Guest grd

Rats

Sheila, Phil and everyone else who has offered advice..... thank you!

The latest is: the trap hasn't worked. :?

just because there is no rat in the trap - doesn't mean it didn't work - you cannot expect to catch a rat in a cage trap on day one. If you really want to trap the rat - you'll have to be patient and give it at least a week... Sheila had the posh word for it - neophobic... great word!! - I must revive word-of-the-day one day...

(but, of course, that's the downside with cage-trapping. It's very slow and they can often breed faster than you can trap them... which is why they're not a particularly good idea...)

Phil

Sorry you didn't catch anything last night grd - but it really does take some time so be patient.

Apparently - this is a 'good' year for rats :shock: - same as for the Crane flies. The next door farmer made a point of coming to tell us that when they combined the nextdoor field, they had never seen so many rats. No doubt they have now all taken up residence in our outbuildings :(

We will have no choice but to call in Pest Control here but previously, we have used humane traps only to have to revert to killer traps. It isn't nice to have to kill any animal but sometimes, it is necessary.

Yes!...you're so right Lesley - Daddy Long legs!

There are millions of them. They hide in our house until I get up about 4am to feed Stefan, then they all have a go at me at once and try to nest in my hair. There is always one that settles inside the lamp too.

I try to remain calm for Stefan's sake....but I'm panicking on the inside and desperate to scream for Darren :evil: I'm not a huge fan of them... :?

We have a plague of Crane Flies here too! :roll:

I finished digging - no rats nest. :? There seemed to be a food storage area under the paving slabs and there is clearly a 'run' coming from under next doors fence. I have re-positioned the trap and we'll see what happens. This rat has shown a lot of nerve so far. He is within 20ft of the house and within 2ft of my office. :?

I don't think you're going to be able to stop your neighbour feeding the birds so you'll just have to deal with the problem from your side. It's not nice having them that close is it.

We've always had problems with rats making their nests under the shed so when we put up a new shed next to the chickens and for storing the feed, I put old pieces of guttering leading from all sides into a central chamber when we laid the base. We will be able to bait this area if/when the rats move in :?

We have a plague of Crane Flies here too! :roll:

I finished digging - no rats nest. :? There seemed to be a food storage area under the paving slabs and there is clearly a 'run' coming from under next doors fence.

..in which case - poison is probably the only effective answer - and tackling the neighbour. I'd think seriously about calling in council pest control and pointing it out to them - they'll see the rat-run and they have more chance of tackling the neighbour than you have...

perhaps to get the message across you should spring-trap a few rats and leave them on her doorstep....

Phil

:lol:

But, anyway, I think if there are rats having an easy life in your neighbourhood, it won't just be because your neighbour feeds birds. There are always lots of attractions everywhere, since rats eat almost anything.

There are colonies in our road living in the drains & sewers and I don't think it's just our road! They're everywhere, but I do consider them vermin if they come near me or the hens! Good luck Graham.

Hmmmm - that's not really an option anyway. She's an elderly lady living on her own and I couldn't do that to her. :?

Graham :shock:

I'm a young lady living with my husband. I hope that wouldn't make a difference to your decision on what to do with your rat :shock::wink:

You boys - you're outrageous!

my kids have been working on possible old-lady cage baits...

so far - a little table with a doily on it - some digestive biscuits, a nice cup of tea and some crumpets...

(I think they should write for Monty Python...)

Phil

I understood that they could become immune to poison. I have worked on the railway for 20 years (not on nights anymore), but when I did work nights rats were common and they used to devour the poison - didn't seem to bother them a bit. They are either immune or there are so many of them that the poison does no good. What I do know is that they never wore a high-vis vest when crossing the lines...

I agree with your suggestion that it could be that rats are so prolific we will never get to the bottom of the problem, because, as older ones eat the poison and die, newer ones just take their place . In my (minimal) experience, once a rat has devoured a belly full of poison two or three days running s/he goes off to die somewhere, usually within a couple of days so not long enough to produce an immune litter. I believe from reading this thread that Cinnamon is in a fairly rural area so would see rats more regularly as they would pick her property out because it is the only one around? Those of us in towns and cities are closer to them but don't see them often as richer pickings are probably to be had near takeaways, and other commercial establishments. I live near loads of takeaways but have only ever had one rat in my garden (a dying baby one as it happens) because I don't have any foodstuffs which are easily accessible to them, although I do have supplies of poison laid down in the woodshed just in case.

If you are determined to do the no kill route here are a couple of things to keep in mind Graham :shock:

Rats are full of disease and if you have any cuts or scratches make sure they are covered AND wear hgloves Leptospirosis (weils disease) is fatal and can be caught through their urine :evil:

If you have set traps legally you must check them at least once in every 24 hours otherwise you could be done under the wildlife and countryside act rats are vermin but if you trap them you are responsible for their welfare :roll:

I know culling them is unpleasant but it is the only way to get rid :wink:

They can become imune to poison very quickly as well :evil::evil::evil:

I believe from reading this thread that Cinnamon is in a fairly rural area so would see rats more regularly as they would pick her property out because it is the only one around? Those of us in towns and cities are closer to them but don't see them often as richer pickings are probably to be had near takeaways, and other commercial establishments.

Strangely enough,I never see them,just find the....ahem..... evidence of their presence 8)

We konw they are always about,as we have a stream & live in a rural area like you said.

Maybe country rats ar not as bold as town rats.....mind you,we do have a lot of places for them to hide if they want :?:?

one theory about town rats is that they have become addicted to high-cholesterol foods like discarded big-macs and KFCs - and stuff out of people's bin-liners..

so much so that they are not interested in the traditional grain-based baits..

a further theory is that rats are quite clever and they have started to associate feeling unwell with taking bait - hence they stop taking it and don't injest a lethal dose..

that said - and notwithstanding reports of a new breed of super-rat... poison still works in most cases.

I wouldn't use poison in the house - I'd use a zapper or a spring-trap, the problem with poison indoors is that the rat might die under your floorboards or behind the wall insulation - thus causing a foul stink and attracting flies and then maggots

outside - I'd still use poison or get the council in to do it properly...

Phil