theherd123

We have joined The Herd!!!

Valid points made - I think this is one where's there's no right or wrong answer - I think its a balancing thing.

Maybe since part of the financial struggle is christmas looming you could cut back on gift giving /christmas spending - I wonder how much you will be spending on gifts and food and decorations etc? We used to spend a small fortune without realising it - a few new decorations here, a few nibbly treats there; a pressie for him here a pressie for me there :wink: However, over the last few years (several now in fact) we have been less extravagent with unecessary christmas spending. We don't buy stacks of food like the world's about to end - just getting what we need for christams dinner and boxing day plus some extras for giving to christmas callers and visitors. We still get nibbles and some booze but only enough to see us sensibly through christmas rather than a stock pile that lasts us until Easter :roll:

All the adults in the family have an agreement to not spend over a certain amount on gifts - this is usually £5 or £7 or £10. We like to do £5 and turn it into a competition with a prize for the person who finds/makes the best pressie within budget. (I think there will be some nice hen doorstops being made this year :wink::lol: ) We spend more on the children but not silly money. We usually get my niece and nephew lots of little inexpensive things which they play with for ages and get just as much enjoyment from as big expensive things. And none of this is because we can't afford to do/spend more - it is because we have chosen not to - because we felt that all the best things about christmas didn't cost much anyway - i.e. all being together without having to go to work (not everyone has this luxury I know) playing games (my family just LOVE playing board games even though it always ends in tears and even though me and my sister are both in our 30s! :roll: ) playing nice christmassy music; going for nice walks on cold christmassy morning etc.

Why not decide with your OH that neither of you will buy eachother presents this year - or at least just something very small to open on the day (last year I got a nice head-torch that I can use for tending to my hens in the dark winter mornings/evenings! :wink: - so much easier with 2 hands!!)

You could even get your children a little less and call the hens the main present for the whole family this christmas.

You can even cut down on the run up to christmas by eating simple homemade foods - see how much kazzaddress has saved on her weekly food/household bills!!!!!!!!

So xraylady has some valid points about financial lessons and I have amended my thoughts slightly - now I would say HAVE A GOOD HARD LOOK AT WHETHER YOU COULD MAKE SAVINGS IN OTEHR AREAS FIRST AND IF YOU GENUINELY CANNOT ONLY THEN SHOULD YOU LOOK AT SPENDING YOUR DAUGHTERS ALLOWANCE.

Hope this helps (I'm afraid it was a bit wordy :?:?:? )

Can I add something here please :wink:

Please don't think you do nothing unless you adopt. Funds are always needed so that is one way to help the hens, donations, fund raising ideas and sponsorship. You can make sure you shop carefully and don't buy hidden battery eggs in products and also pass on the information. if anyone donates £5 or more until the 7th of Dec they have a chnace to win a years subscription to Organic Life Mag (see the announcement in NB)

I don't have my own rescue girls sadly (next move we will) but I obviously work for the charity and do as much as I can to get the info out there through my role of consumer research coordinator. Loving homes are a real bonus BUT it's not the only way to make a difference.

BBx

Instead of a 'normal' Christmas gift why not adopt a hen (or two!) like you can for any other charity? :D:D

Little chicken update on The Sweetie Girls!!

Unfortunately Flump is not too good :( and is struggling to walk more than a couple of metres before she has to sit down but bruising may be the cause so we are keeping our eye on her. She is eating & drinking well.

Last night the girls had egg for their tea before they put themselves to bed - thank heavens! :roll::roll:

They spent their first day on their own today and when i got home im sure they were pleased to see me - least i hope they were :? i then gave the girls 4 strawberry tops!!! :shock::shock::shock: OMG i thought they had turned into vultures :shock::shock::shock:

Spangle pecked at one then grabbed it in her beak and ran into the Eglu closely followed by Spog who wanted a piece of the action. :lol: Mojo was happy eating one to herself outside until Spangle came dashing out to steal it off her :roll: Mojo was not a happy girl :evil: and promptly stole it back & sent Spangle running :lol: Flump meanwhile just couldnt see what all the fuss was about! :roll::roll:

Oh, we had another egg today but someone squashed it :roll::roll: - noone is owning up!

My two run after each other as well. Even if it is somethig they don't like they hate the thought of missing out.

Anyway I read through your replies to me last night and as expected there was lots of encouragement and some well thought-out arguments. Much of what was said was already spinning around in my head. I don't really want to use Layla's money - wise words x-ray lady - and I am not going to. Instead :idea: we decided to do something no-one suggested and buy a second-hand ark. It is interesting that no-one questioned my desire for another eglu :?::wink: I love my eglu but its a big outlay (it was my rather extravagant bithday present).

So after a quick look at ebay I have invested £72 in an ark big enough for 12 chooks - not that I would want that many but I prefer them to have some space. We will have to knock up a run but I have a neighbour who loves making things....

Now I have to think about how many ex-batts to rescue. If I just get 2 they can eventually live in the eglu with the existing 2, if I get an extension for the run. I think my max would be 4 extra hens because I haven't got a huge garden. But....so many need homes.... :?

I have already contacted a BHWT co-ordinator.

Now I will have to work out how to tell Layla where I got the money. She won't question it as she is still a bit young to be that savvy, but she has just bought the toy of her desires after having to save her pocket money for 5 weeks. Quite an achievement I think for one so young! But I just go and spend £72..... :oops: But £72 is much easier to find than £300.

And to Emma - I hope Flump is feeling better now. I am sure she appreciates what you are doing for her! I am going to be reading all your posts with even greater interest now.

Thanks everyone :D

Tina

Thanks for the advice Buffie :D as it turns out Mo went and got some Aconite & Arnica today. Flump ate a blueberry laced with it out of my hand - i was so excited when she did it :dance: it took her a while to realise it was for her but hey we cant all be the brightest button in the box! :roll::lol::lol: I stroked her too!

When we got home we found 2 eggs in the nesting box - one was a Spangle egg but the other is 'unknown' - "Ooops, word censored!"ody is claiming credit! :lol:

This is probably a daft question but here goes - When do you think we can start eating their eggs? :?:? We dont really want to be eating tainted battery eggs you see. :vom:

Tina what a wonderful plan you have come up with!! :D:D

Did you really think anyone on this forum would question you about keeping more hens!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Depend how you feel Em. Jane always says she feels she has to have an egg for breakfast as they have gone to the effort of laying it, I tend to think about the conditions and food so feel 2 weeks is ok to leave it.

I'd say you love their eggs but just want them to feel better before you give it as try, check out the colour and watch it change as they become free range girls. :D

BBx

She seems a little better today - i think the Aconite & Arnica have helped along with keeping her warm.

She was holding her own when the meal worms were dished out tonight so i feel much better now! :D:D:D

All the Sweetie girls will be checking into the hen hotel on Saturday so Spog & Spangle will attend in their semi fluffy knickers & Flump & Mojo will be wearing the latest chicken fashion for the grand opening - home made wooly jumpery affairs!

:lol::lol::lol:

Will post photos for you to laugh at!

Edited by Guest

Well the Sweetie Girls checked into their luxury hen hotel at the weekend - OMG you wont believe how much luggage they had!!! :shock::shock::lol:

They all appear to be loving their new home and Mojo & Spog ran around for ages strutting their stuff. 8)

Must say it was a bit of a struggle getting them into the Eglu last night - rounding them up for about 10 minutes! OH had to catch each one and post them in :lol::lol:

Flump is still sitting down when she can but she is on the mend.

:D:D