Pipichick

Frozen Glugs/Water - read and post it here!

Hi

I've been frantic about the frozen water problem and have been reading all the posts here. It has been pretty cold here and I came home from work to find the Glug had frozen completely solid.

I knew I had to sort this out and so got up very very early and did a bit of a Blue Peter-style construction. I found a cardboard box and covered it in bubble wrap, going round and round so it had about 4 layers all around. I then covered the whole thing in jute which I happened to have - it's the stuff you use to cover plants in the winter. This kept everything neat and tidy. The box is on its side with the open end on one side.

I then lined the bottom of the box with cardboard and paper. I heated 2 Snugglesafes and put one at the back of the box and one on the floor. I then balanced the Glug in and packed all around with more bubble wrap. I placed the box in the WIR on top of a double layer of polystyrene sheets.

It seems to have worked. I came home at lunchtime and it was fine. By 7 o'clock in the evening, there was just a film of ice formed - but by then the girls were all in bed. They haven't tried to eat any of my creation so far!

The girls don't seem to be drinking much during this weather though - is this normal?

They seem to be making a big noise a lot of the time - I guess the are complaining about the cold!

Good luck in the cold snap

Hazel

x

Well after a week of changing the water several times a day due to it freezing (thank god work is closed due to snow) I have ordered a snugglesafe to go under the drinker. I will still bring it in during the night and put fresh out in the morning but I will feel so much better going to work knowing the water will not freeze.

Sage

Me too!! horray! I have alsways brought my water in every eve and replaced it with fresh the next day. My poor girls, on monday the water froze completly during the day, it must have frozen quite early in the day because hardly any water had gone when I came back from work. They had 'eaten' most of the ice from the dish at the bottom of the water feeder and the main resevior had frozen solid so no more water had replaced it! When I let them out the next day they just drank and drank and drank! poor girls!

Rachel

How to stop your glug from freezing!

Hi folks!

Get yourselves an aquarium heater (15 to 25 watt will be more then adequate, bit bigger won't hurt). Get a good make. Cheaper ones can be temperamental and are not safe to be used outside of water.

Set the thermostat nice and low, 12c would be fine, and put it inside your glug. To take power safely outside buy an outdoor socket extension.

As the heater has a thermostatic it will only come on when necessary and then switch off when the water reaches the desired temperature. All you need to do is make sure the glug is topped up as necessary....

Problem sorted! :clap:

What type of sugar can't they metabolise? Fruit contains fructose and I've seen someone feeding their chooks scones without any apparent ill effect.

We were thinking about sugar or food-safe glycerol, research (by scientists, not by us!) suggests the girls can have glycerin/glycerol (different names, same molecule). Glycerol used to be used in car antifeeze - NOT the same as ethylene glycol that is currently used and is toxic.

I may also give the olive/cod liver oil a go; it's not an antifreeze as such as oil and water don't mix but maybe it forms enough of a barrier to the air to help stop freezing. I'm also going to build the drinker a jacket from bubblewrap covered in the thick reflective stuff you put behind radiators. Doubt they'll eat it but they may start admiring themselves in it!

It's a bit of a pickle - we're away for 5 nights, the run's too far from the house to run electricity out and our chicken sitters live a few miles away so are unlikely to come every morning and evening! Luckily the hen house is in a sheltered spot and I intend to add some insulation outside (can I get a grant for that?) so the girls should be cosy as long as the thermometer doesn't plummet.

Maybe a chat with the chicken sitters would help.

Hmmm. :think:

Well taps that is. Instant water in the mornings for the chickens..fantastic! The reason being hubby bought this wire thing off ebay. It's for reptiles really to wrap round a branch. It is waterproof, so he wrapped it round the outside taps & threaded it in through the window & plugged into the back porch. It works a treat. No more boiling kettles to defrost them in the morning. Just have to remember to empty the glugs at night that's all.

Emma.x

I was trying to check Orakiah's glug every 30 mins - 1 hour yesterday but because i'm ill i went to sleep,3 hours later Orakiahs glug was Frozen Solid, 4 full kettles later i managed to get rid of all the ice :dance:

But lastnight (After lock-up) i had bought in the glug and it was frozen solid again,i left it in the sink and there was still alot of ice in there at 7:30am.

bring the feeders and drinkers in at night. Fresh warm tap water and food in the morning for when the girls get up. 15.00pm Layers meal with veg, mash or porridge to warm them up before going to bed. Tried the snugglesafe ( Had two) one leaked after two weeks with clear fluid that turned white :anxious: . I burnt my hand when getting it out of the microwave. Oh what could it of done to my chickens. I no longer use them, even though the other one appears fine. I invested in a clear tapeline that covers the whole of the run of my extension, leaving the front of the run open for ventilation on one of my cubes. This helps keep my family of chickens warmer and the run drier. :dance:

I wish you all a happy Christmas :dance:

(cube lilac)

(cube purple)

(cube green)

I've got the glug with the nipples. Early this fall, the nipples started either freezing closed or freezing open - sometimes it would leak. I was bringing it in every night, but it would freeze quickly during the day. I put out a heated dog water dish, and that has been working well. It's a one gallon size, so it doesn't tip over when they perch on the rim, it takes minimal power, and it hasn't frozen even when it got to 5 below (on the Fahrenheit scale). I did use an outdoor extension cord as the nearest outlet was about 10 feet away from the run. If you can't use electricity, the set up with two snuggle safes sounds like it would keep the water unfrozen most of the day. I saw a product called a Solar Sipper for wild birds. It is passive solar and might provide enough unfrozen water for a few birds.

Furry

I put 2 bales of straw on their sides, one either side of the girl's water (which is a large gravity drinker hung from the roof of the WIR) and so far it hasnt frozen :D . We've had overnight frost twice so far this year so fingers crossed that the bales keep the water liquid during the day :pray: .

I've also bought a snugglesafe just in case the snow arrives!