BeckyBoo Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 (edited) As per the title, have just dispatched Fred to chicken heaven. As you know I like to hatch chicks, only had two clutches but have had four boys out of those and as I live in a suburban setting I can't continue to hatch if I can't deal with the boys. Fred has, sorry had, been crowing from 0430 every morning for the last 3-4 weeks, he had to go which was a shame as he was the most beautiful bird - a Buff Sussex. His tail feathers were curling, he was absolutely massive, weighed over 8lb at the end. I had a friend round to help who has worked with poultry before and he effectively "did the deed". Wasn't overly happy, I think I thought if it was done as per all the advice on Practical Poultry etc it would be clean and very very quick, but I suppose if you're killing something it's never going to be pretty. Then rushed him up to the pub which is run by a friend of ours who, luckily, happens to be an ex butcher. So we plucked him together and he showed me how to gut and dress him. He weighs 2oz short of 6lb oven ready! I am SO pleased with myself, my children are fine, they were a bit tearful for a few minutes before it was done, I didn't let them watch much to their disgust, but once it was done and I came back in they're just disappointed we can't have him for Christmas dinner! He had a great life, he had a quick end, not a bit of him will be wasted, we have friends coming round on the 29th and Fred will take pride of place. I feel as though I've taken a MASSIVE leap forward in hen-keeping. Scruff who is a Brahma boy the same age as Fred will be rehomed as he will be all breast and leg and not much else worth having, but Bob is about 15 weeks I think, and he will also be for the pot. And I feel fine about that too! Mrs B Here he is or rather was, RIP Fred, a fine bird til the end Edited December 23, 2008 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 Congratulations . Sounds like it all went as well as you could hope for . I'm sure he'll be very tasty! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bronze Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 I'm sure he'll taste lovely too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Pinkybijou Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 Well done Mrs B, a leap indeed! I think we hatched about the same time, and you are certainly braver than me. I only hatched one, and am so attached to him (her, actually, but we still call him 'he'!). I hope Fred is very tasty after his short, but happy, life! Kris Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 I'd also like to say well done. It can't have been easy - but sharing tales like this helps the rest of us. Enjoy the boy! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
aaronmusgrove123 Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 well done to give him a brill life thats the most important Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BERTIE MCSQUIRTY Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 well done. i too have a beautiful cockerel (bantam) that needs to go.......i may have to call my farmer friend to help as i dont think i could do it myself. but i am going to try and re-home him first. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 Well done. A big step....but a sensible approach. He has had a good life and will taste delicious I'm sure. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
wombatally Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 Well done, we plan to hatch in the spring and eat the lads. It's good to hear the experiences of others! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janty Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 Well done to you. I'm sure he'll make a tasty dinner. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gamebird Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 You have had the courage of your convictions and Fred has had a good life and a good end. A fitting end to a dual purpose chicken. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cyber Chook Posted December 24, 2008 Share Posted December 24, 2008 Well done! They are, after all, farm animals, and it sounds like he had a great life. We're generally quite removed from the realities of life and death, and your children will learn so much from their experience, which it sounds like you handled carefully and respectfully. Caroline Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egg Lou Posted December 24, 2008 Share Posted December 24, 2008 Thanks for the title warning as I'm a vege but to be honest have no issues with this at all. Being vege is my choice and as long as the animal has a happy life and it killed with as much sensitivity as possible then I do not have any problems with people choosing to rear their own food, after all its much better than ignoring the fact this is where meat comes from in the first place as many do! Beautiful boy but sure he had a fab quality of life! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Steve. Posted December 24, 2008 Share Posted December 24, 2008 Does the er, flapping go on for quite a while? Would like to keep birds for the table sometime in the future when hopefully I have less on! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted December 24, 2008 Share Posted December 24, 2008 Well done, that's what sensible hatching is all about. Can we have some pictures of him before & after he is roasted? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted December 26, 2008 Share Posted December 26, 2008 Well done Mrs.B!! - it is very satidfying to see it all through to the end. It is never easy, and we still find it difficult.....we keep procrastinating until our table birds are monster sized I hope he tastes good.We have one of ours to cook today...... Does the er, flapping go on for quite a while? Would like to keep birds for the table sometime in the future when hopefully I have less on! It does go on for longer than I thought it would - but we are used to that a bit more now. After watching the Kill it, Cook It, Eat It programme last week, we are comfortable with the fact that we actually despatch them quicker than they did......and no hanging around by their feet or hearing/seeing the others before them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TAJ Posted December 27, 2008 Share Posted December 27, 2008 Well our first two meat birds get done tomorrow - I will report back. Given Christmas they got delayed so will be 11 weeks 2 days (79 days) old. We weighed them last week and they were 8-9 lbs then, so I think they will be rather weighty even when dressed. Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted January 12, 2009 Share Posted January 12, 2009 You are very brave. I think the worst bit is the first one, it will probably be easier with more practice. He may have been short lived, but at least it was a happy, healthy life compared with some poor little blighters, and that is what makes the difference. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...