Kenno

Finally got them!

At last! I've finally got my chickens!

I've ended up with a Cream Legbar, which was always what I wanted, a white silkie that my wife chose, and a 10 month old gingernut ranger who just became my best friend instantly while we were there! I'll post pics once I've stopped taking them! And if I ever go back in the house!

At the moment the gingernut ranger is doing a bit of chasing and pecking so I'm going to try the squirter technique I just saw in another post. My nephew is on his way with a water pistol! The other 2 tend to stick together in the corners for now but they all seem happy enough really.

I want more already!

Aren't they just!

They're in bed now - the gingernut ranger (currently called 'Sweet&Sour'*) was already in the Eglu when I went to check, with the other two waiting outside. I shone a torch into the eglu and the Cream Legbar (currently called 'Goujon'*) headed straight in. Then, after a little bit of pecking around the White Silkie ('BlackBean'*) finally found her way inside and I closed the door.

Hope they're ok. Sweet&Sour was getting very bossy earlier (although the water pistol helped!). I can't wait to let them out in the morning!

Pics will follow shortly.

*all names are under discussion, and awaiting approval and authorisation from my wife!

Is the anti peck stuff worth getting just in case?

It should be ok tbh :) - they're all from the same farm and have all moved into their new home at the same time so no-one has an advantage in the pecking order.

If they do draw blood, try corn flour to stop the bleeding, and gentian violet which hides the blood so the others don't carry on pecking at it (some people just juse blue food colouring).

Well, they're out again! S&S is still trying to be the boss. She's not very keen on them going near 'her' food so I'll have to watch out for that.

None of them seem especially keen on the pellets. Not sure if it's the food and/or the eglu grub that's causing them problems. I've put some pellets out in a bowl which got a bit more attention but they're far more interested in tiny pieces of lettuce from yesterday.

Should I try making a 'mash'?! (recipe required!) or something? Or will they figure it out?

Oh, and still no eggs! It's a travesty!!

I found they don't eat a lot until they come into lay so wouldn't worry. Mash can be whatever you want, I just put hot water in the pellets and add healthy bits but to be honest they wouldn't eat it for first few months and you are making a bit of a rod for your back if you give them treats first thing they'll just start shouting earlier and earlier in the morning for them. :D

Ok. Definitely don't want to go down that road. I'm desperately hoping they're not noisy in the mornings!

S&S seems to have figured out the grub, but not sure about the other two, and I'm worried that they might not risk going near it anyway while S&S is there! Hopefully I'm just being overly worried for no reason!

You might want to put another feeder in temporarily. I have a couple of feeding stations that they can all get to. The bossy ones will protect one so the others eat from the spare - then the bossy ones have to see what the others have and it's so much better than what they have so they zip over and guard that. Meanwhile the other food station is vacant and everyone gets food eventually. :D