Pipichick

Frozen Glugs/Water - read and post it here!

Oohhh good thread I bring my water in at night but it is water freezing up during the day that is my problem.

The WIR run is down a long (in winter slippery) drive so I can't really ask neighbours to check the girls water as would worry about them falling over. There is no power to the run and getting power there is not an option. I am reluctant to use candles or any type of naked flame.

The run has a polycarb roof and is in a sheltered spot under a massive yew tree so hopefully that will help keep the run temp above freezing. Given that last winter we hit -20 here then I am concerned about water freezing during the day again, even with drinkers raised off the ground they still froze (last year only had 5 chickens in a smaller run in middle of garden which was exposed on 3 sides).

Having read this thread I think my options are making an insulated box for the water (that will end with me chopping a finger off) or heating some house bricks (probably not practical on a work day as would mean getting up at 4am to put them in the oven) or using some hand/back warmer things.

I have 9 chickens so need 2 drinkers, the drinkers I own are x2 platic tip upside down to fill type, a glug and a super glug and a Savic galvanised bucket (the best drinker in the world IMO).

On a working day I leave the house 8am and sometimes not back until 4pm, I can usually nip home about 1pm to put out fresh water but as I said this was not enough last year. As long as the weather doesn't hit the extremes of last year then should be ok.

It is reassuring to know everyone else has the same problem.

I have a galvanised drinker too and put it on two bricks. A tea light (8 hour one) placed in a jam jar underneath keeps the water from freezing even at -14 last winter. If you angle the bricks into a 'V' shape, against the fence/run, the hens can't get top the candle and it is perfectly safe.

Just had a new walk in run built - the electrician is coming on monday to fit and outside plug (and new fuse box with rcd :roll: ) so that I can use a warming plate when I am away overnight with work. The only solution as I have just moved here and don't know the neighbours that well.

Send them apple bobbing! Last year I too struggled with water freezing during the day and ping pong balls just got frozen in. I thought: "hmm, what would bob about enough to stop the ice forming around it?" and it dawned on me! The chooks love apples so much that I could literally bung a whole one in the glug in the morning and as they pecked at it during the day for a treat it kept on the move, and VOILA! Access to water restored! I shall be doing the same again this winter when it gets cold enough for the water to freeze during the day. I also freshly fill their glug when I take it in at night so it goes out at room temperature. Hope this helps.

Postman said "here's the worms for those chickens living the life of Riley" and gave me the 1 kilo mealworms parcel.

There was a second parcel and I said this is for the chickens too - it's a heater so their water doesn't freeze.

http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/acatalog/Electric_Drinker_Heater.html

Dave the Postman is :mrgreen: of GNR:lol:

Edited by Guest

Hi,

I'm not lucky enough to have electricity by my hen run , but for those that do here is an electric base from Regency Poultry that actually clips on to a plastic drinker bottom to stop the water freezing . It is for the hanging or standing plastic ones where you fill them up & turn them upside down.

By the way , I notice in America there are all sorts of electric heaters , specifically for hen drinkers- WHEN WILL UK MANUFACTURERS GET THEIR FINGER OUT & MAKE US SOME FOR THE UK ????

Rant over!

Here's the link : http://regencypoultry.com/drinkers/PlasticDrinkers/drinker_heater.htm

I wish I had electricity by my Eglu!

Jenny

Well I have to say that I am chuffed to bits with the heated base for my galvanised drinker. Down to -10 and no ice!

It cost me an absolute fortune (well, only £25 for the heated base), with £90 for the outside double plug. Thought that would be it, but electrician said he couldn't fit an outside plug without an RCD in the house. £350 later, the hens are happy and my house is safer! 8):roll::lol:

No more candles - although the electricity bill is due any day now, so maybe I will revert back to them when at home...?

good grief was it really down to minus 10??? I knew it was cold here in thruxton...but had no idea it had got that low

Oh Linda, you have to go to Lidl and get a saddo weather station like me! I have 3 :oops: One for the chicken area, one for the courtyard garden and one for the front. All slightly different readings as the wind comes from different directions, but addictive! Yes, it has been that cold. It was -8 at 10pm last night when I took Milo for a walk!

...which last night was the coldest in England - 18 Brrrrrr :(

I heard that on the radio!

Am so jealous of heated base for drinker !! :mrgreen:

I have already got an RDC in the house ( for when I cut the electric cord on the flymo!) & the wiring all in place - just need OH to fix whatever the problem is as no electricity is reaching chicken run !! :?

Couldn't get the Quality Street tin method to work well so now have a triangle of 6 housebricks, 2 bricks high, with a jamjar in the middle with a long lasting tealight inside. I've put a metal dog bowl on top ( obviously full of water!) & that is working OK - no ice! The hens can't get to the light to hurt themselves & there seems to be enough air circulating to keep the tealight going (I think that was the problem with the Quality Street tin) but the jam jar is stopping the tealight from being blown out!

Success!! :clap:

One thing - normal tealights only last 4 hrs or so - I managed to find 10 hr tealights on Amazon. They worked out at 12p each which I think is pretty good for peace of mind, knowing that ur hens can drink.

just been looking through this thread having seen the forecast for the rest of the week! has anyone seen these and has anyone tried one? :

http://www.britishbirdfood.co.uk/shop/other-accessories/drinking-and-bathing/small-animal-solar-sipper

tempting as we dont have power close to the WIR so would have to go for this or a snugglesafe i think... would be worried about candles near the side of a wooden WIR...

Edited by Guest

yeah, the more i thought about it the more i decided it wouldnt work especially in our garden- the sun at the moment if it does come out gets cut off at a halfway point up the WIR and never hits the ground.

im very tempted by the Eton heater base but with a plastic drinker on top as i cant really afford a galvanised one on top of the heater price. can anyone reassure me this will be effective enough? I will stand it slightly off the ground to help the heat go upwards instead of down into the ground.

i have just bought a snugglesafe as a starter which i can pick up from an amazon locker on thurs so should be in time for the cold weather but i would prefer to just hook up the drinker and have peace of mind. especially as i am off to london for 2 nights at the weekend and OH never gets up early enough to put the feeders back out for the girls so the stuff will have to stay out overnight...

im very tempted by the Eton heater base but with a plastic drinker on top as i cant really afford a galvanised one on top of the heater price. can anyone reassure me this will be effective enough? I will stand it slightly off the ground to help the heat go upwards instead of down into the ground.

When I had my storage heaters removed, I saved a few of the really heavy bricks that were inside. 3 bricks, the heater pad then the drinker works really well. Only down to -10 this year (-14 a couple of years ago :shock: ) but I have the heater on full time now, just ticking over. If I turn it off, I'll forget to turn it back on again and work away from home, so..... :roll:

I placed one drinker on the heat pad, and another one next to it. The heat radiates through the bricks and keeps both drinker ice free.

When I had my storage heaters removed, I saved a few of the really heavy bricks that were inside. 3 bricks, the heater pad then the drinker works really well. Only down to -10 this year (-14 a couple of years ago :shock: ) but I have the heater on full time now, just ticking over. If I turn it off, I'll forget to turn it back on again and work away from home, so..... :roll:

I placed one drinker on the heat pad, and another one next to it. The heat radiates through the bricks and keeps both drinker ice free.

thats brilliant thanks Christian, wish i'd kept some of the storage heater bricks from ours now but used them as part of the WIR base!! might just have to use a couple of bricks instead, great tip on keeping the other drinker next to it- i might position the grub and glug stand so the glug can get some radiated heat.

hopefully it should arrive tomorrow, ive just picked up a 25m extension cable to rig it up with!

I found a solution that has been staring me in the face for ages. We have had a 12v lighting system in the garden, the sort you get from DIY stores for a couple of years. These two have 20 watt halogen bulbs in copper lamps. I simply buried the cables in the run with the lamps just above the surface, covered them each with an earthenware flower pot upturned.

I then stood the drinker on top of the flowerpot and also hung a chain to the drinker from the roof so it wouldn't get knocked over and plugged it all back in. So far it has kept things ice free down to minus five and the drinkers haven't melted, best of all I stuck a remote control on the plug and now it all works from the kitchen :clap:

And the lights havent been missed either, nor has anyone spotted the strange glowing green things in the run at night