Pipichick

Frozen Glugs/Water - read and post it here!

I've tried Pingpong Balls in Orakiah's Glug but the water was still freezing over. I've been bringing it in at night now though but i'm thinking about buying a Couple of small rubber bath ducks and putting them in the glug to see if that stops the water freezing over.

I've had the same problem, going to invest in a snugglesafe soon as i've heard good things about it.

You just pop it in the microwave and it's supposed to stay warm for 9-10hrs so you can put it under the drinker.

I think it might be firm too (anybody know?) so the drinker wont fall over......

Depends if you want to spend any money.

Yep My snugglesafe is Firm but on one side it does have a bit that slightly dips in,I'm not sure if this is normal though (Can get pictures if needed)

I've been putting my snugglesafe in the microwave for 5 minutes (our's is 900 watts) and when i've been getting it out of the Eglu 10 hours later it's been cold :eh:

I've been bringing in one of the glugs overnight then taking it out with warm water from the tap in it so when they are let out of the (cube green) and (orange eglu) they have some un-frozen water to drink straight away. During the day, the other glug usually thaws out - if not I pop a bit of hot water in and it unfreezes. One glug is enough for them anyway. I also take out hot porridge for them in the morning: Deryn isn't interested but the other five love it.

I haven't activated the snugglesafe yet: I only have one, and I think I'd put it in the (cube green) as the banties are good at huddling up in the (orange eglu) . I'm thinking about putting them all in together as well.

I threw some corn down to my very fed-up girls yesterday and some went in the lip of their water 'thingy' - not the glug I also use. I went out this morning to retrieve the frozen water 'thingy' and replace with fresh water in another 'thingy'. To my amazement the water in the lip, where the corn was, was not frozen. The water was frozen around the sides of the container as usual, but it meant the girls had some water for the couple of minutes they were up before me. :clap:

So I'll miss-throw more corn at the water 'thingy' this afternoon and report back tomorrow to confirm this wonderful finding.

It just about worked - there was some ice but it was silly minus figures overnight. I think that on a normal cold winter's night we have our answer. :dance:

We bring our grub and glug inside at night time after shutting the girls in the Eglu. The grub and clean water in the glug go back out in the morning (about 6:30am) when I get up and let the girls out into their run.

We're at work all day and when we get home just after 4pm the water is usually frozen or just starting to freeze but the chooks having died of dehydration yet! They don't need to drink as much in cold weather plus if they are pecking at the snow, that will obviously wet their whistle so I'm not worried.

Going away for the night might cause me some concern - we wouldn't leave them to fend for themselves - we'd definitely get some help, or ship them off to our chicken sitter :)

Just couple of questions regarding this cold weather. Ist how much ventilation should I allow overnight, at the moment the small door at the top of my wooden coop is about an inch open do you think that is adequate for 7 chooks considering respiratory problems etc. 2nd how can I stop my water freezing up have thought of ping pong balls but I seem to need more than one and I was wondering if this might put the chooks off drinking, could I use glycerin or something similiar? Lastly I have a powerful electric light in my run would it be worth leaving it on during the day, would it improve egg production or would it upset the narural seasonal changes. All my chooks seem healthy otherwise... I got 4 eggs today.....fab!

Corn fed before roosting time keeps the chooksdigestion working hard all night and so keeps them warm. if you soak that corn in water before feeding it will help keep them hydrated so if they miss out on water throughout the day because its freezes then the soaked corn will help greatly

Over the weekend my hens' water container froze three times in one day! This made me very concerned due to the long shifts I do as I could not be there to defrost the water container. Therefore I as polystyrene is warm I concluded that if I created a polystyrene base for the water container to sit on it would prevent the water from freezing. That evening a spent over an hour and a half with an old polystyrene packing case and some elastic bands creating a purpose built insulated base for the water container. I was very proud of the finished product and the following morning proudly presented it to the girls. I then left for work comforted by the thought the water would not freeze. That night I got home and rushed to the hen house to see how my creation had fared. The sight before me stopped me in my tracks. The girls had not just decimated my polystyrene creation, they had eaten it! The polystyrene was no more! I was mortified! I remonstrated with the girls telling them how much effort I had put into this project and they had destroyed it! Neither of them gave a hoot! By the way what was left of my creation did work, the water did not freeze! Anyway I removed what was left and put the girls to bed. Next morning I got the girls up and as I lifted the lid to clear the pooh out of their house, I was met with yet more horror! The pooh was all pale green with literally hundreds of white balls mixed in. In the darkness lit only by a small torch the sight was astonishing. All the white bits were the polystyrene the girls had eaten. Happily the girls are no worse for wear but if anyone else thinks that polystyrene insulation is the answer, then think again!

In my quest, I've stumbled upon an idea which might work for some.

Bake a house brick in the oven for a couple of hours. Then wrap it up snugly. Apparently, due to the dense nature of brick it will draw in the heat quickly, stay warm, and give off plenty of heat over a period of hours.

Stick it under the Glug, so that the bottom of the Glug sits on the brick whilst still hanging from the run bars. I think this will probably work for me, just keeping the Glug from freezing over if I was going away in the evening and knew I wouldn't be back in the morning to thaw it.

:dance:

All I do is empty the water containers after the hens have gone to bed and hang them back up empty. They haven't frozen solid at this point: that happens during the night.

Then all I have to do in the morning is fill them up from a watering can, which is much easier, as there is not so much to carry down the garden.

This may sound obvious, but I didn't think of it the first time I looked after hens during an icy spell.

A friend recommended placing a galvanized drinker on 2 bricks and placing a tea light in a jar underneath. Day 3 and it is working really well. :D Ok, you have to change the candle after 5 hours, but that beats changing the water 3-4 times a day. I have wedged the drinker against the side of the run so the candle is protected from the wind and inquisitive hens.

I've got two superglugs, and the most anoying bit is the metal nipples that freezes solid from the inside. If you are brave enough (and it is not solid yet) and you stick your hand in the water, there are perfect round mable ice bobbles frozen around the nipple on the inside. And unless you run that under a hot tap, you can forget to get that nipple working again! Might have to think of an alternative drinker for winter...

All I do is empty the water containers after the hens have gone to bed and hang them back up empty. They haven't frozen solid at this point: that happens during the night.

I do this too and it worked like a charm until today, when I found it frozen before lunch time! :shock: I'm glad I have two glugs, as I can keep changing them over. I'm panicking about the cold weather, but the chooks don't seem to mind as my Bluebelle is still laying almost daily, what a trooper! :clap:

I have also adapted a biscuit tin, by making holes in the sides and top and put tea lights inside - we are using a ceramic dish for water and it really seems to be working. :clap: Really pleased with the result. I've invested in a snugglesafe today and have popped it in the (green eglu) to keep off the chill. My poor Lizzie has a sniffle at the moment so I am hoping the extra warmth will help.