theherd123

We have joined The Herd!!!

Really pleased to hear that they are settling in so well, loved the pictures too - sounds like they are getting spoilt, lucky them!!!

8)

Seriously thinking about getting a rescue chook sister for Gwen and Doris !!

That probably wouldn't be a good idea if you were only getting 1 chook. They would be very weak and would not be able to stand their own in the pecking order with two healthy chooks, the BHWT usually only allow you to rehome chooks in 3 or more!

I forgot to mention we have not had any eggs for the last 3 days - not that we care as long as the girls are happy!!! :D:D:D

We gave them their new galvanised feeder & drinker today too - but the drinker soon got full of hemcore so they now have a sparkly granite table from which they can wine & dine! :D:D:lol:

Also i was terribly worried about the girls going out in the cold esp as they have not got full feathers yet so i bought one of these!

http://www.snugglesafe.co.uk/heatpad.htm

I microwave it for 5 mins then pop it into the eglu tray under the roosting bars, it stays warm for over 10 hours & it comes with a washable cover. (great if it gets chicken poo on it!) :lol::lol:

Emma you make me laugh!

I haven't really bought anything for the chooks other than eglu, feed and 100g of corn, oh and some netting. The rest I have been given.

I don't think there is any need to buy all the health products and empty my pockets if I might not need them. I live opposite a pet shop and 20 mins away from the Domestic Fowl Trust in Honeybourne! 8)

Emma you make me laugh!

I haven't really bought anything for the chooks other than eglu, feed and 100g of corn, oh and some netting. The rest I have been given.

I don't think there is any need to buy all the health products and empty my pockets if I might not need them. I live opposite a pet shop and 20 mins away from the Domestic Fowl Trust in Honeybourne! 8)

I think they deserve it as they are rescue hens 8)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Emma, those chooks have certainly landed on their feet, getting you as their mum!

I'm not sure I've ever heard of such pampered chickens before - lucky girls!

Thanks thats nice to know! :oops::lol:

Martin i have had to buy them new feeders & drinkers because the grub & glug dont fit over the weld mesh i have made the hen hotel out of ( & because i want to spoil them rotten too!) :wink:

Lesley im so glad i took your advice on the Corby Press - v wise decision indeed! :wink::lol:

We had an egg from Spangle yesterday and one from Mojo today :D

You know i mentioned to a few people on my team at work that i was adopting rescue hens but i went to do a presentation at a meeting tonight & the Deputy Head now knows! :lol: She even mentioned me knitting jumpers for the girls too - i was so :shock::shock::shock: then burst out laughing - now everyone knows im mad! :oops::roll::roll:

All is great with the girls and they have settled in well at the hen hotel - they appear to be loving the room service & bed warming facilities! :lol::lol:

I dont know about the rest of you but with these dark nights i dont get to see much of them in the week! :roll:

I have installed a chuck watching chair in the run and intend to sit there for a few hours at the weekend 8):lol:

Flump is now pottering about with ease and only occasionally limps but now my baby bear Poppy has pulled her leg again :roll: - so she is on Aconite & Arnica - think i might be needing some too before the week is out!! :shock::shock:

Yes she is going for her usual swim on Sat at 7am - even at the weekends i dont get a lie in! :roll::roll: Oh well she's worth it :D:D:D

We got another egg today but no one is owning up to it :anxious:

It was a major farce getting the girls into bed tonight! :roll:

I thought i had got all four in the Eglu and quickly shut the door but then realised i had only got 3 in - Spangle was being a little rebel - she must have circled the Eglu 4 times and each time i opened the door to shoo her in another one of the girls would pop out and escape :roll::roll:

Must say their characters are really coming out now. :D

Spog is getting a little above her station and has been picking on Spangle who is quite a quiet girl, Mojo is boss and no-one messes with her - she puts Spog in her place when she picks on Spangle. Flump is getting better day by day and is the bravest as she's the only one who will eat out of my hand. :D

Thanks for the update. Are they still wearing their woolly jumpers? Am I right in thinking you kept them in the garage at first Did they have heating as well? Did you put them in the eglu in the garage or something else? Its so mild at the moment I wouldn't feel so bad about putting ex-batts outside but I might be getting some in mid-December and am worried about where to keep them at first as it will probably be much colder then. and they won't be in a cosy eglu either. I am starting to think I should wait for the next rescue than subject them to unsuitable conditions.

Sorry for all these questions!

Tina