Redwing Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 Recently I have been suffering from painful heels, considering that I am a very large lady and am on my feet a lot this isnt really surprising On waking this morning I was astonished to discover that I could'nt bear any weight at all I went back to bed for a few hours and tried again, this time I managed to get showered and get downstairs. After some anti-inflamatory painkillers and copious amounts of medicinal strawberry milkshake I am back on my feet albeit painfully - those of you that know me will know I dont stay beaten for long I wear sandals for driving and out and about, the ones I have are pretty inflexible and solid, does anyone have any recommendations of ones that support the feet and are comfortable all day? Its obvious that its my weight causing the problem so I am not going to the doctor over this! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ClaireG Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 I used to have a lot of problems with my knees and ankles also caused by my weight and arthritis. I even used to have orthotics in my shoes but didn't find they helped much. I swear by crocs, i havn't found anything else that are as comfortable and help relieve the pain. They do some sandal styles this is one of them. http://www.jellyegg.com/Crocs/Crocs-Sandals/sc1276/p6512.aspx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 Another vote for Crocs here. I am a big girl too,& find that they are just the most comfy thing. M&S Footglove are good too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 Crocs and also these from Clarks are fab.... http://www.clarks.co.uk/find/department-is-women/enduses-is-casual/product-is-20339642 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 After a back injury a couple of years ago, I crave my crocs and wish I could wear them to work. They support and cushion your feet and I find them the best thing to ease my back. As has been suggested, different styles are available and they don't all look like 'recycled crisp packets' as OH calls them Hope your feet are better soon! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
patsylabrador Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 Have you looked on the Lands end website? I had a quick look and it's got some nice footwear. I had similar pain in my ankle and it was something to do with the Achilles Tendon, I had a little bit of physio and had some exercises to do and it's better now. It took about 9 months to go. I caused it by going for a long walk in very new, very stiff DMs, I won't make that mistake again but your ankle problem might not be weight related so maybe you should get it checked. Actually I remember the physio lady telling me not to wear sandals or floppy slippers. Hope this helps. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 I don't really get any problems with my feet (apart from swollen ankles from time to time). I usually go round barefoot at home, have M&S sandals that are more like shoes with holes in and I have to go for a larger size because my feet are so broad, but the most comfy of all my shoes are my trainers. I got those from an outdoor sports place "Snow and Rock" and had insoles moulded to the shape of my feet. I feel like I'm walking on air in them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
edith Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 I love my fitflops- I've got two pairs now and find them really comfy. On the website they claim to help with various medical conditions too. www.fitflop.com Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickvic Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 Another crocs fan - I'm a large lady as well and spend a fair amount of time on my feet every day. I wear mine to work and they are fabulous! I used to suffer with aching feet at the end of the day but since wearing crocs (for nearly 2 years) I can count on one hand how many times I've had different shoes on. I have a few different colours too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Omletina Kyckling Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 Another Crocs fan. I have arthritis in my feet and find shoes can be uncomfortable but in summer I either wear Crocs or Teva sandals (pretty rugged leather style) - I find all Tevas to be very comfortable. My mum wears Merrel sandals and raves about them but I prefer Tevas. PS hope it eases soon! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blackrocksrock Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 Crocs or merrell sandals here - I am a larger lady too and wear my crocs with an orthotic insole and they are so so comfy with it in and helps the alignment of the feet. I too have arthritis and numb feet at times too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 I was a larger lady and I fell in love with Birkenstocks - they are very supportive with their footbed and I find my crocs were ok but my feet got a bit sweaty in them at times. I've never tried fitflops but I have MBT sandals and they are very good. Fitflops are probably better for larger ladies, as I'm now a smaller lady they don't fit! In a 7 they are to wide and in a 6 too short - go figure! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 Try fitflops, I love them and as I walk around at home a lot I have a pair to wear in the house as slippers. The other thing you can get from the chemist is ibrufroen cream that you can apply directly to your heels. My eldest son plays hockey and that's quite hard on his heels (not sure why) and the doctor recommended the cream. Hope they feel better soon, the only other thing you can do is try and rest them more. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 Rest and Tasha are not too words that go together Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 (edited) I loved my Crocs, had a couple of pairs of Mary Janes but I cannot wear them because they make the skin on my heels crack so much that they'll bleed. I have a few pairs of Clarks 'Active Air' shoes and they're really really comfy and my skin doesn't crack. I've just been on the Clarks website and saw these and I simply must find them in a size 8 somewhere now, I cannot live another day without them http://www.clarks.co.uk/find/department-is-women/size-is-_8/producttype-is-shoes/product-is-20338589 Edited May 2, 2010 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 Rest and Tasha are not too words that go together I'd gathered Which is why I thought it might not have occurred to her Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 Good gosh, just realised I wrote too instead of two I apologise for my shocking misuse of the English Language Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BarbaraJ Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 I can't do plastic shoes unless they are beach flip flops , prefer leather or trainers. These are the most comfy at the moment: www.clarks.co.uk/find/product-is-20319789 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 Interesting, as they are also part of the unstructured range that I linked to earlier Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Torrin Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 Might be worth going to the doctor if it continues Redwing. I also have painful heels, started with one then the other joined in and was so painful i couldn't walk - particularly first thing in the morning. Nurse told me it's called plantar fasciitis and not caused by being overweight - ballet dancers get it - although being as overweight as I am probably doesn't help. Take a look here: http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Plantar-Fasciitis.htm if the symptoms fit you might be able to get referred for some physio. Hopefully - for your sake! - it's not this and will just go away cos I can tell you from experience this can take an AGE to get rid of On the shoe front I generally only wear crocs or well fitted trainers. If i want to go out and wear heels or smart flats I know I'll pay for it the next morning! Interested to see the number of recommendations for fitflops - looked at them before but maybe should try some! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Falkor Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 OH had problems with his ankles/heels so I booked him in the with Chiropractor (used to work there) she "prescribed" Orthotic inserts and he now only has a problem if he doesn`t use the Orthotics He also got crunched and clicked and loved it! Said Chiroprator would also flip flops Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted May 2, 2010 Share Posted May 2, 2010 Said Chiroprator would also flip flops Having got used to fitflops I can't bear to wear flip flops anymore and not have the base of my feet supported. Which probably makes no sense unless you're a fitflops fan Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted May 3, 2010 Share Posted May 3, 2010 I would get it checked out, because it may not be just to do with weight -as a 'traditionally built' lady myself I know the dread of going to the GP for anything and having weight mentioned (what does that have to do with a sore finger? ) but plantar fasciitis immediately occurred to me when I read your post. If you can't face the GP, go and see a chiropodist. I have been going for years and I think if I didn't go regularly, my feet would be in a bad state by now. She has advised me on shoes, and one of the first things I learned was that my feet are wider than average. Most high-street shoes, and sadly some but not all of the Clarks ranges shown above, come in a D fitting only. Worth measuring your feet to find out how wide they are, it sounds daft but I had never realised that this was why I found shoes so uncomfortable, as my feet don't look enormous. See here for how to measure! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted May 3, 2010 Share Posted May 3, 2010 Thanks for the link Olly. The Lady in Clarks was right, I do have Hobbit feet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted May 3, 2010 Share Posted May 3, 2010 You could do something about the hairy toes, though Christian - have you considered waxing? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...