patsylabrador Posted September 13, 2010 Share Posted September 13, 2010 I only really thought of places like Maccy Ds, and was surprised to hear of drive-through banking, then on Wikipedia I saw this list. Alcohol at a drive-through liquor store Banking services at a drive-through bank Postal services at a drive-through mailbox Coffee at a drive-through coffee shop Dairy products at a drive-through dairy store (notably the Skinner Dairy shops of North-East Florida or Dairy Barn in Long Island) Presciptions at a drive-through pharmacy Food or drink at a drive-through restaurant (typically fast food) Marriage (primarily at special drive-through marriage chapels in Las Vegas in the United States) Funeral home where mourners can drive by and view the remains of their loved ones through windows.[2] Pennsylvania State Representative Kevin P. Murphy installed a drive-through window designed to speed constituent service.[3] Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
C&T Posted September 13, 2010 Share Posted September 13, 2010 Anything to avoid getting out of the car... I mean, you might have to use your legs! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted September 13, 2010 Share Posted September 13, 2010 We have a drive through Starbucks in Cardiff, it's just by the drive through mcdonalds. I very nearly had a sausage and egg muffin and a caramel latte one morning, then I came to my senses!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ClaireG Posted September 13, 2010 Share Posted September 13, 2010 When we went to France there was a drive through bakery near to where we stayed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted September 13, 2010 Share Posted September 13, 2010 I really can't understand the need for them myself Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
majorbloodnock Posted September 13, 2010 Share Posted September 13, 2010 I've known of the existence of drive-through weddings for a while, but it still raises several as yet unanswered questions. How would one decide on such a thing? I mean, the implicit message to the object of one's affections is "I love you from the bottom of my heart; so much, in fact, that I'd like to spend the rest of my life with you and only you. Will you marry me? Oh, and let's kick things off with the quickest, cheapest and tackiest ceremony that the law will allow. By the way, will an 'O' ring from the local plumber do for a ring, or are you going to insist on gold?" How many women would find the above argument compelling? Would the wedding suite become the back seat half a mile down the road? If so, one can imagine the old American cars being vaguely suitable, but it's hardly likely to catch on where there is a preponderance of Fiat 500s, is it? Is it deemed an advantage if the bride's mother can't drive? 9 months later, will the couple shun the hospital delivery rooms in favour of the ambulance? Is there an equivalent drive-through divorce? If so, presumably this will give a whole new level of meaning to the phrase "Sorry, but we've reached the end of the road together". As Alice said, "curiouser and curiouser". Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
..lay a little egg for me Posted September 13, 2010 Share Posted September 13, 2010 I would have thought a drive-through funeral parlour would be not only v tacky but also dangerous...with mourners driving off with tears in their eyes. Though on second thoughts, anyone who chooses that option is probably not the emotional sort... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted September 13, 2010 Share Posted September 13, 2010 I must say that if I did have to have a funeral (I would rather not have one at all), I like the idea of a drive through. I also fancy an Elvis impersonator rather than a priest I have also heard of drive through divorce places,where you can get an instant divorce Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted September 13, 2010 Share Posted September 13, 2010 We've been to a drive-through Subway (sandwich shop ) Coffee shop sounds like a good idea to me, ditto post office to just drop something off or collect a parcel. Theres a drive-though chip shop about half an hour away from us Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted September 13, 2010 Share Posted September 13, 2010 I've known of the existence of drive-through weddings for a while, but it still raises several as yet unanswered questions. How would one decide on such a thing? I mean, the implicit message to the object of one's affections is "I love you from the bottom of my heart; so much, in fact, that I'd like to spend the rest of my life with you and only you. Will you marry me? Oh, and let's kick things off with the quickest, cheapest and tackiest ceremony that the law will allow. How many women would find the above argument compelling? As Alice said, "curiouser and curiouser". Ok, I didnt have a drive through wedding, but I did get married in Vegas, so you could argue Major thar we had a quickest, cheapest and tackiest ceremony that the law will allow. However, we came to the decision that a Vegas wedding - just the two of us, with strangers as witnesses was the right one for us because: * Neither of us like a big fuss* OHs family are always feuding* OUR wedding was about US. The two of us being in love, it wasn't about anyone else!* Both of my parents had passed away, and I couldn't bear a big wedding without my Dad to walk me down the aisle* We could start our honeymoon immediately as we were already on holiday!* The money we saved went towards building an extension - far more practical* It didn't take years of planning and organisation. Not all girls want the Big White Wedding, in fact I got married in purple I have not regretted our wedding choice for a second, although I do rather wish that I had received a £1 for every time someone asked me if Elvis was there Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
majorbloodnock Posted September 13, 2010 Share Posted September 13, 2010 I've known of the existence of drive-through weddings for a while, but it still raises several as yet unanswered questions. How would one decide on such a thing? I mean, the implicit message to the object of one's affections is "I love you from the bottom of my heart; so much, in fact, that I'd like to spend the rest of my life with you and only you. Will you marry me? Oh, and let's kick things off with the quickest, cheapest and tackiest ceremony that the law will allow. How many women would find the above argument compelling? As Alice said, "curiouser and curiouser". Ok, I didnt have a drive through wedding, but I did get married in Vegas, so you could argue Major thar we had a quickest, cheapest and tackiest ceremony that the law will allow. Well, I could try if I wanted to be insulting, but I don't and I doubt it'd be an argument I'd win anyway. I'd hardly call a trip to Las Vegas from the UK a quick or cheap option and I personally think "tacky" has less to do with style and venue than with attitude surrounding it. If I felt my opinion was of any importance here, I'd clear you on all counts, but since I know it isn't, I'll simply refer you to the point you make below; towhit that the wedding is about the couple, and if the ceremony fits then it was the right choice. However, we came to the decision that a Vegas wedding - just the two of us, with strangers as witnesses was the right one for us because: * Neither of us like a big fuss* OHs family are always feuding* OUR wedding was about US. The two of us being in love, it wasn't about anyone else!* Both of my parents had passed away, and I couldn't bear a big wedding without my Dad to walk me down the aisle* We could start our honeymoon immediately as we were already on holiday!* The money we saved went towards building an extension - far more practical* It didn't take years of planning and organisation. Not all girls want the Big White Wedding, in fact I got married in purple I have not regretted our wedding choice for a second, although I do rather wish that I had received a £1 for every time someone asked me if Elvis was there Was Elvis there? (Feel free to PM me your Paypal details......) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted September 13, 2010 Share Posted September 13, 2010 No he wasn't major You owe me a pound Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Goldstar Posted September 14, 2010 Share Posted September 14, 2010 We have a drive through Boots near us for prescriptions but is also open until midnight. Which is very handy when you need Calpol at 11pm and have run out. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
CatieB Posted September 14, 2010 Share Posted September 14, 2010 SPACECHICK and the Major.... I'm another woman who suggested las vegas but my DH wouldn't agree and we married in the snow at the Ice Hotel instead. So Major I think you have to learn that the world is a rich tapestry and everyone is different. What may be tacky to one may be anothers dream - ok it wasn't my dream (just a good excuse to get away from the family) but it maybe somebodies PS good job there is no drive thro Starbucks near me I already spend far too much in them PPS the only times I've ever been to drive thro McD's I've had to park up to wait for them to finish the order.. doesn't that defeat the purpose? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted September 14, 2010 Share Posted September 14, 2010 I'm with the Major on drive through weddings - the bride leans across to yell into the intercom "I do" doesn't sound quite right, although a proper ceremony in a building with or without Elvis or the blokes with those white tigers would be much nicer and memorable. I do like the idea of a drive through divorce though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted September 15, 2010 Share Posted September 15, 2010 The drive thru at the KFC near us hadnt opened to cars but people we walking through it my ES said and buying stuff at the hatch. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
majorbloodnock Posted September 15, 2010 Share Posted September 15, 2010 So Major I think you have to learn that the world is a rich tapestry and everyone is different. Mea culpa, CatieB. I like to hope that the majority of my previous posts to this forum demonstrate that I am pretty broadminded and accepting of others' points of view. However, I do know that the same previous posts demonstrate I'm human and not above inserting foot into mouth. It's fairly obvious now that the point I had foremost in my mind when I was typing my first response to this thread is not what I ended up saying, so I'll apologise and try to clarify here. I don't know how many of you saw an emailed spoof picture a year or two ago of a "Tescos value Valentine's card". Well, there may be some women who'd be pleased to receive one, but it would be a brave husband in my opinion who even tested the water in that regard. Similarly, there obviously must be women for whom drive-through weddings are a perfect answer to their nuptial needs, since they're a going concern in the US. However, I can think of almost no-one who would have risked even asking their fiancee if she fancied such a thing. My point wasn't so much "who would want a wedding like this", but "who would be brave enough to try finding out if their other half would be amenable". Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...