Lesley

Diagnosis at last!!

........and...... a broken bone in the wrist on Sunday night - and another few hours at Warwick A&E. The radiologist refused to do any of the 10 X rays that A&E wanted so they had to go on pain levels - the fact that Lauren has kept the splint on indicates a break.

Today has been positive and informative :D - the appointment at Birmingham Children's Hospital re the suspected POTS (dizziness, headaches and fainting) revealed that Lauren has a form of migraine called BPPV.......

http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/bppv/bppv.html. She has been referred to ENT for Epley and Semont manoeuvres, it's all to do with some 'crystals' in the inner ear which are out of alignment. She has medication to take for 3 days to see if it helps and if so she can keep some ready for when the dizziness is bad.

The consultant confirmed that the dizziness would account for some of the injuries - as we thought, sometimes she momentarily faints, falls and dislocates or injures herself and other times her joints dislocate and she falls.

Just ENT and the GOSH appointments to go and then all the problems will have been assessed and dealt with. The problems will always be there but the diagnoses mean we can help sort out the best way forward each time.

Edited by Guest

What a shame about Lauren's wrist injury. It does sound that overall, she is now getting the diagnosis and treatment that she needs, which is a good thing, but best wishes for a speedy rocovery and an injury free time.

Her dizziness diagnosis is interesting, because ED has a friend who suffers from persisitent headaches and dizziness. she has had various tests, but I might point her mum in the direction of the information link, thanks.

.....and another night spent at A&E last night :? , she has dislocated her thumb on the other hand. The nurse on treage was the same one she saw last week and she fast-tracked them through X-ray and my daughter was able to drive over, get Lauren sorted and drive back all within 2 hours - that must be a record! Both hands are now in splints - she still manages the Internet School, it's proving to be a godsend.

My daughter has spoken to the OT and she is going to make some splints for Lauren to wear at nights - it's happening as she drops off to sleep and turns over in bed.

As soon as Lauren is out of the splints on both hands this time she has to have an immediate appointment to have the moulds made before she does it again :D

Hi There

Sorry to hear about Laurens latest.

I had a brill splint moulded for my thumb/wrists which I had to wear at night to stop me popping out. She is very similar to me it sounds as most of my dislocations happen when I am asleep resulting in a painfull awakening!

The splint was also great as I could remove it to eat etc & most important to do my physio to get me moving my thumb in the correct way to prevent more dislocations. Its been a long haul but my thumbs both stay in place pretty much now & are loads less painful.

Glad to see that our 2 girls have started chatting on line a bit, hope it helps Lauren.

Keep smiling.

Take care

Penelope.

Poor Lauren!

Hope the splits help - sounds as if the local hosp are starting to make better steps too :D

Must be really hard (for all of you) for it to keep happening, esp after the time where there was a lot of positive news.

Glad the Internet School is still working out well for her aswell 8)

Lauren was back at Birmingham Children's Hosp. yesterday and had the Epley Manoeuvre for the BPPV.

They first move the head to reproduce what happens and to confirm the diagnosis and then they perform the manoeuvre. She has one ear worse than the other and will have to go back sometime. She has to sleep sitting up for a few weeks and can't lie flat. The main problem with that is that she's broken her brace (again :roll: ) and needs to see the orthodontist.........not sure what's going to happen there!

She's off to GOSH on the 22nd for her three week intensive physio.

Shhhh....No injuries for a couple of weeks :shh:

.....She's off to GOSH on the 22nd for her three week intensive physio.....]

Any news from GOSH, Lesley?

I've been thinking of Lauren, and all the family, this week.

I'm imagining that the physio regime will be painful, but does she feel she's in the right place and making useful progress?

So, first week out of three, I'd love to hear an update, if you're able.