Dizzy-Deb

Ex-bats collected 7/11. Living with other girls & new pics.

I'm sooooo jealous, well done :mrgreen: . I'm still trying to convince my oh to let me have ex-batts again. We lost all three after a year and he's still upset by it. Have two large orps now which are great but have empty wooden ark we ar trying to sell, honest :liar::whistle: . But am trying to get some more ex-batts. Let us know how you get on please, lots of pics.

i love my ex batts ive had them a couple of months now and they are all feathered up with nice fluffy knickers

ive not really had any problems apart from merideath she had a infection in her crop when i got her but a course of antibiotics and shes now fine

i know i shouldnt say this but they are deff my favs lol they are the first out round my feet when im in the garden they seem pleased to see me ,where as my posh girls only come running when i have the corn bucket in my hand lol

Hi everyone,

yes have got them, picked up this morning and left them for a few hours while popped out to settle down a bit from the journey back to my house.

Took a few pics of when they first arrived and they started to have a little scratch about. Plus some later on this afternoon when let my other girls out for a free ranging session.

Not to keep you waiting any longer here they are. One is a lot balder than the other, poor thing. :(

First steps in the run.

P1000930.jpg

P1000931.jpg

P1000933.jpg

Found the food.

P1000935.jpg

P1000936.jpg

First meetings with my other two. :D

P1000937.jpg

P1000938.jpg

P1000939.jpg

P1000940.jpg

Final pics today.

P1000943.jpg

P1000944.jpg

So glad they have found the food and water, and did some scratching about, pecked at some corn put down.

Both girls have laid eggs today, which was suprised about considering all the stress of past few days for them.

Heres hoping they start to put some weight on, feather up a bit and enjoy life now. :D

xx

Just had fun getting them to go to bed. They were still in the run, and couldnt get them to go in the Go. They were making a right racket as understandably spooked by my efforts. :?

Then remembered reading about the torch trick, so popped that in the Go waited... worked a treat... both chookies came to the light. :lol: . Thank goodness for this forum and all the bits of info yoo pick up :clap:

Both all tucked up now for the night, hope they get on with each other. Glad they are inside as think its going to be a real cold night tonight. :D

I was waiting for your pictures but I forgot you were getting your girls today.

Glad they have settled OK. They look in the same sort of condition as my new girls, quite well feathered but very scraggy and scruffy.

Keep us updated. Nicola.

Hi Nicola

sorry they are a bit late. Couldnt get them tomorrow so had to pick up today. :D Its so upsetting to see them in the condition they are. I hope mine and yours too, soon come round, become more confident and strong as each day goes along. Hope your girls are settling in. Will keep in touch as be nice to compare how they all get along.

Are you going to give them anything to help build them up ? xxx

I was waiting for your pictures but I forgot you were getting your girls today.

Glad they have settled OK. They look in the same sort of condition as my new girls, quite well feathered but very scraggy and scruffy.

Keep us updated. Nicola.

Hi Nicola

sorry they are a bit late. Couldnt get them tomorrow so had to pick up today. :D Its so upsetting to see them in the condition they are. I hope mine and yours too, soon come round, become more confident and strong as each day goes along. Hope your girls are settling in. Will keep in touch as be nice to compare how they all get along.

Are you going to give them anything to help build them up ? xxx

Glad you got them to go to bed in the end. I had the opposite problem, when I got them home yesterday I put them straight in the eglu and they wouldn't come out into the run. Even this morning only one ventured out so I had to adopt 'tough love' and shove them out (with 'mad mary' trying to bite my fingers off), shut the door and leave them to it. It took them a couple of hours to find the food - even though they had been sitting next to the grub the whole time :lol: .

I will try to build them up, but I've found through past experience that it can take them a while to start eating other foods. They have a tonic in their water and the ex-bat feed, so that will have to do them for now. In a few days I'll start putting small amounts of things in the run to see if they will eat it.

Nicola

I picked my 6 girls up on Saturday from the same rescue and they dont look too bad. :clap:

A couple of them are rather shy and we have one bossy lady. The one thing that I'm not so sure of is should I feed the ex bat crumb dry or wet?? and if wet how wet?? and should I put the poultry spice in from day one and tonic in water??

Sorry so many questions not sure if I'm doing it right. :oops: will get some pics on tomorrow. I am suprised that Ive had 5 eggs dropped anywhere :o

I love them to bits already! :dance:

Congratulations to you all for giving these girls the life they should have always had :D

It won't be long until they are all feathered up and doing "normal" chicken things. Ex batts have such amazing characters and love to be cuddled....mine used to jump up onto my lap and fall asleep like a cat :D

Am very tempted to get some more......just need to persuade OH. :roll:

Make sure you keep us updated on their progress with lots of pictures.

Congrats on rehoming some ex battery hens. I'm looking forward to hearing how they get on. I signed up with the BHWT yesterday to see if I can rehome some at the next release date. Your post is very encouraging & reassuring!

Hope they enjoy settling in & all the tlc!!

The one thing that I'm not so sure of is should I feed the ex bat crumb dry or wet?? and if wet how wet?? and should I put the poultry spice in from day one and tonic in water??

The ex-bat crumb should be fed dry - it may look unappetising to you but to an ex bat it's a gourmet feast! :lol:

Don't worry too much about going mad with the tonics/poultry spice. The ex bat crumb has lots of added vits and minerals to help the girls recover. When I brought mine home, I fed only the crumb and no added tonics and my girls thrived on it. I would say use one supplement at a time and probably not every day.

Congratulations on the eggs by the way :dance:

Thanks Lavender Blue, I was unsure about that too. I had given it dry to them today but like Ally was not certain.

They seemed to be tucking into it ok as it was.... and had a little peck at a corn ear put in too. :D

I am adding the poulty spice to their food tomorrow as well.

Probably going to give them a mash in the morning for brekkie. My other girls have been getting this for a few weeks and love it so hope the new ones do too. :lol::lol::lol:

One more quick question.. the one girl thats quite bald round her bottom and back I was thinking of purple spraying her more as a prevantative thing ? I havent seen any pecks or injuries (having good look tomorrow) but wondered if would be best to do just in case. ?? xx

Congrats on rehoming some ex battery hens. I'm looking forward to hearing how they get on. I signed up with the BHWT yesterday to see if I can rehome some at the next release date. Your post is very encouraging & reassuring!

Hope they enjoy settling in & all the tlc!!

Hi Gertie

I know its a lot to take on, and only had mine a few hours and it so feels the right thing to do. I would love to have some A1 chickens or pure breeds but to give a few chickens that have lived in such awful conditions a chance however small of some freedom is so worth it. :D

I dont expect an easy ride with them but to think they could have been culled by now and never know scratching about, digging for worms is so awful to think o

That rehoming date coming up very soon with the BHWT, hope you can get some. That spare eglu would come in very handy . :dance: xx

Well done Dizzy Deb :clap: . They are really great and got to agree worth all extra effert.You're girls look great. I love the way EVERYTHING is new to them from grass to sky to worms :lol: Enjoy and please keep us posted. I've given up trying for some more ex-batts now hubby has said a final NO :shameonu:

Thanks Donna, I hope they soon start to enjoy things too.

They havent ventured out the Go yet this morning although hubby opened it up earlier. Think am going to have to try some gentle encouragement in a bit. Poor things just dont realise they have so much space and freedom now, if only could talk to them and explain. xx