The Dogmother

What is your favourite quote? Share HERE!!

Another that is rather kitsch and clichéed, but which always rings true to me is as follows:

"If you love something, let it go.

If it returns, it's yours.

If it doesn't, it never was"

I like 'If it doesn't, get a gun, hunt it down and shoot it' :lol:

This is one of my faves from Terry Pratchett-

'Miss Tick sniffed. "You could say this advice is priceless," she said. "Are you listening?"

"Yes," said Tiffany.

"Good. Now...if you trust in yourself..."

"Yes?"

"...and believe in your dreams..."

"Yes?"

"...and follow your star..." Miss Tick went on.

"Yes?"

"...you'll still get beaten by people who spent their their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Good-bye."'

" I thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only somebody with a torch bringing more work"

Sums up my job at the moment.

And my particular favourite which I have stuck on my computer at work which is attributed to some Roman general whose name I can't remember but Major Bloodnock undoubtedly will...

"Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill"

Frightens off new starters a treat. :twisted:

" I thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only somebody with a torch bringing more work"

Alternatively:

• Sadly, the light at the end of the tunnel turned out to be an oncoming train.
  • We regret to announce that, for reasons of economy, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

And my particular favourite which I have stuck on my computer at work which is attributed to some Roman general whose name I can't remember but Major Bloodnock undoubtedly will...

"Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill"

I'd love to help, but I'm afraid I can't. Nor can a bit of Googling come up with a definitive answer, since many attribute it to that famous and prolific author of quotes called "anonymous"....

:D What a lovely idea for a topic, Angel pie.

Some great quotes so far, although it's interesting that 2 are opposites;

Beckyboo; Better to regret what you've done rather than what you haven't

Egluntyne; Better to wish that you had than to wish that you hadn't.

:?:lol:

My favourite is "Accentuate the positive". :D:D

:D What a lovely idea for a topic, Angel pie.

Some great quotes so far, although it's interesting that 2 are opposites;

Beckyboo; Better to regret what you've done rather than what you haven't

Egluntyne; Better to wish that you had than to wish that you hadn't.

:?:lol:

My favourite is "Accentuate the positive". :D:D

Agreed. It's an interesting insight into people's characters. Personally, I see things more from BB's perspective.

Alternative ways of saying the same thing:

• Rather be damned for action than inaction (a perhaps inaccurate quote (my memory isn't what it was) from Hornblower and the Atropos by C S Forester)
  • Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all (Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam)

And now another quote, this time where a slight misquoting seems to work better than the original.

"I burn my candle at both ends

It may not last through the night

It makes the wick burn twice as quick

But it gives such a wonderful light" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

Also,

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Although I think Marcus forgot to add

a chilled glass of Sancerre

and a chicken

Only the one?? That's cruel surely!! :lol:

(But I guess that would apply to the one glass of wine as well.. :oops::oops: )

And there is always "If at first you don't succeed, try try try again..." Or various other versions of. Don't think I have seen it on this thread yet!

:lol: Some great quotes! I've been racking my brain (what's left of it :? ) to think of one that I particularly like, and I've just spotted this Edward Monkton one:

"Beware the deadly donkey falling slowly from the sky, you can choose the way you LIVE my friend, but not the way you DIE"

I think it's quite profound 8)

another of mine is "C'est le vie" normally at YS when hes switched to moan mode :shameonu:[/quot

That one has become somewhat corrupted in our house to C'est Lavvy..ie it's all poo!!

One I particularly like (and Mark Twain will now spin in his grave whilst I misquote him) is

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”

I shall steal this one from Joojoo (I hope you don't mind!)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOW what a ride!'

Brilliant!

I shall steal this one from Joojoo (I hope you don't mind!)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOW what a ride!'

Brilliant!

Love it :D Have heard it before but it never fails to make me smile :wink: