freespiritbutterfly Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 As some of you know I work as a florist and valentines is normally quite busy. Just because i'm nosey (sp) and out of interest is anyone bothering with it this year? I personally dislike it, everywhere you look theres couples smooching yuk lol so is there any romantics out there lol Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 Can't stand it personally. I would rather OH demonstrate he loves and appreciates me because he wants to not because of some arbitrary date. The same for me to him. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 No, I've been married long enough for the weight of the world to crush my spirit I'm off to a chicken show Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 We don't buy cards or presents, I may get the occasional bunch of flowers if OH can be bothered to be romantic (he's inconsistent ) However we do like to go out for a nice meal on Valentines, we like to treat ourselves and as we do not get much time together (he works 14 hour nights) it's nice to sit with a bottle of wine and some good food. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 too commercialised for my liking... anyway OH never knows what day of the week it is normally! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WarrensWorld Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 Personally I'm not worried either way. However February the 5th is my birthday....... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 Not a fan myself. I usually buy a card for OH but that is about it really. I don't really like getting flowers on Valentine's day, I would rather have them as a suprise some other day of the year (and boy really would be a surpise ). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Helly Welly Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 Oh good, i though i was the only one who wasn't bothered. We usually do cards but that's it, who needs one day a year to be romantic. Mind you, one day would be nice Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
miffy Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 well to be honest I do like to give OH a card and I hope to recieve one, but it doesnt always happen. We had our most romantic valentines day just after we got engaged, dinner, flowers and bubbly and a wonderful day. downhill since then.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 well I like it... doesn't mean I get any flowers (most of the time) but I still like it... I have never let hubby buy flowers from florists though as they just bump the prices up and the flowers are of poor quality in my experience (he bought me a huge bouquet once early on in relationship and they didn't last more than a few days so every since then... no no no). He has been told that whenever he feels like buying flowers (valentines or not) to buy from the supermarket... I do buy a card and would be dissapointed if I didn't get one from him, but thats because we have always done this and I would think he'd got another woman or something. We tend to have a meal, at home, but special, together. I hate restaurants at valentines. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 I don't like it. Hubby never realises its that day anyhow. I know I love him,he knows he loves me,so I don't need a piece of pink card or some overpriced blooms to affirm it We do sometimes have something special for supper though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 I will add also that I LOVE home made cards, dont have to be shop bought overpriced cards. I had a body card one year... ahem Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 I had a body card one year... ahem Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 what?????? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sadietoo Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 We always exchange cards but never Valentines cards that's against the rules and sometimes silly gifts - and make a point of having a nice meal together (either out or home cooked) and sharing a bottle of wine.... but we don't do flowers on that day (cos they are too blooming expensive and like you say Cookie Monster they don't last!) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
freespiritbutterfly Posted January 27, 2010 Author Share Posted January 27, 2010 Shame on you cookiemonster telling your other half to buy flowers from a petrol station tut tut and more tut tut's because (admitedly we don't but others may do) our flowers don't get especially bumped up in price just because its valentines, our prices HAVE no choice but to go up because our dutch suppliers put up the prices on all things red and rose. At our florist we try and keep it as low as possible but others that are with interflora are just stupidly priced. We understand people are human and dont have endless supplies of money. Anywho glad i'm not the only one who dislikes it lol Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 nope they always look nice with all the ribbons and frills but when you get all that off theres hardly any flowers... and what you do have only lasts a short while. Not worth it IMO. Sorry to any florist out there.. oooh no not Petrol station, although I dont mind those either, supermarket... supermarket flowers are by far the nicest in quality IMO I feel thouroughly tut'd :lol: Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
freespiritbutterfly Posted January 27, 2010 Author Share Posted January 27, 2010 so you should cookiemonster lol!!! We have had customers from xmas saying they are only just throwing out their flowers from us lol. Personally i think you should all come to us for flowers lol. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 Birmingham's a bit far to send him... he does love me I know this, but even he wont drive to birmingham for a bunch of flowers.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Looney Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 Don't do Valentines Day here but I think it is a lovely thing for folks in the early days of their romance or for someone to let someone else know how they feel. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 I did send Phil a Valentines card before we were together, the whole anonymous job. Even typed it so he wouldn't recognise my handwriting We were very very very good friends, and even went out together on that Valentines day (to see a horror movie, as both single ). He didn't mention the card, but the following day I dropped a Casualty video in to him (as we'd been out the Saturday before and I'd taped it) and he told me about the card, and that he thought he knew who it was from. He guessed right, and we got together That will be 9 years ago on the 15th and we have been married just over 5 years. A while ago, I was tidying the cupboards in his study, and there was the card I sent him all those years ago. So whilst we don't celebrate Valentines day now, he is an old romantic, and frequently buys me thoughtful gifts.... like a new flask for me to take soup to work, or a head torch for going out to the girls, or heated trainer liners for cold football games So I feel loved and appreciated every day. Never had a body card though Cooks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 HE still owes me 3 cards never mind flowers! But our anniversary is the following week so we usually do something then. I mean go out for a meal! Smutty bunch! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 Couldn't care less, there are far more pressing matters, it's my birthday on the 12th And it's his on the 27th He always buys me flowers though for Valentines day and to be honest I'd rather he gave me some weld mesh or a bigger incubator! We don't generally buy each other presents for birthdays & Christmas, I know by now it's pointless dropping hints and that if I want something to buy it myself and he does the same. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 We used to make our own cards when we first got together, ahh cute . But when we got married i was so relieved one year when he apologised as he hadnt had time to make one because neither had I So we've never bothered since. Hes so good most of the time anyway i really dont need a specific date for him to tell me he loves me. So there The last time he got me flowers, they were a huge bunch delivered to the door after a mega huge argument, they were lovely but i dont want any more under those circumstances Who needs cards or flowers when he; buys you a cube then buys you chickens then more chickens then a wooden coop then builds you a huge WIR then more chickens then an eglu then an incubator then...... shall i stop now? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted January 27, 2010 Share Posted January 27, 2010 Have you missed anything? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...