Guest Poet

rescue dog advice- we've got one!- **PICS**

I'm posting here because more people use this forum so I'm hoping it will be allowed to stay...

For a long, long time now I've been dithering about getting a dog. I've never had a dog before so I'm quite nervous about the whole thing.

I know I would want a rescue dog though and am thinking of popping along to our local RSPCA shelter to see the dogs there.

I'm not looking for any particular breed but I do want a smallish dog, nothing too big and nothing that might be too noisy or agressive and would hopefully get on with the girls, although I will never mix them. If the dog is out then the girls will be in their run!

What advice would you give me, what questions should I ask, what should I look for etc?

Is having a dog very expensive?

I still haven't made a firm decision either way yet, just looking for advice at the mo.

Has anyone ever got a dog and regretted it or was it the best thing you ever did?

thanks

EDIT-----------------------------------------------------------

okay, we've been and gone and done it! We went to the RSPCA today and it was heartbreaking, all those eyes looking pleadingly up at you :(

we saw 3 dogs we liked the look of so the kennel girl brought them out and they were bouncing all over the place, far too energectic for me sadly! I doubt they'll be in there long though as they were very cute!

I asked the girl if she had anything a bit more docile and maybe smaller and she mentioned a yorkie they had in. We'd walked past her without really considering her.

The girl brought her out and she lay down and rolled over and was lovely and placid and had the weetest little face!

Soooooooooooooo, we've reserved her and we now need to wait for a home visit etc. She honks to high heaven so first trip will be to the grooming parlour! I've told Ian she's getting a bow on her head and he went :roll:

:D

Providing everything checks out, Molly (or Molls for short) is coming to live with us!!!! :D

here she is

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2308903&l=872de45d90&id=568396756

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2308904&l=c165cb73b9&id=568396756

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2308905&l=5440c962c2&id=568396756

Edited by Guest

Our first german shepherd was a rescue from the Blue Cross. We went to the Blue Cross as they were advertising some puppies but came away with a 5 year old German Shepherd!

Its heart wrenching going to a rescue kennels and you will find yourself wanting to take them all, I am a big believer in fate and I kind of think the dog picks you :D The staff will have already assessed their temperment so you can ask questions about that, tell them all the qualities you are looking for (laid back & quiet friendly dog) and I am sure they will find you a match.

Costs - for Bracken we pay £90 every 5/6 weeks or so for food & treats (she's a big dog though :wink: ) and we buy Burns which is a natural food with no additives (and they use free range hens in their chicken flavour feed :D )

Pet insurance - £26 a month (a smaller dog would be cheaper I guess)

We do tend to spoil her (new coats, toys, brushes, collars etc) so its kind of hard to estimate costs really. :think:

Getting a dog/s was the best thing we have ever done, she is part of the family, I think she makes us closer as a couple and we enjoy the outdoors. Bracken comes everywhere with us (holidays, camping & caravanning, day trips in the car, shopping etc) the only time she is alone is when she is shut in for a few hours 3 days a week.

I think you would be a perfect dog mum, just imagine you could take your new friend out in the camper with you, down the allotment, out when you go hedgerow foraging - it would be a perfect fit! :D

Hi Poet.

Hope things go well for you. I have a small dog (10kgs) and he costs less than the chickends to feed!!! He has half a 150g tray of food and some biscuits once a day, and some odd treats.. the meat is 35p for 150g!!!

You must ask his history incase you've got children or little visitors. I'm sure other have more experience but I'm not sure the jack russels/ terriers will be suited to chooks if you're not sure on the history. My boy is fine though....

Make sure their injections are up todate and they have been 'done' as you won't want to incur that cost. Also check to see if there is a health history available incase you are adverse to long term vet fees.....

I think it must be very hard going to shelters as you want to bring them all home!!! So be strong!

Hi Poet - firstly I think its brilliant that youre thinking about a rescue ... there are so so many out there at the moment that need good homes.

I dont think we will ever be without a dog in our house and I love every minute of having her, but there are some downsides.

Cost - i'd say middle of the road. Food is probably around £5-£6 per week min, but make sure you get it insured whatever you do and if at all possible try to go for a "whole of life" policy (which should cover ongoing illness). If you're getting a heinz 57 then they should be pretty robust, but it only takes a broken leg or a swollowed toy and you could be thousands out of pocket.

Time - as much as you can give it, but how much human company they need will depend on the breed/dog. Again a heinz 57 is probably going to be ok but they may need more excercise than some pure breeds. Id say most dogs could cope with a good long walk once a day but would prefer twice if they can get it. Its not just the walks though, you'll also need to set aside time for training (or re-training if its a rescue!!).

Tidy House - never again will your house look perfect ... even after you've just cleaned it. Hair / shedding will depend on the dog, but the eye greb / snot / dribble will be fairly universal!!

The important thing is to get as much info as you can about the dog ... you really do need to know where its come from and why its been given up for adoption, otherwise you could have a problem.

Why not get a knowledgable friend to go with you to the rescue home?

good luck

I agree that a lot of research is important, a lot of rescue centres also let you walk or foster a dog that you're interested in, so that you can see if you get on.

Apart from childhood dogs and the current incumbent, I've always had rescued lurchers and love them to bits. Rescue dogs will be vaccinated, wormed and neutered, some even come with 6 weeks free pet insurance. They will, of course, expect to home-check you.

Because of your health, I would suggest one that isn't too lively and doesn't need lots of walks; greyhounds and whippets. or lurchers ( :wink: ) come into this category.

You will need to think about where it will sleep, whether it will be crate trained, if any areas of the house will be off-limits, if it will have an area of it's own - Ruby has the run of the kitchen when we're out.

Perhaps borrow a friends doggie while they are on holiday to see how you get on. It's pretty much like having children with the clobber you accumulate and the training needed :lol:

Try asking Lesley - she's a 'non-doggy person' with a dog

Hi Poet, I think it would be wonderful if you got a rescue dog, I am going to encourage you as much as I can :) We have had two rescue dogs from Battersea dogs home and they were both brilliant in their individual way. We are currently dogless since Sasha died but we are about to rescue another dog very soon.

If you tell the rescue centre exactly what you are looking for they will do their best to guide you and match you up with a suitable dog. They will want to know your circumstances, whether there is someone around most of the time, whether you have a garden, what other pets you have, are there children in the house etc., they will probably do a home visit.

Dogs need a good walk at least once a day, rain or shine :roll: they also enjoy mini walks, if you go out to buy a pint of milk or post a letter, the dog just enjoys being out with YOU. A smallish dog shouldn't cost too much to feed depending on which dog food you choose. It is the vet which you have to budget for. I have never insured any of our pets, but I will insure our next dog because vet's charges seem to have risen steeply :( As with chickens, they don't need toys and treats, but most dog owners seem to end up buying things to please their dogs. I have always found training quite simple and rewarding, but then we are very easy going and have always let our dogs on the furniture and beds :) We have always made sure that our dogs are trained to stop at kerbs, walk roughly to heel, sit, stay etc., makes dog owning so much easier. I guess there are people who get a dog and regret it, but for me it has always been one of the best things I have ever done. Good luck, I hope you decide to go ahead, I doubt you will regret it.

Tessa

Poet how lovely that you are thinking about getting a dog. I met someone the other day with a little puppy and she said she has never spoken to so many people whilst out walking. Dogs = chatting.

I've had a couple of rescue dogs. The first Sally was from Battersea and we had her for 12 1/2 years. We had no real problems with her, she liked the odd bark up and down the garden but that was it. She died in 2006 and all the family (even distant) still talk about her. She was great with the kids, not so great with one of the cats but ok with the other. She was a staff mixed with a greyhound/whippet sort of mix. Lovely, lovely girl. It was like Chelsea said and she found us really. She was in with a border collie that my hubby wanted but they wouldn't let us have it because of our young kids. I said to him about Sally (or Belinda as she was known in there :shock: ). When we said we would have her after meeting her in a little room, they actually discovered she shouldn't have been in the sale bit yet as she had only been there 6 days. We spent an anxious night waiting to see if she would be claimed. We went back the next day and got her.

After Sally died we thought we would have another rescue dog. Back to Battersea, had an interview and they took down details of what we wanted etc. There were no appropriate dogs there at that time. They then phoned us with details of another dog. We all went and saw her and my husband and the kids fell instantly in love with her. I liked her but thought there was something about her I wasn't sure of. They said she was ok with cats but in reality she wasn't and injured our cat Dave. I have a catalogue of disasters with the dog but suffice to say that on one day she attacked me twice and I'm afraid that was it then we took her back. We had had her for 6 weeks and I do feel a failure but it wasn't for want of trying. We had a trainer come in to try to sort it out but I just didn't trust her then.

I think that you have to spend a long time with a dog if its a rescue one. Take it out for a walk (we weren't offered this chance) and if you have any doubts whatsoever don't take it. I should have gone with my gut instinct.

We now have Cookie who we got as a puppy. If we ever had another dog I wouldn't discount gettting a rescue dog but I would not let myself be persuaded by other family members. I'm the one at home with the dog all day.

Good luck :D

Our experience of the RSPCA wasn't too good - when we got Ruby, she had quite a couple of quite expensive health issues which would have been obvious to the RSPCA when she was there and 'checked out', however we were told she had no health issues. :roll:

Also, you can't actually guarantee that they will come with any history - Ruby didn't, and we had to all learn to live with each other from scratch.

Good luck in your search if you decide to go ahead! :D

After reading through the other posts where you are advised to find out as much as you can about a dog, I just wanted to add that dogs end up in rescue homes for all kinds of reasons.

Our last dog Sasha was a stray, running the streets of South London, we didn't really know how old she was or anything about her background. A good rescue home will do all kinds of personality tests on a dog before they put them up for rehoming.

Tessa

Poet, if you google "dog rescue centres cheshire" it comes up with quite a few in your area and not just the big well known charities either, some little sanctuaries locally that are looking for homes. :) I've been looking for you but too many links to put on here! :)

I did ring the RSPCA earlier just to find out if we just turn up for a look etc and he mentioned that all dogs in kennels will come home with kennel cough. Is this right and do I have to buy products to treat it?

Oohh Poet, how exciting :D ! Hush their little ears, but if I didn't work silly hours I'd much rather have dogs than cats :oops: . You get a bit of exercise walking them, you make lots of friends (but you won't have your own identity, you'll just be owner of xxx) and dogs always seem to love you no matter what. My family's first dog came from the RSPCA in 1974, and we loved him so much we've had the same breed (Norwegian Elkhounds) in the family ever since - he was definitely a good choice! :D .

You can expect to get asked lots of questions by the shelter, even things like what would happen to the dog if you died or became incapacitated :shock:, and they will probably want to do a home visit. Like everyone else has said, be up-front with the shelter about exactly what you are looking for. It's in everyone's interest that dogs are placed in permanent homes first time, so they'd rather you were clear about what you want than tried to be polite and ended up not being happy. Some places now insist on you meeting a dog several times before you're allowed to take them home.

I'm entirely with Seagazer that if it doesn't feel right, don't - no matter how sorry for them you feel :( . One of my aunts had a similar experience of a dog that adored my uncle and bit my aunt whenever he wasn't around, and she hadn't really felt right about the choice either.

All the very best in making your decision (and we'll look forward to seeing pix of one very lucky and happy little doggie very soon! :D )

The business stuff - Our costs:

Dog £? rescue centres usually ask about £60-80 and pedigrees go for hundreds

Initial dog stuff collar/lead/basket/blanket/bowls/shampoo/brush etc.. £30 (although we spent a couple of hundred :lol: )

Initial vaccinations £60

Boosters each year £50

Kennel cough vaccination (yearly) £40 (optional although if you plan to use boarding kennels they often insist on it)

Microchip £30

Dog crate for indoors £20

Dog crate for car £35

Dry food (mid range) £17 for a sack that lasts three months or more BARGAIN!

Treats and treat wet food £10 a month

Insurance £25 a month for a pedigree, starts from £8 ish for a mongy

Grooming/clipping/stripping £30 a few times a year

Above for a lovely knee high dog

Walking needs to be done come rain or shine but it is a small price to pay as long as one of you doesn't mind the rain!

Our dog is a wirehaired dog who doesnt moult which is a huge benefit :D

The good and slushy stuff:

Getting a dog was (*puts hand on heart*) one of the best things we have ever done, he completed our little family in such a loving, fun-loving way and I cannot imagine life without little Otis :D sorry if that sounds sentimental but he is the best thing sinced sliced bread :P

The book 'Choosing the right dog for you' by Gwen Bailey was our constant companion for the few months prior to getting a dog, it helped us to see what sort of dog would suit us and helped us get a good match, it would even help in a rescue situation as many rescue dogs have obvious links to recognisable breeds, I thoroughly recommend this book :D

btw I personally don't recommend the RSPCA as my parents and a couple of friends have all had dogs/cats from them that needed unexpected medical attention subsequently. The Dogs Trust are apparently very good though

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do! :D

Alternatively you could look up breed rescues. We got Dan from the Labrador Rescure NW. I had grown up with dogs, but Dan is MY first dog.

It was hard work to start with, as we had to build up his confidence (we were his 3rd home and he was only just 3!), but it was worth it, because Dan is now the most beautiful, kind, gentle and laid back dog you can ever imagine. (We've just had his portrait painted as my Christmas pressy from last year - so you can see how much he means to us! Have a look at http://www.penningtonart.co.uk/Images/dan_labrador_100.jpg). We normally go on holiday in this country staying in cottages - and he comes with us.

I do really recommend going to training classes for at least a few months - it's a good way of building confidence for both dog and owners (especially if you haven't had a dog before). You've got to be the boss - in a good way - otherwise you may end up with a dog telling you what to do. Again the training classes really help with this. (We still go to classes 5 years on (but not as often as we used to) - I can really recommend the one we go to - but it may be a bit far for you (it's near Delamere).

Good luck

Jill

we're not far from Delamere :D

we take our chickens to a vets in frodsham and get our chicken feed from Gibsons in Frodsham and got our camper van from Discover (aka Harringtons) in Delamere so we're over there a fair bit. It's so beautiful out there, I'd love to move there one day.

A lab is too big for us but thanks for the info, lovely portrait :D

Poet - Cookie is a Poodle x Golden Retriever. She's absolutely gorgeous and doesn't moult. If it wasn't for her chicken poo eating she would be perfect :wink::lol:

My dog Sally came from Battersea with kennel cough but it wasn't a big deal, she had to avoid other dogs for a while, can't even remember if we had any medicine to get rid of it. They gave us a voucher to get some money off her being spayed.

we're not far from Delamere :D

we take our chickens to a vets in frodsham and get our chicken feed from Gibsons in Frodsham and got our camper van from Discover (aka Harringtons) in Delamere so we're over there a fair bit. It's so beautiful out there, I'd love to move there one day.

A lab is too big for us but thanks for the info, lovely portrait :D

Dan is the slowest dog you can imagine - his idea of a good walk is to go from sniff to sniff. We have timed him sniffing a clump of grass for 5 minutes!! But occasionally, particularly if there is a muddy puddle, he'll have a mad half hour.

You can't be too far from me then - I go to Gibsons too! (it's about 3 or 4 miles from where I live!).

Delamere Dog Training (http://www.delameredogtraining.co.uk/) is the training school we go to - it's held behind the Fishpool Inn (A49 from Warrington, over the junction where you would turn right to Harringtons, past the Hollies Farm Shop, turn right at the lights and it's about 2 miles down there on the left). The do classes on Tuesday and Thursday lunchtimes but also Saturday and Sunday mornings. Cyril the trainer is brilliant. The classes are really friendly as well.

There are breed rescues for all breeds I think - worth Googling. Dogs Trust is very good too. But, if you go to a rescue, they should take time to find out about you - ie check your home and garden, ask about your lifestyle and experience, what you want or expect, and match you to a dog. If they don't - I would suggest that you walk away - because the wrong dog for you could make your life hell (but it could be the perfect dog for someone else).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jill

How lovely that you are thinking about getting a rescue doggy.

We were in a similar situation two years, having never owned a dog myself (although walked all the neighbour's dogs as a kid! :) we visited several rescues and I had set my heart on a Labrador/collie cross. However, we came away with a 6month old Lurcher Pup!

She is without a doubt, the best thing we have ever done, as someone on here has said, she completes our family (we also have our lovely ginger rescue cat) I feel we are all much calmer and have more fun as a family with her. She comes camping with us, holidays, days out, etc.

We lived here for 10 years before we got her and I can honestly say, I have spoken to more people out walking with her, in the past two years, then in the whole 10 years.

Now for the but......

When she arrived with us, she had SERIOUS separation anxiety, which I feel the rescue were not fully honest with us about. She destroyed a sofa, door handles, skirting boards, two dog beds, various towels, bank statements/letters, a certificate, not to mention the dog mess all over the place when left. She could not be caged as this made her ten times worse. :(

It got so bad, that eventually we took her to a behaviourist, who said it was the worst case she had ever seen (turns out she had been passed from pillar to post as a pup) Our pet insurance would not cover the cost and we paid out £600 in medication (she had to have anti-depressants) to help her.

So yes, very expensive rescue doggy in our case, but I would have paid anything to help her as she was in such a state and there was no way I was turning my back on her.

Happy to report that she is now the most loving, soppy, adorable hound /couch potato/cheeky madam ever.

Both our pets are rescues and they have re-paid us a thousand times over in love, affection, laughter and companionship.

I wish you all success in choosing your doggy.

Best thing we ever did, getting Riley :D . He cost us £50, we've probably spent another £100 on collars, leads, car harness, bed, toys etc. Pet insurance about £7pm, vet checkups about £35 twice a year. Dry food, a big bag costs about £10 & lasts a few weeks.

Downsides: fur everywhere, scratches on the door where he's learned to open the livingroom door :roll: , dead grass where he's piddled, our bed remade every day :roll: , but none of them matter :D . We love him and he loves us 8) . We've never put him in kennels as we tend to holiday in the UK but also have a close friend who will have him if need be.

The rescue centre recommended him to us as we had small kids at the time. He was microchipped and neutered already.

Fab that you re thinking of giving a dog a wonderful home :D Both of our muts are from the Manchester Dogs Home Warrington Branch, Holly as a one year old and Alfie a couple of years later as a pup :D

We looked at a home in Stoke and nearly cried when we went round it was so sad and cramped :( The Warrington one is bright and airy and they let us take Holly in to meet Alfie to check they got on before we brought him home :D

There is always dog hair, nose prints on the door to the garden, and foot prints on the floor but I love having them around :D It doesn't matter if you are having a grotty day they will be pleased to see us :D

We are taking the caravan to Barmouth over Easter and taking them with us I'm really looking forward to taking them on the beach early in the morning :D

One little thing, we had my sisters little dog over while she went away for the weekend, and for a small dog she moved around soooo much and took up more room than our two :shock: plus she thought she could go on the furniture, ours don't so I'm afraid neither did she :wink:

Karen x