Oldessexbird

Water trapped in eglu cover

Hi I have just acquired a second hand (green eglu) and water is trapped in the cover. It was in a frightful state and I can only assume the previous owner had left the unit dismantled with the hood upsidedown and rain water has entered through the small hole moulding hole on hood.

Does anyone have any ideas how to release the water. :?:

Hi, my 2nd hand one is the same. It is in great condition but has water in the base not the top. i assume I can drill into the base and reseal. It doesn't seem to affect the actual thing but could go manky after a while. I think it has got in around the hole in the nesting box and there is a join there. I just can't get it at the right angle for it to come out of that bit again.

I have thought long and hard about this as I am sooo reluctant to drill into the cover (green eglu) and risk making a crevice for red mites or other nasties.

So I thought about my old school science lessons .....not sure what the process is called...I never listened much in class :shameonu: ... but, cor blimey it works :clap:

Heres what I did.....I turned the lid upside down and placed in on the garden table. I pushed a long piece of cotton string well into the hole and into the reservoir of water. I then trailed the string into a cup on the floor and waited. :whistle:

Hey presto the string began to draw the water from the inside of the lid, down the string and dripped into the cup below :dance:

Takes a while but its worth it....now all I need is my PPGNR

I so want to apologise to my old science teacher :oops:

Edited by Guest

Two yers ago I had the very same problem with water collecting in the eglu cover and the egg port door. I had only had it a few months and I had bought it from new. I took the advice of a fellow forum member and drilled a couple of really small holes in the lowest points. I was worried about nasties getting in but there hasn't been any problem at all. Maybe redmite don't like swimming :!:

I didn't seal the holes up as I couldn't work out where the water was getting in. I just leave it to drain constantly.

I know this is a really really old thread but it came up as I was searching the net to see if others had this problem. So, water in the eglu classic lid and some in the egg door too. 

Did the same as others and found the lowest points and drilled a hole in each to drain the water. 

Egg door drained fine, the lid? 

It started to drain but then suddenly stopped, you can see why below :-( And yes, it was alive!

49738058751_f7397ff41c_b.jpgIMG_3069 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr