Dizzy-Deb

Ex-bats collected 7/11. Living with other girls & new pics.

Hi

its only a consideration at the moment but have been looking at sites that rehome ex-bats and its so pulls at my heart strings. :cry: Its so awful to see the conditions that they get into.

So as said considering maybe next year of putting my name forward to see if could rehome 2 or 3.

I think the biggest question I have is as someone new to chickens keeping, is the taking on of ex-bats more suited to a more experienced keeper ? I appreciate that they are going to come with problems due to how they have been kept.

What do you think?. Please if you think am too new to it all do feel free to say, wont be offended. :D

I know keeping any creature is an on going learning curve, and I hope by scouring this forum and finding out things as I go, I will be more informed.

Welcome your thoughts on this especially from those that have rehomed ex-bats.

Thanks xx

Edited by Guest

Maybe I've just been lucky but I've adopted six ex-batts, still have four of them here with me, and I've had no problems with them whatsoever. Admitedly they've been incredibly weak physically to begin with but they quickly recover from their ordeal. I have a larger than average flock and don't do gradual introductions. The ex-batts spend a few days on their own getting used to the great outdoors before going in with the rest of the flock. I've never had any bullying problems, mine know just to get on with it, and the ex-batts quickly learn their place in society.

Go for it!

I, and several others on here I'm sure, got ex-batts as our first hens - you can't get much more inexperienced than that! They need a bit more TLC to begin with than POL hens but honestly, other than that, they are not much different. One year on, you wouldn't know mine are ex batts, they behave just like normal chickens and they worked it all out themselves (preening, dustbathing, laying eggs in the nestbox rather than just anywhere, catching mice :lol: ).Their instincts are incredibly strong.

They are also very forgiving and become tame very quickly which never ceases to amaze me given their terrible past treatment by humans.

You won't regret getting them, it's wonderful to watch them develop from bald, scraggy, frightened little hens to big, fluffy, welly pecking hooligans! :lol:

I love my ex batts to bits and will choose them again and again in the future.

I agree with Lavender Blue, Go for it! They need a lot of care to start with, our 3 couldn't get up the Cube steps,nor could they perch, we put a spare set of cube bars on a peice of wood 3 inches off the ground so that they could practice. They were very clumsy and frightened of everything - birds flying over, planes, etc. They developed into such loving chickens, and to see them blossom and recover from their terrible lives was wonderful. They are an absolute joy and we love them despite their still being a bit tatty. For some pics take a look at my post back on 22nd April this year titled 'What a difference a week makes ' :) Good Luck :wink:

Hello, all I can say is "go for it"!!!. I had wanted hens for ages, but somehow couldn't "justify it", but having ex-batts seemed the way to deal with that side of it. I've never had chickens before and yes, I worried about them like mad for the first few weeks, but I'm gradually realising (after three months) that they are enjoying their new life and looking back, they adapted very quickly to life on the outside. It has been so rewarding to have them and watch them go from being absolutely terrified of EVERYTHING to being really outgoing, even quite naughty at times (but in a nice way!). I know I've been lucky, I had three to begin with and still have the same three, two lay pretty regularly (almost every day), one doesn't seem to lay anything but the odd softy, but that's fine, the eggs were never really the point of having them anyway. I'd do it again (and again and again and again)!!!

I had 3 ex batts as first chickens and they are fantastic. Although and i may be on my own here, Sadly one collapsed after a year and had to be put to sleep, Then a few months ltr my other two had twisted guts so again after only a year i had to put both to sleep :( . We found this really upsetting :( as we had lovely bond with them all. My oh said he couldn't go through it again so we got orps. Many have them for years so we must have been unlucky but it is something to think about. Sorry to put a dampner on it. I would happily have more as they make great pets.

I got 7 ex batts in May. My 1st ever girls and I dont think I could have posh birds after seeing how my girls change from quivering featherless things to bloshy mad birds racing up & down the garden . During the first few weeks I thought many times little Mavis wouldn't last the night, she is still small but she is one crafty, canny little chicken with the personality to match. None of them will will pretty bird awards but to me the are georgous.

Sage

we re-homed 3 ex-bats from the BHWT as our first ever chickens just 5 months ago, and they had us smitten from day one :angel:

They are also very forgiving and become tame very quickly which never ceases to amaze me given their terrible past treatment by humans.

You won't regret getting them, it's wonderful to watch them develop from bald, scraggy, frightened little hens to big, fluffy, welly pecking hooligans! :lol:

I love my ex batts to bits and will choose them again and again in the future.

what Lavender says about how forgiving they are is also what amazes me about these wonderful girls. they absolutely thrive on human attention, and you will enjoy their company just as much :D .

the most rewarding thing about re-homing ex-bats is watching them blossom into such individual characters, each one crammed full of mischief & love! a perfect mix in my eyes 8) .

i too will choose ex-bats again & again, i can't imagine our garden without a pair of baldy bottoms roaming round it! :lol:

Oh do it!

i have 3 exbatts that i introduced to 5 others

(i only had 2 girls and was going to get 3 ex batts but delays meant that i hadn't heard anything for 3 months so i perchased 3 girls then to find out my email was blocking the BHWT emails. so then addopted another 3 be batts)

they were seperated for a month while they got back their strength and then slowley introduced while FR. no problems after that.

1 ex batt will follow me all over the garden and if i stand still will be between my feet just waiting with me.. so sweet!

1 loves food and wont be picked up but the third loves a cuddle!

Just makes me feel a little better knowing they are at last having a better life!

I would say 'go for it' too! I had never had chickens before I got 4 ex-bats two years ago. I read up loads about chicken keeping generally and then contacted the BHWT - their website has lots of really useful info for first-timers! I also joined a different forum specially for ex-bat owners - hope that's ok to put on here?

I got another 4 last year, but am sadly back down to 4 already :( one of which is from my first group. There's no denying that their unhappy start in life does affect their health - they are literally worn out in the egg laying dept and all mine went with egg peritonitis. That said, they all experienced plenty of treats, love and free-ranging which they wouldn't have had otherwise. I will always have ex-bats over 'posh birds', just because I think they deserve it :)

Hi all

many thanks for all your posts. I appreciate you taking the time to reply, give advice and tell me the tales of your ex-bats.

I have submitted my details today to the BHWT and soon as get chance will speak to one of the co-ordinators so hopefully in future can be considered for some.

Off to look at suitable housing now. :D:D

Just out of interest are there any other organisations who rehome ex-bats? Thanks xx

Thanks for that link. :D

I have just found http://www.henrehomers.net/ too and they have a rehoming on 6th Nov (my birthday :D ) just making enquiries with them, but will be stuck at work on that day and off out to meal on night (cant get out of), so couldnt have until the 7th. Just trying to find out if anyone could hold overnight if was accepted. xx

My ex-batts were my first chickens and I cannot recommend getting them enough. Perhaps i was lucky but I have had no problems and Hermione it still going strong (if a bit slower) almost 25 months on. It is so rewarding to see them do 'normal' chicken things (wreck the lawn, have a bath in the flowerbeds, scare the cats, dig up anything newly planted), it brings tears to my eyes. No self-pitying, they just get on with their (better) lives.

Wooohoooo.... I have been accepted to rehome some from Hen Rehomers. Shrewsbury area. :D:D

Just need to see if can find someone that can get/hold them for me till the 7th though as I cannot make it on the 6th. Just going to contact them see if they can contact the regional organiser and if they can help.

I really want to give some a home, and hope can find a way to do it. Wish me luck xxx

I see that you live in Shropshire - I got my ex-batts from the BHWT volunteer in Ellesmere, Shropshire. My three (and as far as I could tell all of the ex-batts they had for re-homing) were in pretty good nick, with not too many feathers missing, and quite strong legs. Now whether that is always the case in that area I don't know, maybe we were lucky, but this is my first ever experience of owning chickens, and it has been a doddle. We haven't had to give them particularly special care, and they adapted to the environment, the hen house, the run, free ranging, the dog, different food, etc etc, really quickly. They have made delightful pets, and are giving us almost an egg a day each (in fact all our neighbours have had loads of free eggs, as we can't eat them all!). !eggbrown!!eggbrown!!eggbrown!

Quickie update.

Been in touch with them and the regional co-ordinator can keep 2 for me till the Sunday when will have no problems to collect. :dance::dance:

Donation all made. All have to do now is sort out what type hen house/run going to have for them.

Was originally going to part section the WIR off for them... but wondering if need to 'quaranteen' them a bit further away from my two other girls just in case. What do you think.... ??? xx

'Go' all set up now...and just counting the days off. Going to collect them on sunday morning. :D

My existing girls were not impressed with the Go being put together today... bless them. So wonder what they are going to make of some new neighbours. :lol::lol:

Let you know how get on Sunday, and will post some pics if get chance. xx

Hi DD

It's really exciting isn't it. I'm picking up my six ex-bats (also from Hen Rehomers) on Saturday so they are probably going to be from the same farm/rescue - though mine are travelling to kent and I'm collecting them there.

I'm getting really excited now, everything is ready for them - can't wait till Saturday :D .

Nicola.