Fizzle Knit

How much on weekly shop?

About £150 per week for four of us. All in.

Same here for us, bearing in mind my children are teens who eat like adults now :roll::lol:

I would agree, a normal weekly shop costs me between £90.00 to £110.00 per week including toiletries, cleaning materials, and 4 bottles of wine (usually on offer).

Add to this a meal out or a takeaway most Saturday evenings.

A further expense would be buying 2 newspapers everyday (national and local paper) and the weekly bill is probably close to £150.00.

2x Adults and the Brat (aged 17).

We are veggie but I still reckon on spending £60 - £80 per week on food, wine cleaning stuff etc for us and one teen-aged son (most of the time - occasionally also feeding student daughter...she seems to make up in the holidays for all those meals she missed term time and the food bill goes up by a disproportionate amount :lol: )...

I stopped doing a big weekly shop because I found I was overbuying...so now we do an internet shop for heavy stuff once a month...wine, fruit juices, tinned pulses, washing powder, etc etc, and I then pick up veg and other fresh stuff as and when I need it.. I still think I am spending quite a lot and I intend to grow many more veggies this year ( although that of course has other costs!!) I also intend to record what I am spending in an effort to cut back a bit... I did try just using washing soda but all our clothes became uniformly grey, and I have to confess I crumbled and went back to washing powder ( but I have absolutely no brand loyalty whatsoever and buy whichever is cheapest)

Our alcohol bill is definitely too high :oops: , and also my OH has a taste for "snacks" like twiglets and hummous etc, but he is going on a diet ( he doesn't know that yet :lol:)

So the New Year will see us reformed and trim....and wealthier...well a girl can dream can't she?

We spend about £130 a week for 3.5 adults (this includes veg & salad for the rabbits, tortoises & chickens). The 0.5 is my mum who eats here once or twice during the week and every weekend. :)

We could probably be alot more frugal if we planned more but we work full time and quite often one of us ends up grabbing something for dinner on the way home because we forgot to get it out of the freezer in the morning :roll:

our weekly shop is about £80-£100 depending on whether things that cost a few more pounds need replacing that week. and then I buy fresh rolls as and when I need them through the week, plus we get a take away if we feel like it. ;) although I have banned take aways now with them only being allowed a max of once a month, ;) a treat.

We are a house of two adults and a 12 and 14 year old but the 12 year old has hollow legs.

An expensive shop for me is around the £110 mark. My shop is usually between £50 to £70. That's for me, DH and DD's aged 17 and 19 who both have adult sized appetites. I do stock up on Ecover and Method products when Ocado has offers on plus use Home Bargains and B & M's for loo rolls etc so definately save money there. My biggest money saver though has been swapping over to Ocado as I can no longer impulse buy.

We are two adults and a one year old (next week).

I do one big shopping once a week at Tesco for about £60. When nappies are needed than it jumps up a bit (but using washables keeps the cost down and environment happy). As we eat loads of home-made food as veg, pasta, rice and soups, these are all fairly cheep. I agree, the meat part is the expensive one.

Mind you, hubby mainly eats lunches at work and we tend to have a weekly takeaway for about £12 :drool:

So overall I reckon at home we spend about £80-£90 a week on food + nappies.

As a family of three with a 10 year old we spend around £60 a week, with no top-ups as we do one weekly shop. We do buy some stuff in bulk from Costco. From now on we've decided to go back to shopping online, even though our supermarket is only just down the road. As i don't drive, shopping is a family outing which none of us enjoy so it's time to let the mouse take the strain (the computer mouse that is, i certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for the cruel exploitation of rodents).

My biggest money saver though has been swapping over to Ocado as I can no longer impulse buy.

Yes, I agree! The only things I buy other than Ocado is fresh milk from the local shop and potatoes from the farm where I get the Hemcore for the chickens (when I haven't got potatoes of my own). It does stop impulse buying as you have to plan what you need a while in advance.

I have to admit I have ordered my shop online with tesco and it's come out cheaper (I know you dont like tesco) I might try ocado but when I have tried in the past they didn't have any items I was looking for. :roll:

The order I have placed with tescos saved me a small fortune becuase I am terrible at picking up things. :lol:

I thought it would be handy considering I am off my feet for a while.

Hello...

We spend around £25 a week on food & household shopping for our two adult household ... this includes pretty much anything which comes from the supermarket and our lunches for work too. We buy no ready meals and eat very little meat which keeps the costs down a lot but we do have fish a few nights a week (fresh and tinned varieties!). I also keep an eye out for the reduced shelf life reduced stuff as it's always eaten pretty much straight away anyway. :lol:

Cat food is about £10 a month and I reckon the chickens cost less even including some treats... no-one is lacking anything for sure! This doesn't include toiletries and what have you.. we each buy the things we like and don't tend to buy from supermarkets, but does include cleaning stuff, washing powder and other such dreary household items.

We're not particularly worried about keeping costs down on food, but I find that careful shopping and crafty meal preparation keeps the spend down and leaves more money to spend on the fun stuff (shoes, bags, car etc!) ... I'm truly scared when I see some people in the supermarket shelling out £100+ for a trolley load of rubbish - no fresh fruit, no veg, just cardboard boxes of processed food! Each to their own :?

Good Luck with the shopping budget!

Paula

We spend an average of £120 per week for 2 adults, a hollow legged 12 year old, a grazer of an 11 year old, 2 dogs and 5 chooks. This includes wine, toiletries and the aforementioned dreary household items :lol: such as washing powder. Up until a few months ago, it was about £150 a week but I have managed to slim it a bit. I doubt I could go much less than this though and seriously admire people who do manage it.

I reckon that it's about £50 a week for Rosie and I (she eats as much as me) and Phil at weekends.

That includes a weekly grocery shop from Ocado for the basics, locally produced meat and veg, and feed for the animals, including meat and offal from our local free range butcher for the doglet.

I bake our own bread and cakes and make up all the meals by batch baking at weekends to eat during the week - I work a 40 hour week, so this is the best way to do it. I grow just a few veg in the summer, so we augment with those.

Sounds like we all cut our cloth accordingly on here. :D

fascinating thread :) I'm so nosey! There are 5 of us and our weekly shop ranges from £70-120 a week but I think of £100 as being the normal cost. We get a lot for that because we hardly ever drink alcoholic drinks (no particular reason just don't often fancy it) and I work part time so choose to do baking and making from scratch and doing packed lunches.

I think alcohol, meat. processed foods, individually packed items and big brand names all add a lot to the price. Meat is the only one of those that hits us hard. But even then it's mainly for the Sunday roast which I think is worth spending money on. When I'm needing to save I cook a lot of pasta dishes and make crumbles and cakes so no-one feels hard done by.

I also think that a decent sized freezer saves me lots of money because I can get meat when it is on offer and freeze it and I can put leftovers in the freezer. I also occasionally cook for my in-laws because my f.i.l is on chemo and having a freezer means I can always have portions or homemade pizzas to hand.

Come January I always love a budget style chat - I'm also thinking of a big clear out to recycling and charity shops. Love this time of year :)

Ours was usually around the £100 per week plus assorted bits that run out which sometimes took it to £150 with bulk buying. Since the young master is out most of the time we seem to be cutting back on the amount of food - but the prices are soaring in the shops. Seems we're dooooooomed, dooooooooooomed I tell you. :evil:

hey

We probably spend about £100 for everything which seems like a lot for three people and I've spent about 20 mins thinking about it before i twigged and remembered that i'm lactose intolerant and another member of the house is diabetic. Working it out my substitutes (milk butter yogurt etc) probably add about £15 and the diabetic's stuff probably adds about £10 so that makes a bit more sense. That includes washing stuff and also the food for the cats (blooming things won't eat cheap food) and the ingredients for the dogs' food we cook that ourselves but not the chooks that comes out of a separate budget.

Beth

Working it out my substitutes (milk butter yogurt etc) probably add about £15 and the diabetic's stuff probably adds about £10 so that makes a bit more sense.

Beth

Any kind of special diet does tend to put the cost up a lot. Even if in my case it is just eating more!

And our cats won't eat anything cheap either - it's a waste of money to try.

no idea, OH does the shopping, goodness knows how much he spends judging buy the bags of stuff he comes home with, I grow a lot of fruit & veg & of course eggs, but he is a bit of a chief & makes lovely food but oh dear I dread to think how much it costs. We dont do food waste at all, we use up leftovers, make soups, feed to cats chickens compost & burn anything else - feeling quite saintly now having seen how many rubbish bags my neighbour just put out :whistle: