Ladylucan

Fire at home

Two weeks ago we had a fire at our house, which two of my children and i just managed to get out of, ( my other two children were in their cabins asleep)

Thankfully at the time the dogs and puppies ( have got 11) all survived just, but as we are not able to stay at home due to havin work done I think my girls are suffering,!!

I am not there to let them out first thing, so they dont get to get out till about 9ish, then i have to shut them up around 4 when we leave the house, and they are not impressed, and some days they dont get to get out at all.

I notice that my two little bantams and one of my light sussex are being picked on by the rest, and when i try and get them in at night am having a major job as the rest keep frightening them away.

Could this have anything to do with me not being there and them having their routine disrupted.

and do you think that they are suffering because of this?,

I do try and treat them, but it is so hard as i have so much to do indoors at the mo, and though i make sure their food and water is topped up, and i have collected their eggs, i havent cleaned them out for a couple of weeks now.

I feel so guilty not being there for them, do you reckon they do pick up on things like other animals do?,

Thanks all for being a shoulder, xxx

Oh my, Tracey :shock: , sounds like you are having a real time of it, thank goodness you all are safe and escaped the fire .

Were your chickens used to free ranging all of the time before?

My two spend most of the time in the run - apart from about an hour between me getting home from work and it getting dark - but they seem fine....perhaps because they are used to this routine? Perhaps your ladies need to adjust to a new routine for the time being?

I think that so long as you are doing your best, which I am sure you are, then you shouldn't worry. You have a lot to deal with at the moment, but the sooner this is sorted out, the quicker things can (hopefully) return to normality.

xxx

Goodness, Tracey I am so glad you are all safe & well.What a horrible thing for you to go through :shock:

I am not sure what to suggest for your hens.Is it that they are no longer free ranging, or are they confined to the the actual Eglu house for longer than normal.

If it is the Eglu,then you could try putting them to bed with the door ajar,so that they can push it open themselves in the morning & let themselves out.

They won't suffer from this tiny bit of change,you are absolutly doing the best you can in very difficult circumstances.

Please try not to stress about the hens,although I realise how hard it must be.

All the best :D

Tracey - what a terrible thing to happen - lucky that you all managed to escape without harm.

I'd say the same as Sarah - try leaving the door ajar so that they can let themselves out in the morning. If you can angle the Eglu so that wind and rain don't enter too easily, then you can leave the door open all the time. We don't close any of our houses at night - even through this cold weather.

I'm sure they must feel unsettled as well, but hopefully they will adapt soon.

So glad you are all ok Tracey!

Can only add my endorsement to the above: the door, left ajar, would give them the option of getting out and about earlier.

I am sure they will all adapt and be fine. I would imagine you have lots to think and worry about at present, so take care of yourself.

xxx

I'm so glad that you're alright. I know that you sold your eglu in December, so the above suggestions probably aren't very helpful. However do you have a nearby neighbour that wouldn't mind popping over occasionally to let them out and shut them in? Just a thought, neighbours can be quite helpful like that.

Thankyou all for your kind words, it has been hard,and for some reason i have bad days where i get really tearful, but thankfully we had all the electric reconnected back up today, so its looks like another week or two and we can be back in the house and try to get back to normal.

The girls do have a run on their house so they can get in and out but normally i let them free range in their outside pen, they seem to strain to get to the door first and i can see them at the fence looking at me as if to say , 'Look we are here, when are you going to let me out' and they do make me feel so guilty

As for the little ones and the Penny, ( the light sussex) i really dont know what has happened there with them, guess once we get back into routine they will settle back down,

Thankyou all again for your kind words, it means alot.

Tracey xx

Oh, Tracey, I've only just caught up with this, what a horrendous experience for you. I'd have thought that the chickens were the least of your concerns under the circumstances.

I'm only a few miles from you as I'm sure you know, if I can help in any way please give me a shout. (or a PM.... not far, but I might not hear shouts from quite that far down the A2 :lol::lol::lol: ). But I'll gladly help out in any way I can can.............. less commitments next week with 1/2 term and so on :wink:

Take care all of you, thank goodness that you are all safe and well.

I've only just seen this too, and have strong empathy. I lost everything in a house fire too, years ago. Glad you're all ok.

If the hens are still laying, then they're ok, I think. Thay're tough. Mine can be chased by the dog, pinned down and slavered over, and still get up, hide for a bit, then go to bed and lay an egg the next day, and the next, etc.