Doris 12

Red mite help & experience - post all red mite issues here

Prevention is definitely better than cure. At risk of tempting fate, I've had one minor outbreak in over six years and that was in my first year when I knew no better, and nor did my house-sitter while I was away on holiday. I nuked the wooden house it was in twice, a week apart, and that was that. No bonfire required. :wink:

Nowadays I have seven wooden houses (don't ask lol!!) and I use red mite powder reguarly on and under the aubiose and I do a spot check every couple of days when I'm cleaning them out. I use Poultry Shield a couple of times a year when they get a really good clean. Lots of poultry keepers swear by the original creosote once or twice a year to frazzle the little blighters, but I never have as I can't stand the smell of the stuff.

I can't speak for Eglus or Cubes as I've never had one (or even seen one in the flesh), but from a wooden house perspective, I do know that if you keep your eyes peeled for the first signs, it's much easier to sort than discovering you have a major problem.

I can't find any evidence of this product having the necessary veterinary marketing authorisation to class it as a legitimate medicine so any claims that is makes to 'treat' anything will be unsubstantiated and therefore technically against the current veterinary regulations. Of course if anyone has a bottle and it is marked with a 'vm' number then it is OK but I would have my doubts.

It must be the season, I have discovered an infestation in my cube this morning. That is despite a major jet wash clean only 10 days ago, including jet washing the pen and all the slabs and complete new Aubiose.

I wondered why my birds were sleeping on their roosting bars and the nesting box was so clean! I thought I'd got them trained nicely not to use the nesting box to sleep!!

I have spent an hour jet washing every crevice and to my dismay, when I sprayed with poultry shield. it was turning green so there were millions I couldn't see.

I have dusted with diatom, everywhere, I feel as though I am crawling with them myself now!

They must have been hiding, as I have had a drop in egg production over the last 2 weeks, only 3 or 4 a day from 7 hens, but 7 yesterday!

No, they were under the poo trays too. I'd pulled them out to empty and though what's that, is it liquid poo that has escaped somehow? It looked like a smear of something black.

On further investigation, my heart dropped when I realised some of it was red dots, the more I looked, the more I found. I can't believe they spread so fast from a very clean cube! I do hope that have got it under control.

Even after cleaning, leaving to dry and then spraying with poultry shield, neat, I am nervous!

Thanks Claret, I will. I am having an operation on my hand next week though, with 10 stitches!

Did I go OTT using a whole tub - 550gm of Diatom?? Off to Titmuss for a 5kg tub of it now. They also sell ex bat pellets really cheaply, £10.29 a bag!

Redwing, yes, I sprayed poultry shield in them couldn't believe the 'green river' that flowed out

Thank you to everyone for all the tips on here.

I have the leaflet :D .

... should be diluted at the rate of 1 part concentrate to 10 parts clean water.

The new Ready to Use 1 litre bottles do not need diluting.

The ready diluted version works out waaaaaaay more expensive than the dilutable in the long run.