PurpleTree

Breech Baby Advice

Moxa is excellent and may well work. Birthing naturally should be absolutely fine too, particularly as it is not your first baby. My friend had a surprise breech home birth - at 9lb12oz!!!

The key with a breech birth is LEAVE IT ALONE and if possible don't let the doctors near you! Ask to speak to a Supervisor Of Midwives who will support your decision and maybe even agree to be with you for the birth. In my Trust if there is a woman who requests this an email gets sent round asking midwives to volunteer to care for her. It's quite effective!

Be aware though that for SOME women a natural birth is NOT the best option. Again a Supervisor will help to support you.

Oh yes, sometimes the little monkeys keep you guessing right up until the birth - they spin!!

Good luck and all my love for a safe and healthy birth x

I have 3. My first was delivered bum first breech as she wasn't able to be turned, she kept flipping back. They only let me go for the breech delivery as they thought she was under 6 lb, she was actually 7lb 3. They let me go 10 days over but I had to agree to an epidural just in case I had to be rushed in if it went wrong. i had 20 people or so (well it seemed that way) in watching as its so unusual!

My second was footling breech they were not happy to leave him to deliver like that so went to have ecv which worked first time and delivered 14 days late

3rd I was convinced she was breech and insisted on extra scans to make sure - she was head first and normal delivery.

If position is bum first I would definitely try to persuade mid wives, change obs consultant too, if footling i wouldn't risk delivery.

Good luck!!

I have 3. My first was delivered bum first breech as she wasn't able to be turned, she kept flipping back. They only let me go for the breech delivery as they thought she was under 6 lb, she was actually 7lb 3. They let me go 10 days over but I had to agree to an epidural just in case I had to be rushed in if it went wrong. i had 20 people or so (well it seemed that way) in watching as its so unusual!

My second was footling breech they were not happy to leave him to deliver like that so went to have ecv which worked first time and delivered 14 days late

3rd I was convinced she was breech and insisted on extra scans to make sure - she was head first and normal delivery.

If position is bum first I would definitely try to persuade mid wives, change obs consultant too, if footling i wouldn't risk delivery.

Good luck!!

Thanks for that. For some reason I've had it in my head that a feet first delivery would be better than a bum first one? Where do their legs go if it's bum first? Around their ears? :anxious:

If it helps mine got smaller (eclduing prem who obviously was tiny) went from 9lb 14 to 8lb 7.5, 4th was smaller again so it doesnt always follow that they get bigger

My first, Daniel was 6lb 4oz (he was breech too, but I had him turned. Then like I said Oliver was 9lb 10. Huge jump! I'm hoping this one will be somewhere in the middle :D

There can be some hip problems if the baby's been in that position for some time. Many hospitals will schedule a follow up hip scan about 6 weeks after birth just to check, though the routine hip examinations that all babies have are pretty good at finding ny problems.

Bum first definately - if the feet come then there is a higher risk of the cord getting caught, although some practitioners say that is not a problem. Unfortunately a lot of the skill delivering breech babies has been lost (due to a certain piece of 'research' that turned out to be incorrect).

If you want really good information, google Mary Cronk. She's one of the leading experts and a wonderful person - I had the privilege of meeting her this year.

My midwife finally phoned me back yesterday teatime (been leaving messages for her since Monday), I filled her in on what's happening, and she couldn't believe the hospital were leaving til 2 days before my due date. She then phoned me again later in the evening, she'd been onto the hospital and spoken to someone senior. They've now booked me in to have baby turned on Tuesday :dance: Still don't know why they didn't book me in for then originally if there was an appointment available :roll:

Feeling a teeny bit happier now, just hope they can turn him with no problems :pray:

I'm still here, my appointment's at 2pm. Just so hoping that baby co-operates and they can turn him easily :pray: Bags are packed and in the car ready, just in case, and I set up the moses basket last night. Eek, starting to feel quite nervous now :anxious:

quick update. They couldn't turn baby there wasn't enough fluid around him, and he was being pretty stubborn. So I'm booked in for a c-section in the morning, I've got to be at the hospital for 8am. Slightly scared :cry: Will be glad when it's all over.