Kenno

Finally got them!

You might want to put another feeder in temporarily. I have a couple of feeding stations that they can all get to. The bossy ones will protect one so the others eat from the spare - then the bossy ones have to see what the others have and it's so much better than what they have so they zip over and guard that. Meanwhile the other food station is vacant and everyone gets food eventually. :D

:lol::lol: They have all read the same book I think. They are so funny when they keep glancing around to see if they can keep an eye on all the food dishes. :lol::lol: It's like musical dishes here sometimes. :roll:

I've left another bowl of pellets in the run but they haven't even noticed that! I wonder if they're just not used to pellets? They seem to love them if they find one on the ground but they couldn't be less interested with the grub feeder or the bowl full of them. I hope they're eating enough!

Also, with this pecking order thing, when should I start to worry? Sweet&Sour (might have to change that name!) is definitely in charge and it seems the other two try to keep well out of her way, but occasionally she'll chase them and give them a peck on the back. There's a bit of squawking but I haven't noticed any feathers being picked out yet. Please reassure me that this is all completely normal and that Blackbean and Goujon are ok!

Edited by Guest

I now forgive Sweet&Sour for all the pecking.....

IMG_0838.jpg

She must have laid it just before 4pm. I was so excited! It's not her first ever egg, but it's her first egg here!

Goujon the Cream Legbar seems to like the broom handle. I might have put it up a bit too high for Blackbean the silkie though. Goujon did consider roosting there for the night, but the torch managed to persuade her that the Eglu would be a better option again!

I've witnessed them all eating from the Grub now, and I even checked with the Lady I got them off, and they are used to the pellets, so it's just me worrying!

I still had loooooaaaaads of food left in the grub though - do I throw it out, or can they have it back tomorrow? I chucked it last night, cos I'd attempted a mash (they weren't keen so I assumed I'd done it wrong). Last night I thoroughly cleaned the grub and glug too, but I'm now thinking that might be a bit OTT to do that every day?

What's everybody elses daily routines?

!egg! ! :mrgreen:

Did you do the egg dance? :dance:

I just leave the grub out overnight with the left over food in it, and top it up the next day ... when you fill it up tip it on its side so the same food doesn't always stay in the bottom.

You don't need to clean it everyday :lol: I do it every few weeks, if that ... a lot less often in the summer because it stays dry :) - People recommend putting them in the dishwasher :wink:

I had to wait for my wife to get back from work so I could show off, but then it was straight in the pan! Delicious! Jayne wasn't totally convinced that it tastes better than shop bought eggs but I was!

Just hope S&S sorts her timings out now though cos I want breakfast eggs! I've got a feeling that she might not lay for a little while because of the stress of the move (plus somebody keeps shooting her with a water pistol!).

I'm back to work tomorrow so I won't see much of them til the weekend now, but at least Saturday is FR day! Can't wait.

Hopefully I'll calm down soon and stop worrying about every little detail (no promises though), but until then, thanks everyone for your patience and advice!

And they haven't been shipped, sorted, packed, shipped, shelved and sold - who knows how old those eggs are when they finally get home from the shops. My Physio the other year said that when he was a boy he would steal their eggs whilst still warm and eat them raw! :vom: I am so not trying that one. :lol: