H

Our bad news

We feel "Ooops, word censored!" and guilty. our lovely hens only arrived two and a half weeks ago, we forgot to put them in untill after dark, and went out with a torch to find two piles of feathers. Rosie and Buttercup gone for good. We will replace them on monday and from now on only out of eglu when we are gardening. i thought i was the only one to have this happen but obviously not.

Please don't beat yourself up about this - it can happen very easily especially at this time of year now the clocks have changed and the girls are out for longer and before you know it, it's dark and then you remember the girls are still out. I've done the same thing myself a few times over the past couple of years although I've been fortunate enough to find them up trees etc but lots of other people have lost theirs to foxes - i'm afraid it's one of those things. I hope your new girls settle in well on Monday. Let us know how they are. :wink:

thank you all so much for your kind words. We are fairly lucky as omlet are only 15 miles away. Hopefully they will be able to re stock us asap. exuse silly name, Teddy is my 22 month old. We told him the hens had been eaten by a naughty fox and he said "all gone, dead!". Freddie my 6 year old has been making fox traps all day. Helen.x

Oh that is so sad. I asked my OH to sort the chickens out this evening, while I put the child to bed - bit of a clash of bedtimes just now - he forgot. Have been lucky so far but don't want to keep taking chances.

Enjoy your new girls.

so sorry - someone else on here had exactly the same experience last week. Don't blame yourselves - it could happen at any time, and that's the risk of keeping chickens. Hope your new girls arrrive soon and fill the empty Eglu :(

Today we collected two girlies. A black star freddie named Daisy and a speckled hen Teddy called Rosie Pop. They seem to have settled happily into their eglu.

Thank you every one for your kind words after us looseing Rosie and Buttercup. H x