BeckyBoo

Allergy advice please

Well, having basically the consitution of an ox I appear to be having an allergic reaction to some face cream. Was given a pot of allegedly all natural face cream and put it on two days ago and it was fine, used it again this morning and over the course of the day have basically developed a nasty rash under one eye which extends down both sides of my neck. It seems to be a contact allergy, in other words it's only where I put it. It got so uncomfortable earlier I actually bought anti-histamines and took one (they're one a day) and I NEVER take drugs if I can help it so it must be bad. That alleviated it for a couple of hours but it's really uncomfortable again, hot and bumpy (really attractive! :roll: ) although apparently "Ooops, word censored!"ody noticed it until I said anything (maybe I always look this bad :lol: )

Any advice? If it's still there in the morning I'll take another pill, but how long should it last? The only other time I've ever had anything like it was when I was pregnant and reacted to some bath stuff - that was a hospital trip as it became so red and painful.

I'm off to put cucumber on it just to cool it down, I shall look like a beetroot crossed with a pizza at this rate! :roll:

BeckyBoo

I am allergic to mozzie bites - they soon grow huge and hot, so the other day (how it got where it did I don't know :shock: ) but took 2 antihistamines. Completely forgot I'd taken two and wondered why I was yawning all day. The swelling went down and I had the best night's sleep in ages. When my hayfever is really bad I have taken one in the morning and one at night without any ill effect (that I know of!), sometimes I used to do that for a couple of weeks until my nose settled again - they do dry your mouth, so don't forget to drink plenty of liquids - whatever you prefer. But as soon as things are normal I don't take any more. You could always ask your doctor - I think it will be fine because I was told to take 2 a day when was covered with hives (er eating too many raspberries in the garden one year), which is the only reason I take more than one when necessary.

I've lost my book with all the christmas chaos, but essntial oils in the are very soothing. Loads of info on the web. Dream Cream from Lush is brilliant for all sorts of sore skin. By the way I shove essential oils on my face every day and I'm sure it helps hold back the effects of cold weather. Blend them in jojoba oil and good quality avocado oil.

Could it be an essential oil in the cream you are having a reaction to? I don't know what brand the cream is you have used but some of the 'all natural' products have quite a few essential oils in - perhaps one you have not used before which is proving troublesome?

Something plain as plain can be on your skin is all I can suggest.

I just use sweet almond oil on my face & haven't **touches wood** had any reactions since I started using it.........I get reactions, burny like you describe, with lots of skin preps which previously I was fine with. In theory the recipe can't change in sweet almond oil :roll: Only thing I have noticed is the odd breakout of spots at certain times, though that's no real difference from before, I s'pose I notice them more because I don't have other reactions to distract from them :roll:

Oh an tissue off the excess before you go out unless you like the oil slick look :wink::lol:

Sha x

The only thing I could suggest is put a cold flannel on your face.

I had a reaction to a Max Factor blue face mask years ago. Everywhere the face mask touched was bright red and on fire, I looked like a beetroot :oops: It took two hours of cold flannel compresses to calm my face down to a more acceptable pink, then overnight to return to my usual deathly pallor :D

Sorry to hear about your reaction. I'm a delicate little flower and often get allergic reactions to cosmetics and creams.

my advice is to not do/use anything for a day or two, and when it begins to settle use a cream that you know you're safe with to sooth it and make your face feel soft again. Unfortunately there is nothing worse than the rough feeling you get after a reaction. If you get a really dry patch you could try a little dab of vaseline.

Once you stop using whatever set it off, it does settle very quickly - so you should be OK well in time for Christmas.

Happy Christmas

if the reaction is settling then leave it alone, if not then see your GP or nurse practitioner,

Yes, second that advice. Let it settle on its own, if you can. Just because something is natural doesn't mean you can't be allergic to it - particularly essential oils, or even the carrier oil that the cream is made from.

The cream should carry a list of ingredients by law - if it doesn't, you should contact the manufacturer and ask for a list of ingredients. That way you might be able to track down the ingredient that you are allergic to.

thanks guys, I'm better today although my skin has the texture of leather! :roll: Under my eyes is puffy (so I look a bit like the Grinch :lol: !!) but I've taken two anti histamines today and it's not hurting any more thank goodness. Not putting ANYTHING on it today so everyone is having to look at my unmade-up face which is not pleasant but I'm going to avoid those particular products until at least after Christmas then I'll do a patch test behind my ear as that reacted too.

Hopefully I'll be less Grinch-like by the 25th!

BeckyBoo