ValerieR

Just got my first 3 girls!

I am so chuffed!

I was planning on getting ex-batts but eventually decided now is not the right time for me to do that. SO - yesterday I bought a black pekin called Joyce, a lavender pekin called Janice and a beige serama with paler beige speckles called Sheila. Got them home at about 7pm, they were quite chilled out then took themselves off to bed at 8.45. My DH opened the eglu classic door at 7.30 and they wandered for a while in the run - then ten minutes ago Sheila laid an egg!! :clap: A tiny wee white one. What a thrill!!!

The breeder said they were all going to start laying soon but I cant believe my luck! He said the pekins might grow a wee bit more. They are happy to be stroked already.... they make cute wee cooing noises! Am smitten. :D

Congratulations, and an egg on the first day too :clap: Ive had my four for three weeks now and I am totally addicted, constantly checking for who is laying - my mother in law thinks that it is really sad that I can tell who laid which egg :oops: and trying to convince DH that I need a couple more hens already! Enjoy your girls and have fun :lol:

Yes mine are seperate although all do free range together without incident. The three bantams (2 pekins and 1 dutch) try and get into the big girls coop and run at any opportunity though.

I think mine could well be the exception that could co-exist together - but I'm not willing to try!!

I have been sitting watching them for hours! :D Joyce is already the boss I think. Whatever Sheila the serama is eating, she wants it. And takes it! The cats were goggle-eyed at them for a couple of hours this morning then wandered off for a kip. The first time the girls saw the cats Joyce yelled for a while - the others said nothing.

Does the wee chirrupy noise they make mean they are happy?

Does anyone FR pekins with their own cats present? Or will I have to lock the cats up before I let them out of their run? The cats are used to killing mice and small birds (although one of them managed a sizeable starling last week :( )

Val

One of my cats does the occassional pounce towards them but it is very half hearted and the other one ignores them unless he can get in the eglu for a sleep :doh: My older border terrier takes no notice of them and the little one follows them around with the odd chase but is getting loads better. Good Luck :lol:

Does anyone FR pekins with their own cats present? Or will I have to lock the cats up before I let them out of their run? The cats are used to killing mice and small birds (although one of them managed a sizeable starling last week :( )

Val

My pekins free range nearly all the time with my big girls and i've got 4 cats.All the cats are terrified of them and i've many times seen one of the cats coming up the garden being chased by one of the pekin. I would also add that one of those cats is a siamese and a noted hunter n she runs in utter terror when she sees them.