Old Speckled Hen

What kitchen gadget have you bought?.......

oooh I forgot my Easy Yo - I used it all the time pre lighterlife but now I can't use it as I can't make a decent low fat yoghurt. Really anoying that as I'm spending a fortune on Yeo Valley - if anyone knows how to make low fat without it being a yoghut drink I'd be glad to know otherwise that might appear on FTGH soon.

And I forgot the Mandolin - which was Dad's and I hardly ever use it.

I also have his coffee grinder which I do use - would like a nicer looking one though!

I recently bought a slow cooker and regret not getting one years ago. Great braised meat dishes, fabulous curries and bols and a fantastic way to make soup. Use all your left over raw veg, add water and a stock cube and ignore for hours. No steam of splashes, nice enough to serve from and is dishwashable.

I wish I'd thought to put my soup in the slow cooker yesterday. I left it on a low light and went into the garden, when I came in the pan was completely burnt :(

I was looking forward to that soup. I've no idea how long I was in the garden. A long time judging by the pan!

I hardly use my juicer, but it has an integral blender which I use nearly everyday.

The avocado slicer doesn't get used much, and the mango slicer is a bit of a waste - a knife would do almost the same job. I have these fairly obscure gadgets, but I don't have a decent grater :roll:

I freecycled the juicer ages ago. I should have known - was visiting brother, and mentioned that I was thinking of getting one. 'Borrow mine!' SIL shouted and brother positively sprinted up to the loft to get it out ... :D They'd abandoned it because it was so awkward to clean, and so did I after a while.

However the two items that this thread started with are slow cooker and George Foreman grill. My slow cooker is used almost daily in the winter - vegetable soup, lentil soup, mince & tomato for pasta sauce, lovely oxtail stew, slow-cooked casserole ... and it makes a delicious rice pudding too! I don't use the George Foreman quite as often, but it does lovely aubergine, peppers, salmon steaks, home-made burgers, bacon ... and naughty cheese toasties occasionally.

Just goes to show, one person's kitchen nightmare is another person's favourite gadget!

What gadgets do i have? I have to take a mortgage out each month, just to shop in 'Lakeland' :) I love their products. One of the last was a kitchen composter shaped like an apple with an odour extractor in it's lid. I let it fill up then take it out to the compost bin in the garden.

I don'ty have many gadgets, and none that I don't use (space issue).

I love my Kenwood mixer, which is over 30 years old. I use it several times a week and love the glass liquidiser and the mincer attachment.

My breadmaker gets used all the time; we don't eat loads of bread, Rosie and I, but it's always fresh.

I have a Forman type grill, which is more of a cafe style toasted pannini thing, we use that quite abit.

The slow cooker is used all the time too, as is the Remoska.

Doughnut maker!!! hubby had it for christmas a few years ago, used twice if that!!!

Slow cooker, had it a few years now used that twice, got it out the other day attempted a chicken casserole - disaster! now thrown back in cupboard (feel free to send some recipes my way) :)

Bread maker, hardly used sitting in cupboard!

Dolce Gusto coffee machine can't remember when I used that last!

Our George went in the bin a few weeks ago, another hubby gadget that he forgot to clean and I refused so got chucked out!!!

A hand blender, did come in useful when I had Joshua and was pureeing everything for him!

One of those potato crusher things - I'm not strong enough, its impossible!

Tefal 3 second kettle thing, its pants especially when trying to boil water for a saucepan end up doing it the long way and waiting for ages for water to boil!!!

Annabel Karmel Mouli hardest thing ever to use on your own, I ended up decorating the kitchen when attempting to mouli anything with it!

Hubbys latest gadget (ashamed to say I bought it for christmas for him!) a beer pump takes up the whole kitchen worktop and has been sitting there unused since new years eve!!

I do use my microwave ricer thing all the time, prob best buy hehe

Yes I have a Tassimo and LOVE it. Had the original version (think it was braun) then recently bought the new one by Bosch and its great - even though i dont drink coffee or tea (!) but the new Milka hot chocolate is DELISH and every time someone has one of the Latte's they say its great.

Bought this salad spinner and chopper once and used it about twice and just got rid of it.

Have lots of new gadgets this month including a tefal Actifry just arrived and a Romoska on its way!

Husband doesnt know yet though!

x

Have you bought the 'grand' or the standard one? Also, have you ordered the other clobber on offer, e.g. the book, rack, extra pans, etc? Just debating whether to get one - especially if it uses less energy than my electric oven! Why am I drawn to kitchen gadgets?!! :shock:

Saronne x

I found my old Breville sandwich maker last week. It had been packed when I moved over a year ago. And I can only assume somebody else (OH) packed it, as it had not been cleaned from the last use and had FUR on it. :vom::vom::vom: So that's a gadget which has definitely NOT been used for a while! :):?

I use my gadgets, to the OH's chagrin. I make breadmaker bread a few times a week (less hassle than walking for half an hour to the supermarket - takes three minutes to get it going) and use my slow cooker to do stews at least once a week. The filter coffee maker kick starts the OH daily, and I even have a special sprout grower which I use ever spring to sprout mung and cress seeds for salads. And I love my Foreman grill.

He got me an apple press for Christmas and I can't wait to use it come autumn.

I need more cupboards! :lol:

tupperwear orange peeler. :roll:

now I would use that!, as I hate to peel oranges and I had an orange peeler once (free gift at a tupperware party my mum dragged me to) but where it went I just dont know.

Its on its way to you :lol:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Breadmaker is languishing in the garage. I don't know if it was just me but the bread was always as heavy as a cannon ball. My second icecream maker has done exactly the same as the first and now doesn't s"Ooops, word censored!"e the bowl properly so that will be going soon too.

My juicer gets a run out for a while until I get fed up with cleaning it and then it has another holiday in the cupboard for a few months.

My blender gets used quite frequently for smoothies. I did not like the smoothie maker as I didn't like all the fiddly bits on it.

My fave gadget is a really cool cork screw that everyone always raves about. It doesn' get that much use though :liar::liar::wink: