Space Chick

Making a rod for my own back....

:lol:

I think you are fabby and Im glad he has come to his senses.

I have to admit my hubby is a bit spoilt regards food, and I think its kind of expected and I do feel a bit taken for granted at times. As you say "rod for your own back"

He has been known to complain if he ever has to eat ready made stuff.

His idea of cooking would be to order a takeaway.

He did cook for me on mothers day with lots of assistance though which was nice.

Good for you Debs; you're an absolute star. Take him up on that meal out!

I told The Boy (also a Phil) who was indignant on your behalf; he also appreciates good food, and his mother is an excellent cook, but he's hopeless and a total liability in the kitchen for anything that isn't toast-based :roll: We have a pact when he's staying; I cook and he clears up :D

He wouldn't dare criticise me if I didn't make something.... he can't stand the sight of his own blood!

I'm afraid if I did all that you do, and got your h'bands reaction I'd give him a fiver for a chippy and probably do so for a few days just to drive the point home :!:

I'm not so sure he has "come to his senses" I think he's just scared that culinary delights will be with held. I'm afraid I'd be :evil: for just a wee while longer. Axx

Oh dear Debs! Tis something that happens often here - I go on strike. Subtle things like not turning underpants the right way round when they come out of the wash, not match up socks, iron in creases. But the best one by far ever, ever, ever was tabasco sauce in the baked beans. Lots of it. :twisted: But Murray doesn't like helping around the house because "he works". Hahahahahahahahahaha! So I rebel. Which is why there is a lot of dust and nothing gets tidied. He also wants to "enjoy his garden" but all he does is mow the lawn (not necessary out the back because 8 girls are doing a splendid job). So Phil isn't quite as bad yet - at least it sounds like he's had humble pie! :lol:

Just caught up with this and yes I am marvelling at Saint SpaceChick too. Reading it again I wonder why he cant organise his own lunch at least- its not cooking more of an assembly job really, blimey you work full time, care for an eldery relative and loads of other things. I totally understand wanting to show your love through cooking outstanding meals and not using shortcuts, I'm a bit like that myself, but I draw the line at making packed lunches for a fully grown man!

:oops:

Actually, if I'm honest I put my foot down about packed lunches per se years ago. I sat the kids down in front of their lovingly cooked breakfasts and explained that making sandwiches at dawn was against my religion and that school lunches would build character. Life's too short frankly.

Shocked and horrified... :shock:

I hope you are getting the approval you need in other areas of your life. Sounds like a lot of people rely on you.

Surely an apology is not enough? SERIOUS changes are called for and hopefully this will be an opportunity to renegotiate the allocation of essential chores.

I hope you are getting the medical help you need and that you feel better soon.

Very best wishes

.....Surely an apology is not enough? SERIOUS changes are called for and hopefully this will be an opportunity to renegotiate the allocation of essential chores.....

....although in the 5 pages so far, no-one's asked what the current allocation is (admittedly quite rightly, IMHO, since it's none of our business).

It could be that SpaceChick's OH does everything around the house except cook. It could be that he does nothing at all. It could be any part of the spectrum in between. However, unless we know whereabouts on that scale he sits, any opinions on his participation making shakier assumptions than I'd care to rely on.

Admittedly, his initial reaction was rather self-centred, so I'm glad he's come to his senses since.

(BTW, Chunkin, I'm not picking on you; yours was simply the most straightforward post to quote :) )

Actually, if I'm honest I put my foot down about packed lunches per se years ago. I sat the kids down in front of their lovingly cooked breakfasts and explained that making sandwiches at dawn was against my religion and that school lunches would build character. Life's too short frankly.

Actually, there I wholeheartedly agree, current good quality of my son's school dinners notwithstanding. If someone wants a packed lunch, they can make it themselves. If they want me to do it, they make me the time by taking over one of the other things I have to do in the morning. Strangely, no-one takes me up on that.

He wouldn't dare criticise me if I didn't make something.... he can't stand the sight of his own blood!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :lol::lol::lol:

Yayyyyyy! Paola! :clap::dance:

Actually I might have to make a stance like Claret - Murray doesn't like the sight of blood either!

Yes I agree - i had to tolerate school dinners and boy where they bad. YS's are lovingly cooked fresh each morning and he moans that my puddings are not as good as hers. Having seen the school kitchen and used the oven for PTA purposes the woman deserves an OBE MBE and any other "BE" as it is atrociuous. I do packed lunches for OH and ES every so often and hate making sarnies. But I digress. Glad its sorted. Think we should have an Omlet wife swap (not the dodgey kind) I think I would be sent back very quickly - via DHS when Space chicks OH saw what my OH has to put up with :lol:

I think it was more the "You've let me down" and "its your fault I'm like this" that got everyone's goat. Standing in front of an open freezer door and making a comment like that shows a courage and faith in Space Chick's good nature that I find astounding!

I'm sure chores are shared in hers as in most modern households, but it is the expectation and indignation which seems to have prompted the OP. And quite right too..

Just thought I would quickly update you all, as you seem concerned about the state of affairs in Chez SpaceChick :wink:

OH knows he takes me for granted, but then equally I take him for granted too :anxious: When the internet connection went down yesterday, I expected him to drop everything and fix it so I could get back on the forum :lol:

He is a marvellous husband, hence why I said at the start that it was not a husband bashing post. We have "outsourced" some tasks due to our busy work schedules (eg. got a cleaner in a few hours a week and get the ironing done) but the remainder of jobs get shared. However, in all honesty I spend far more time doing the cooking than he spends on his tasks.

We have had a heart to heart, and he has said that it was the surprise at nothing being there, as I am usually so organised. He also said that had he have known earlier in the evening he would have made a loaf of bread or a pan of soup himself. Its just having never been let down in 7 years it came as a bit of a shock :)

He has offered to help more with cooking if I want it. So he is taking over bread duties :wink:

Thanks again for your comments and support. I never expected my rant last week to turn into a 5 page thread :oops: Anyway, just quickly popped on, and must get back to work now :anxious:

Thats good then. It sounds like he realises how well off he has it.

I must admit my mum used to do the majority of the household chores including cooking each night. Both she and dad worked full time. His excuse was that he had to do the 'manly' jobs like decorating and putting the bins out - yeah right! Because thats an equal division of labour :roll:

I used to come back from school and on my mum's day off (she had to work saturdays) she would have completely rearranged entire rooms in the house including shifting large pieces of furniture.

I've said to OH if I get a full time job then we will have to get a cleaner etc as I know it would probably end up the same as mum and dad. :?

Glad to hear that you and Phil have got it sorted Debs, and worked through the problem

I think it was more the "You've let me down" and "its your fault I'm like this" that got everyone's goat. Standing in front of an open freezer door and making a comment like that shows a courage and faith in Space Chick's good nature that I find astounding!

I'm sure chores are shared in hers as in most modern households, but it is the expectation and indignation which seems to have prompted the OP. And quite right too..

I totally agree, in fact I am trying to get Rosie to help again - she seems to have forgotten how to! :roll:

I got fed up with her whining about packed lunches too, so now she eats in the school cafe - reasonably priced and nutritious, less work for me.

Lovely to hear you giggling again Paola :D

As a single mum, who works a 40 hour week, looked after an elderly neighbour until recently, plus all the animals, I have learned what is important. Most of the time I make from scratch - because I enjoy it, but it is batch baking so that I can freeze it ready for when we want it. The odd meal out, takeaway or cheat meal is enjoyed as it means less work. Rosie has two weeks off for easter coming up and I am considering asking her to cook for me :D