Old Speckled Hen

What kitchen gadget have you bought?.......

I recently bought a slow cooker and regret not getting one years ago. Great braised meat dishes, fabulous curries and bols and a fantastic way to make soup. Use all your left over raw veg, add water and a stock cube and ignore for hours. No steam of splashes, nice enough to serve from and is dishwashable.

I also use a bread maker. Bread fine but even the chickens struggled with the leathery fruit cake from the product recipe book!

Yes my juicer sits in the cupboard :oops:

I am a gadget mad woman - breadmaker, slow cooker, ice cream maker, mixers, liquidisers, smoothie makers, mini choppers and waiting for my Tefal actifry (is that a gadget!).

I hadnt thought of putting soup in my slow cooker but will from now on.

My breadmaker makes delicious carrot cake.

x

Smoothie maker - I might use it more, but it's been ousted by the jug blender on top of the Kenwood chef so is wasting away in the cupboard. Also the pasta maker - OH bought it for me, but seeing as he doesn't like pasta, I don't get much opportunity to make it :roll::lol:

I like using my pasta maker occasionally as the pasta is delicious, but last time I made double and put some in a Lock 'n' Lock in the fridge for the next day.

Clever me, I thought, but in all stuck together in a revolting tangly mass and I had to throw it.

How do the supermarkets make their packaged fresh paste stay in lovely separate pieces?

My favourite gadget is my good old hand mixer. Saves on aching arms. Coming in a close second is my chargrill. Barbeques indoors... mmmm 8)

Juicer.

I can't be bothered cleaning it and it makes weirdly frothy juice 8)

I did loads of apples in the autumn as they were eaters and not very nice to look at and scabby - juiced loads and yes had frothy liquid which I strained through a muslin and froze in water bottles in freezer and am having the nicest clear apple juice which looks golden and as it should do so try straining it before you drink it - its lovely

I have a few modern gadgets - most of which get used regularly like the pasta machine, ice cream maker and slow cooker but some rarely see the light of day now. The yogurt maker has been put further back in the cupboard and has been replaced by a food flask in the airing cupboard which makes far better yogurt than its electric counterpart! LSH bought an electric pie maker ages ago thinking how useful it would be for lunches but it's so difficult to clean that it's not been used for years! The breadmaker ended up in a charity bag as making the bread by hand is much more rewarding and tasty! Most of my regularly used gadgets are kitchen antiques though and are so lovely to use that they will never be retired to the back of the cupboard. The old Villa chip cutter, Spong mincer, Tala potato ricer, Nutbrown egg slicer, pressed glass lemon juicer or the Springbok fruit press etc are fond favourites :D .

I have a pasta maker sitting on top of the kitchen cupboards, must sell it. Sold the breadmaker as that was gathering dust, much prefer to do it in the oven myself. Have a coffee maker which might hand on to the ex although one pot is broken, got rid of the juicer (which I only bought on a whim when I saw Katie Price / Jordan promoting a bizarre green (and vile tasting! :vom: ) juice which she allegedly drank every day and helped keep her figure! That and no work, lots of childcare and every day in the gym but I was still hoping.... :oops::lol: ) I was given a rice maker too because despite being able to cook LOTS of things I could NEVER get rice right, but I seem to have the hang of it now :roll:

BeckyBoo

have never smoothied with my smoothy maker, but its great for blitzing up soup in (holds loads more than the blender). My Potato Ricer and my dualit hand mixer are also genius gadgets.

the blow torch for creme brulees wasnt such a great idea ... never made one in my entire life.

was going to get a bread maker, but have decided to stick to the oven. Next on the list is an ice cream maker.

I used to have a juicer that was such a pain to clean. Thank goodness it was only a cheap one and I felt justified binning it when it started to smell like hot electrics when switched on :shock:

I use my breadmaker and slow cooker/rice cooker. We have an egg poacher that OH was given when he was a student that we never use, far easier to do them in a pan of water! :lol:

Breadmaker - used to make a loaf every week until OH confessed he didn't like the texture (he only has bread as toast) and Son has "gone off" sandwiches. Did make some pizza dough in it recently

Ice cream maker - didn't use at all last year but lots the year before

I do however use my food processor, slow cooker, hand blender, jug blender and panini grill

I have a pasta maker which I use all the time (well I've only had it 2 weeks!) I have been taking pasta to work for months now so this is saving me money and it's a good use for eggs. I make the pasta and dry it well before cutting it - not too dry or it's crumbly. I dry it over the Aga on the airer but you can by a pasta drying thing. Then I make it and cook it and put it in a lock and lock and help myself to a bowlfull every morning to take to work. I don't get a sticky mess. I also have a bowl full of dry uncooked pasta that will do James for a tea one night - I made extra a few days ago and just put the extra in the fridge.

I have a food processor which I use a lot

George Foreman which is going to the boot sale this summer..

Kettle & Toaster that need to go on Ebay (surplus to requirements since I got the Aga)

Bread Maker that can go on freecycle - the bottom of the pan got broken but they can be replaced for a lot less than the cost of a new one and I found the bread is easier to make myself and it tastes better!

Popcorn machine that I use very infrequently but may also be superflous thanks to the Aga

Microwave that I don't really use....guess why!

Coffee maker that is sitting in the summer house and needs to go on Ebay - got a stove top one now

ooooh I wonder how many I've forgotton??

Hmmm - well...Ice cream maker ( now sold it), juicer (horrendous to clean), Easy yo yoghurt maker - forgot about some & it erm went mouldy in the maker, Remoska has now taken a back seat, steam cleaner yellow penguin style, pannini press has also taken a back seat, sandwich toaster (cheese overflowed - grrrr), brother embroidery machine (it might get used more when my neice/nephew arrives)

Best gadgets ever - kenwood chef, singer sewing machine (24 years old) & Tefal electric jam maker! I use these all the time. :D

Emma.x