welovemarmite

We're all planning walk in runs! PART 3!

It's done!!!!! My chicken terrace (chook high-rise penthouse as slightly sarcastic family keep calling it) - is finally finished after 6 weeks of builders, sand/cement/bricks/slabs and loads of mess!

I am so pleased with it! I have added a link to the photos below.

We had a major floading problem within 2 weeks of course as I am sure most of us has this year but have hopefully solved it. After all the useful advice on here, I added guttering and a water butt but then had to tackle what was flowing along the floor under the frame. After much thinking, I thought of adding a fake floor inside the run so the rain running along the ground would just run under it and it worked! I put about 1" of 10 mm pebbles on top of the slabs inside the run and then made another floor of slabs on top of the pebbles so the rain now seeps under the top layer of slabs through the pebbles and seeps straight out the other side of the run. I know it seems a bit extravagant but after I threw away 2 whole bales of wet stinking aubiouse (about £18 worth) 2 weeks after I put it down I thought the money on slabs/pebbles was well spent! It really works - I tried putting the hosepipe on at the back of the run on full blast and the bedding was completely dry - the water just flowed out the other side through my slab/pebble sandwich!

As you can see from the pictures, we have an Omlet WIR and I am very pleased with it plus the service from Omlet.

I am now thinking up cunning ideas of enrichment for my ladies - currently have 2 rockeries and 2 broom handles for perching and a dust bath (also used for afternoon naps!). Think this week some balconies are going in!

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/81329610@N02/7467176448/

What do you think?

Edited by Guest

After much thinking, I thought of adding a fake floor inside the run so the rain running along the ground would just run under it and it worked! I put about 1" of 10 mm pebbles on top of the slabs inside the run and then made another floor of slabs on top of the pebbles so the rain now seeps under the top layer of slabs through the pebbles and seeps straight out the other side of the run. I know it seems a bit extravagant but after I threw away 2 whole bales of wet stinking aubiouse (about £18 worth) 2 weeks after I put it down I thought the money on slabs/pebbles was well spent! It really works - I tried putting the hosepipe on at the back of the run on full blast and the bedding was completely dry - the water just flowed out the other side through my slab/pebble sandwich!

Ooooooo I like that idea....off to cost putting another floor in :D

oh dear, just costed putting a secondary floor in and it's £180.33 :cry:

The abiouse is soaking wet even though I've actually solved leakage from the rear of the run :cry: It's just from the constant rain seeping under 2 sides!!! :cry::cry:

My 3 girls are coping better with it than I am :lol: and the thought of what the flooring will be like when I get my ex-batts. :cry:

The run takes 3 bales of abiouse (minimum) :?

I do have a few leaks from the roof but to be fair that was to be expected and can get sorted/sealed. Decisions, decisions, decisions......If this is what it is like in SUMMER, what will it be like in winter? :?

Trying freecycle but no joy :cry: Hubby had a panic attack last night when he saw me with the tape measure and on the wickes website :lol:

Have decided sealant is the way...just can't afford the flooring :cry:

Will keep trawling freecycle and see if I cant get the slabs that way and then when I have enough will then do the floor :D

So it's not a no just a not at the moment :lol::lol:

Blimey I'm being realistic/practicable....when did I grow up??? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hello All

I am plannng a WIR and I have avidly been reading all the posts. I am not sure whether to have a solid concrete base or slabs around the edge and have a 'dirt middle'.

At first concrete seemed best but then if rain still gets in and then you are left with soggy aboiuse bedding and the water not draining away ( i had this winter this just gone, eglu ,on concrete covered with shower curtain still everything got wet) they are now on dirt still with shower curtain and just as much rain but staying dry.

also worried in case garden floods which apparently it does...sometimes, then concrete will be best

Help i just keep changing my mind...

slabs around the edge and have a 'dirt middle'.

Welcome to the forum :) . That's exactly what I've got and it works brilliantly. Gives the girls enough to scratch about in if they're confined to barracks and if it gets damp round the edges I just rake up the damp bits and mix them with the dry bits. I'm planning to put sealant round the outside edge as I do get water seeping in quite a bit but it's not a problem.

I think it's really down to personal choice and the circumstances of your garden really. We really had to go with slabs due to the fact that the only way a large WIR would fit would be to add a large raised patio/terrace because our garden is sloped. However due to a recent rat attack on the Eglu and in the run - I am sleeping easier now that they are on concrete slabs and the little horrors can't get my ladies!

It's official - I am officially nuts about my ladies (well maybe just nuts entirely as you will see from below!)

I have just trained all of my ladders to walk up their home made ladder and on to the wire shelving/mezzanine level of their WIR! They were fantastic! Raisins can make ladies very brave!

I am pleased to say that all of my enrichment perches and ladies are wood-free as I wanted them. Particularly pleased and apologies now for the big-head, of my ladder. I bought some off-cuts of PVC cladding from a double glazing company and fashioned a ladder - with one plank-like piece and little pieces glued on crosswise for 'runs'. Then I took a piece of sand paper to it to rough it up a bit so it was not slippery. It worked a treat!

Very pleased with my posh WIR now and hope the ladies are too!

I am pleased to say that all of my enrichment perches and ladies are wood-free as I wanted them. Particularly pleased and apologies now for the big-head, of my ladder. I bought some off-cuts of PVC cladding from a double glazing company and fashioned a ladder - with one plank-like piece and little pieces glued on crosswise for 'runs'. Then I took a piece of sand paper to it to rough it up a bit so it was not slippery. It worked a treat!

Very pleased with my posh WIR now and hope the ladies are too!

Pictures pictures pictures...I have a peice of PVC cladding down the side of the house....hmmmmm now I know what to do with it!! :lol::lol::lol:

i'm so excited (as the song goes) i've just ordered my WIR !!!

Its going to be 8ft by 11ft with a 9ft by 4ft extension/introduction/hospital section.

concrete base, corugated plastic roof, guttering for catching water for water butt.

Shall I paint it blue or green? don't hold your breath for piccies though as hubby is building it and it took him 6 months to put his shed up...but i guess i wasn't nagging him about the shed.