whitebarrow

Dust bath for chickens

Hi all, I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first chickens (2/3/07!) and am trying to get prepared. Having read that they require a dust bath if they are not free-ranging i'm now at a loss as to where to find the materials. I've read that they require fine wood ash or dry powdery earth. Can anyone recommend places to find this stuff in East Anglia?

Many thanks!

Debbie

:D

I discovered that mine were using a dusty patch down the side of the house, but it was full of builders rubble and glass ( :shock: ) that I didn't know was there until they dug it up. I cleared out all the rubble, added some sand and some red mite powder - and they haven't used it since :(

Now they've dug out a fairly dry and sheltered part of the flower bed where my irises are trying to grow. They completely ignored a bowl of sand in their run. :roll: (other than to eat it) :?

My garden is all decking and concrete so I bought a big square plant container (the resin ones that look like real stone) and throw in sand mixed with red mite powder or diatom - they love it but it gets VERY messy, especially when they decide to shake all the sand back out - sometimes I could do with full breathing apparatus if I'm sat in the garden with them :shock:

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all their advice. I got my first chickens today, and had their bath ready for them. They gathered round and looked at it as though it was the strangest thing they'd ever seen and in the end they seemed to think it was a very nice place to sleep. (Photos on my gallery).

Currently just sand, mixed with topsoil and red-mite powder in a large flower pot but i've asked a friend with an open fire to save some wood ash for me - maybe that will entice them to bathe...

Enjoy your new hens, they look fab and really perky! Be warned, get a comfy chair and a flask, you're going to want to sit and watch them all day!!

As for the dustbathing, mine dig holes in the garden, where it's quite dry under a hedge, but as I'm about to build them a bigger enclosed run, I'm going to try out the cat litter tray idea with some sand in it. I'll let you know how I get on!!