• Whiskers
    • Felix
    • Go-Cat
    • James Wellbeloved
    • Hills
    • Eukanuba
    • OTHER

Hi all,

My mum said i can have a kitten after we move.

But i'm not sure what to feed her.

I am scared of using Iams cuz we switched our late cat,T.C, to it a few days before he died, and not long after there were posts on google about it killing pets :think:

So just wondering what do you think is best!

Edited by Guest

To be perfectly honest I think its a matter of personal preference on your part, my cats get whiskas in Jelly as its the only food the older one will eat, we have sampled and thrown away ( not that he's fussy or anything)most of them.

The majority of cat foods are all made by the same companies, try going onto some websites eg purina, whiskas etc because you can register and get free samples sent to you for your kitten.

Personally I don't think it really matters what you feed a cat, you have to take into consideration costs. I have always fed my various cats tinned cat food from the supermarket, whatever is a reasonable price and they all lived to a ripe old age. I do however feed my current cat James Wellbeloved dry food because that's what the breeder recommended, she gets a third of a pouch of Whiskas tuna twice a day just for its moisture content, and she loves it :)

Tessa

We feed ours half a pouch of felix wet food in the morning and half each at night then they have Go Cat dried down during the day.

I dont know if Whiskers change their reciepe regulary but my cats have always gone on and off it, My old cat used to love Morrisons My Cat but my new kittens wont touch it!

Think its just down to the individual cat really trial and error to find something they like! if you get one from a breeder they will tell you what they are feeding them so you can carry on, i think in rehoming centres they get a bit of whatever they get donated to be honest...

You will love haivng a kitten! ours give us a lot of entertainment but are also the soppiest things ever!!

Piperkit likes Tescos own in jelly - in fact, its all she wil eat :roll:

I get her a big bag of dried stuff from the feed wholesalers when I get chicken food (erm, cat food for the cat :lol: ) and she has a bowl of that down most of the time

it is down to what the cat will eat though, you may have to try a few before you get one that works.

or is my cat just spoiled rotten :anxious::think::whistle:

:lol:

cathy

x

Mine can't eat Felix - it just makes them throw up so I dont give it to them anymore. I vary what they have - they always have biscuits down and have wet food in the morning. I'm afraid they get what they're given and if they don't like it they do without - don't do fussy eaters!!! :wink:

two of mine were prone to cystitis, so are on a Hills prescription diet - they do get a pouch each for breakfast though, whatever is on offer at Sainsbury's!

my vet has recently suggested a dry food called Burns, so I am mixing that in and so far, so good!

We're on IAMS at the moment, but I'm considering a move back to James Wellbeloved. Nero has lost quite a bit of condition, and I'm wondering to myself if his dicky tummy isn't tolerating it as well. They all loved James Wellbeloved, and it was brilliant for those of them with sensitive digestions. Just a bit pricey with five ravenous beasties.

If you are staying local, let me know when you are ready for a kitten.

I help with my local CP and we currently have several (in fact loads) of kittens looking for homes. All our kittens are vet checked, wormed, vaccinated, microchipped, treated for fleas before going to their new homes. :clap:

I selected felix becuase out of all the wet food I've tried that has the least offensive smell :vom: It is popular with the neighbouring cats as well :lol:

I use a mix of wet and dry. I've just managed to get a pack of Burns cat food that is supposed to be more ethical but not tried it on my cats yet.

I would tend to agree with everyone on here :D ... I've had cats when I was younger, who were fed on cheaper, supermarket food and even butcher's leftovers minced, and they were fine... my cats are all currently fed on Royal Canin, and they are fine. I stick to that choice cause it was recommended after one of the cats developed digestive problems (quite serious), and ever since she's been on that as opposed to whiskas, she's been fine... also their fur is amazingly soft, softer than before they went on this diet.

This being said Royal Canin (Science Hills is the other one which is often recommended in similar ways) is quite expensive (we have 5 cats and the bills are high), and as many people are saying, many cats do fine on any diet, and many fed on cheaper diets go on to live a long and happy life, so it can't be argued that it's 'bad for them'.

I guess it's a question of chosing the right cost and also availability (while many people officially 'stock' royal canin, they actually run out of stock more often than not, so I have to be very organised and order online well in advance when running out, as changing diets suddenly is not so good for some cats either), and be ready and prepared to change your mind if for any reason your particular cat necessitates a particular diet...

Good luck with the kitten... exciting prospect!!