I wonder if theres a chicube forum where they are all saying "Those Eglus are OK but I'll stick with my chicube" :wink:

I'm sure there will be :D - and then there will always be the other forums muttering 'more money than sense' about both lots :lol:

:shock:

I don't have an eglu but would much rather get one than a chicube :D

I like the way they show inside the small one, it says 'designed for 3 chickens'. They have a pic with a trio in...

IMGP2692.JPG

Put 3 of the smallest LF breeds in (hamburgs) :roll: They are nearly half the size of a large hybrid!

Oh well :roll:

Tom

well I am really going to put a spanner in the works and horrify you all ....

I sold both my cubes and bought a chicube :shock: . The cubes really weren't suitable for me anymore. all 14 girls were insisting on piling into 1, resulting in feather pecking as they all jostled for position. No matter how often I would go out at night and split them up, they would promptly get up and go back to sleeping all in the one cube. It simply wasn't working. I didn't want a wooden house and I didn't want to have to downsize. Chicubes customer service is second to none and I think Omlet could learn a thing or two in that respect (like answering emails). We went to have a look at one in Essex. they are really well constructed and look much better 'in the flesh'. There is nowhere for red mite to live, despite what some of you may think about the construction. They are very well insulated and the company actually produce kennels for police dogs from the same stuff. It is extremely waterproof, durable and insulated. They stay just as warm / cool as the cube does. And because they have a smooth surface they are very easy to clean - unlike the slightly pitted surface of the eglu / cube. I use seed trays in mine as nest boxes / poo trays. The chooks love it and sleep nicely spaced out. Mine is actually a 'bespoke' model... they didn't have exactly what I wanted in their designs so we designed our own - basically larger with more doors, so I can continue to poo pick daily and access the eggs easily, and 2 separated nest box areas either side of the sleeping compartments. This wasn't in the slightest bit a problem for them and they were more than willing to do so. They can provide different colours but it would have taken longer and the welfare of my girls was paramount. They also deliver and put together your house no matter where you live in the country. We are hours away from them. Their delivery charge? £20. Oh and yes, I know that they have wooden bars, but don't forget, so did the Omlet houses for many years. These are much more sturdy though - no manky wood badly stapled together that falls apart. These have large solid bars, that have been glued and screwed together.

If I hadn't expanded to 14 hens, the cube would have remained ideal, but the chicube is much more suitable for my needs, without having to resort to a wooden house and all the maintenance involved. I still have my Eglu and won't be selling that for anything.

I trust I won;t now become an outcast from the forum for daring to do such a treasonous thing! LOL!

It's really interesting to hear from someone who has one, I've only seen the pics (they did have a stand at Grand Designs, but as I was wearing my Omlet t-shirt I didn't like to go and look at them!).

The customer service element sounds fantastic, especially the bespoke design and the delivery-and-assembly.

I'm afraid I couldn't fancy having that egg in my garden though! :wink:

Will get some photos for you all tomorrow don't worry! It is wired up to the front of the walk in run. I wanted it in red but that was going to take quite a while. I'm not sure the photos will do it justice, but the door is always open for visits and a slice of cake!

I was worried mine would look like a chest freezer (really worried!) but actually it is fine. It is a very large oblong shape with a sloping roof. It is very heavy and hubby made the dimensions a bit big for me so I now require a bit of assistance with the cleaning ... shame :lol:. Shame! I would have been able to manage a slightly smaller one much easier but then that is because I am only 5ft - and hubby always does things a bit OTT. Still, the girls have soooooooo much room :D and are laying like little troopers.... when they are not being broody of course

Meanwhile... that egg version .... :shock::?:talk2hand::vom::eh: . It really is very wrong!

I loved their wooden ones but just not practical - defeated the object of an easy clean, easy maintenance house

There is nowhere for red mite to live, despite what some of you may think about the construction.

I trust I won;t now become an outcast from the forum for daring to do such a treasonous thing! LOL!

Redfrock, as my Pepperpots suffered from the terrible red mite, how can you say that there is no red mite to live in your chooks' house?

Well I have to say I love the ones on stilts :mrgreen: I need a run though for my young chicks, and I think the runs look awful - very sturdy and safe - but ugly. Maybe when I get replacement birds the old girls could go into a house on stilts and the new ones could have my Bow-coop. Oops - planning more birds already - not a good sign.... :shameonu:

There is nowhere for red mite to live, despite what some of you may think about the construction.

Redfrock, as my Pepperpots suffered from the terrible red mite, how can you say that there is no red mite to live in your chooks' house?

I am referring to a previous thread where people were talking about the construction of the panels and what they were made form - they are sealed panels. Also there are not the nooks and crannies that the Cube has nor are there the moulding holes that have the little white fluffy bits poked in them.