buffie

Big Bird here we come...

Well I've ordered our Turkey from Woodlands Farm and had to change the weight twice now :oops::oops:

Being the first turkey we've had for many years, just started eating meat again, it's really difficult to know how much you need and what to expect. A friend visited on monday and told me the one I had ordered, for the second time :oops: , wouldn't fit my oven :shock::shock: So another email to poor old Rachel to beg that I can downsize again. They have ok'd it.

The next trial will be storing it :shock: Come the big day we're going to try and leave parents in our local for an hour while we battle with it and all the trimmings. If not I just know there'll be a hundred pieces of advice coming our way and the obligatory 'what time's dinner' :wink:

So we're pretty organised now but just got to explain our meat ethic in more detail to Mikey's parents. Lesley has become our saviour (thanks Lesley) as we are naming her as our meat supplier, friend doing the good life etc, so we can gradually get them used to the fact we won't eat just any meat. I have already told them she is supplying ham, bacon etc so they won't buy meats ( :oops: won't be raiding your freezer Lesley :wink: )

Thinking about it we have to tell them we actually eat meat :shock: as so far it's just the turkey! Went to tell them last weekend but lost the nerve as she said 'that bacon will do for us' and I said 'sorry in this house it's happy lives and good ends' :shock: Brave for me! :D

So the countdown begins, I need an industrial sized kitchen this year but will have to make do, the shed may become a prep area :wink::lol: Or I'll just give up and move into the eglu :wink:

Anyone else had 'fun' with their first christmas dinner? :?:D

BBx

Buff, I've cooked Christmas dinners before, but never turkey, always believing that they have had a pretty miserable life being force fed to grow as big as poss, and not really liking the taste (too dry whenever I've had it before). We have 4 coming to us this year, so decided it has to be traditional. I have found a great supplier: Organic, free range, quality assured etc, paid the money :shock: and am now panicing about the size of the oven too! I have Nigella Lawson's book Feast: Which makes it look pretty simple (ha ha) and she PROMISES me, it won't taste dry.

We'll compare notes on boxing day eh?

By the way, I have also ordered a ham and plan to do turkey and ham pie for boxing day with the leftovers...... and if there's any left after that... its turley curry..... :D

It's our first Christmas dinner at home

The next trial will be storing it :shock: Come the big day we're going to try and leave parents in our local for an hour while we battle with it and all the trimmings. If not I just know there'll be a hundred pieces of advice coming our way and the obligatory 'what time's dinner' :wink:

:shock: Oh no, maybe we need to "wheel" the parents off to a pub :shock:

We need a plan......

We're doing Christmas at home as every year it is so much hassle driving round to multiple relatives. Although....

My Mum saying she can only come if she can stay night of 25th, OH's parents can only stay that night due to shuffling round commitments. If both stay we will end up sleeping on some blow-up matress. It's OH's parent's turn, but my Mum will be :cry: if she isn't invited, OH will be :cry: at not sleeping in our bed and my Mum will probably invite/uninvite herself about half a dozen times between now and Christmas. Then there's my Dad, Gran, Uncle/Aunt to consider. *scream emoticon*

At least we have a turkey on order from the farmshop and can apparently pick another bird even though we have an order. OH is the roast dinner man :D and I have baked the Christmas cake and mincemeat and planning the pudding :D

We usually have a turkey,but this year are going to have pork instead,as none of us really likes turkey- we just had it 'cos thats what you do at Christmas!

We had a joint of pork from Jimmys Farm earlier in the year & it was wonderful,so I will order from there again (plus some sausages & bacon of course!)

The rtimmings & veg come from M&S - well, its my Christmas too & I do not want to spend all my time in the kitchen :lol:

Our parents arrive on christmas eve and stay until the 27th. We like to make it nice for them and we all have a laugh. Dad and I get told to shush because we are too loud...I usually decide I can sing after several glasses of wine. :oops::oops: Mum gives the answers away in trivial pursuit :lol::lol: Mikey's mum will be trying ot dodge cats sittin on her lap as she doesn't like them much :shock: If the kittens don't bring the tree down it will be great :D Can't wait but will be ready for the peace on the 27th no doubt :wink:

Annie we will compare notes and I don't want a dry turkey either, this has to be the best turkey ever tasted or else. it's a fortune in cost but it's had a proper life and that's what you pay for :D I've made my first Christmas cake so I'll get them all a bit merry so they say it's good :lol::lol::lol:

We need a countdown...how many days....We could have a thread and post all the festive prep to get us in the mood, for those of us who love this time of year (me and me and oh me!!!) :D

BBx

BBx

We don't have a whole turkey just the crown as there are only the four of us.

We used to travel around at christmas visiting, but it got too much, so as its also Dan's birthday he is allowed to do what he wants

I am ordering our crown today and will make all the trimmings, read a really nasty report on the making of these a few years ago so will never eat a shop bought sausage wrapped in bacon ever again :vom:

Oh dear

I normally love Christmas but I don't start getting in the "mood" until 1st December - it all goes back to sending everyone on my paperround a card on the 1st - the last year I did it I got over £800 in tips!

(but i was a VERY good paperboy!)

will think about getting the trimmings down from the loft around the 10th this year so they are up 12 days before.

Even though this is our first year as veggie we had a vegan christmas dinner last year as Joe's brother and his partner stayed (1 diabetic vegetarian and 1 vegan)

We are hoping to be away in the caravan and will spend a few days away just Joe, me and Molly dog- got a tiny little tree to go in the caravan as well!!

A

xx

well it was easy really Buff - started the rounds when I was 9, had the same round for 8 years and knew nearly everyone on the estate - used to put the bins out for some of the old dears and in the winter I would carry a carrier bag of salt and grit the paths for some of them so they didn't slip when they went out etc

7 days a week for about 6 years of it and always finished my rounds by 07:30 - on a few occasions I did every round on the estate and had them done by 10! - mind you I was at the shop for 5:50 each morning!

Such a good boy me really!!

I think it helped as my parents never gave me pocket money -said I had to go out and earn it but at least I know what it means to go out and work

Ah them were the days :lol::lol:

Our Christmas day is being spent at my place - Rosie, Phil, me and Rosie's Dad. I am fed up of going over to my sister's place for Waitrose's finest cold selection thrown on the table and materialism gone mad :roll:

We will be having roast (happy) chicken, roast potatoes in goose fat, homemade chestnut and cranberry stuffing balls, devils on horseback (prunes wrapped in bacon), Yorkshire pud, homemade bread sauce, not sure what veggies or desserts yet.

We'll be dropping in at my sister's on Boxing day to see my folks and my neice and nephew, then going on to Phil's folks at the farm for a lovely spread and a relaxing, fun day.

It's my birthday on new year's day, so we always go out for a meal and clubbing on new year's eve.

Go Babs, sounds lovely. :D We like to bolt the doors on new years eve now. Just chill after all the entertaining. Snuggle up, fire on with daisie and 4 puss kits for the first time in years. We'll dress up and have some good food and wine too. Relax before our walking hol for my Birthday in Jan. Not roughing though :wink:

BBx

Andrew, we wondered about going away with the caravan for Christmas - a lot of people are doing it now - but we had such a fantastic time in Spain last year we're doing that again.

I'm sorry to say this is my worst time of year (both my parents died fairly recently around Christmas time) so the further away I am the better. We still do pressies for the wee one but there will be no big bird in the oven for me - thank goodness - I get really stressed when entertaining!