009 Not thinking of adding alpacas, no ................. We didn't think we wanted sheep - we thought they were a bit boring - but we've found them so lovely to look after and they do have a personality! They do have a tendency to just keel over - we lost three to clostridial problems , but now we know we have it on our land and we have to vaccinate. George the ram went home today He started limping a couple of days ago - probably a touch of scald. We treated him to a pedicure - complete with purple spray..........he looked quite fetching by the time we'd finished We took him back and his owner was very impressed with his condition - he said we shouldn't have any problems if we looked after our ewes as well as we've looked after him Now we just have to wait and see if he's done his job properly. Tomorrow, we can put all 8 ewes back in together - the 2 old ladies haven't been in with him. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted January 4, 2009 Share Posted January 4, 2009 We saw alpacas at the Harrogate show. They keep foxes away apparently....but cost a whopping £5K each...I asked! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted January 4, 2009 Share Posted January 4, 2009 Lesley wrote: George the ram went home today He started limping a couple of days ago - probably a touch of scald. We treated him to a pedicure - complete with purple spray..........he looked quite fetching by the time we'd finished But I bet he didn't get his purple nail varnish all over the lid of the loo and bath like DD! She twisted her ankle at a concert the other day - she is limping too! The bandage is off now and she is complaining about the difference in size of her ankles - she wears trousers all the time - why is she so bothered! With regard to the shocking cost of alpacas - the better the quality of fleece, the bigger the price - some get to be over £12,000 last time I looked! My dream was to have a couple of not so expensive ones to keep the foxes away from the hens - and they have a designated toilet area so poo picking is kept to one spot only - bliss (plus great for compost combined with chicken poo should make even more fantastic veg). The fleece would be used for wadding for my quilting - it is hypo-allergenic, and so the dream goes on . . . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted January 4, 2009 Author Share Posted January 4, 2009 No - George didn't get purple all over the toilet and bath We buy our feed from a place called All Things Rural.....they breed and sell alpaca - I didn't realise just how expensive they were 'til I looked at their website Our Shetlands have lovely soft fleece - I'm saving it up now until I have enough weight to send it to be washed, carded and spun. I like doing it in small amounts - and Lauren and Jake can do it as well - and then weaving with it, but I'd like some done professionally from my own fleece. We nearly had a bit more fleece today.....and meat One of the Shetlands barged into Carl's leg when he was trying to catch the black sheep - we thought she'd broken his leg Luckily, the pain subsided a bit and he can walk on it so not broken......but he'll have a few more bruises tomorrow. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted January 4, 2009 Share Posted January 4, 2009 OUCH! Thanks Lesley - lovely to hear hands on from all the family - whatever the weather. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted January 4, 2009 Share Posted January 4, 2009 It is great to read this thread again Lesley, and find out how you are getting on! Glad to hear the ram performed well, hope it results in some lambs for you! The fleece is huge Are you sure there are no bears in Warwickshire Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted January 5, 2009 Share Posted January 5, 2009 We didn't think we wanted sheep - we thought they were a bit boring - but we've found them so lovely to look after and they do have a personality! They do have a tendency to just keel over - we lost three to clostridial problems , but now we know we have it on our land and we have to vaccinate. I used to think exactly the same thing! I worked on a childrens farm and they had goats and sheep, and I always used to think the goats were better becuase we got to take them for walks on leads with the children and milk them, and the sheep used to just run away when you went in their pens. After I went Lambing at Easter, I'm converted!! I agree, sheep do have personalities, and I got to milk them and we had a few of the stubborn ones on show harnesses to move them The lambs swayed it a bit aswell, especially looking after the cade ones 24/7 . The farm has a problem with enzootic abortion, so I spent a few days injecting over 600 ewes with 10ml of really thick vaccines, which were horrible to get into a syringe, and then into the ewe, and because it was so thick we had a few burst syringes! But at least now you know its a problem you have and you can vaccinate against it. I think an alpaca would be great, and they do poo in one spot so its easy just to shovel up that patch. I'm looking for an alpaca farm near me to go and get some work experience ! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted January 5, 2009 Author Share Posted January 5, 2009 That would be great work experience! - I hope you find somewhere. You don't have transport do you? - or we could put in a word at the farm near us? It's in between Stratford and Alcester. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted January 5, 2009 Share Posted January 5, 2009 That would be great work experience! - I hope you find somewhere. You don't have transport do you? - or we could put in a word at the farm near us? It's in between Stratford and Alcester. I did google it yesterday and it looks really good, but it's 50 minutes away from me I'll speak to my Mom, but I think it's just a bit too far to go yet. Maybe next year when I'm driving Thanks anyway Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted January 6, 2009 Author Share Posted January 6, 2009 That's fine - just let me know if you ever want a word putting in for you. We are regulars.............far too regular .......... and on first name terms as it is a fairly small place. We buy all our feed there, for all the animals. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted January 6, 2009 Share Posted January 6, 2009 Having done a bit of research - and wanting to find out more I came across this link. Try this for a list of alpaca breeders in Britain: http://www.alpacasearch.com/DisplayBreederList.php We know a breeder just up the road - Pennybridge Alpacas - they got the log cabin idea after a visit to Wellground Alpacas (check out those prices! ). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted January 8, 2009 Author Share Posted January 8, 2009 Tom died in his sleep yesterday I'm glad I didn't have to take him to the Vet - he lived all his life in freedom on the farm. He will be buried in the little orchard RIP Tom. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted January 8, 2009 Share Posted January 8, 2009 sorry to hear about Tom, he looked like a fine fellow. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Frugal Posted January 8, 2009 Share Posted January 8, 2009 Oh bless him. He certainly was a lovely fellow. So sorry to hear that Lesley but I'm glad he slipped away peacefully. RIP Tom. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted January 8, 2009 Share Posted January 8, 2009 Oh bless him, like you say, better to go where he was familiar rather than at the vets. RIP Tom. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nicola H Posted January 8, 2009 Share Posted January 8, 2009 So sorry to hear about Tom, but like you say he had a happy life on the farm and died in peace.........R.I.P. Tom. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted January 8, 2009 Share Posted January 8, 2009 Sorry to hear that about Tom, Lesley Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted January 8, 2009 Share Posted January 8, 2009 Bless the old fella and thanks for the email, he had a lovely retirement after you became his owners, and a peaceful passing. Blessings to you little man - we shall miss you winding in and out of our legs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted January 8, 2009 Share Posted January 8, 2009 Sad news. Very sorry to hear it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted January 8, 2009 Share Posted January 8, 2009 RIP Tom. A lovely looking chap very like my Ziggy only bigger. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Trish Posted January 8, 2009 Share Posted January 8, 2009 Sorry to hear about Tom but what a peaceful way for him to go. How's Carl's leg today? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...